The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 30th November) - Leeds keep pace with top two after early setback

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 30th November) - Leeds keep pace with top two after early setback

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 30th November, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds keep pace with top two after early setback

Leeds kept their unbeaten home record intact, but had to come from behind, to overcome a spirited Swansea City side last night at Elland Road. With six wins and three draws so far, the Whites have the second best home form in the Championship (behind Ipswich Town), and the the only team yet to lose at home.

They felt confident of extending that record, when Dan James netted after just 45 seconds. Unfortunately, his effort was ruled out for offside. Euphoria quickly turned to anguish when, 15 seconds later, Jamie Patterson put the visitors ahead with a delightful chip.

Leeds weren't be be denied, and were level just a few minutes later, thanks mainly to Crysencio Summerville's surging run from halfway, and subsequent perfectly weighted through ball, which Piroe finished off in style. The away fans were incensed by their former heroes' celebrations, but that didn't bother the Dutchman.

After wasting several chances, the Whites finally took the lead, deep into first half injury time. Rutter latched onto Ampadu's long range pass, (played just in front of his own penalty area), bringing the ball under his spell in one touch. He held off the challenge from Humphreys, before beating Rushworth at his near post.

Rutter turned provider for Leeds third, with James smashing the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards to ruin any chance that his former club would stage an unlikely comeback.

Farke snaps back at Duff's assessment of the game

In his post match presser, Leeds boss Daniel Farke was quick to disagree with Michael Duff's assessment of the game. The Jacks boss had just stated that the difference between the two sides was Leeds finishing, which Duff had called 'Premier League quality'. Farke took exception at this, claiming that Leeds were far more dominant during the game, and also pointed at the expected goals or XG (the stat that measures the quality of a chance by calculating the likelihood that it will be scored by using past data) was seven or eight times higher than Swansea's.

I'm not sure if we would agree. I think the difference was the way we create the chances. We created chances through the centre, over the wing out of counter attacks. Like I mentioned before, expected goals for us was seven or eight times as high as their expected goals was.

I didn't see too many saves from Meslier today and also not shots against the crossbar or post. I think we didn't allow them to have chances apart from this, yeah, we had the scene at the beginning of the of the game. I think the difference was today that we created many, many chances. Yes, in terms of finishing we can definitely use our chance better. So efficiency is the topic we always speak about but yeah, also the way we scored the three goals was also outstanding.

Yeah, can't criticise my offensive players today too much in terms of the performance and also how they create a chances, also the way they scored the three goals. It was great today.

Spence on the comeback trail

We can expect to see Djed Spence back in action over the 'upcoming weeks', according to Leeds Manager Daniel Farke. The exciting full back has been out of action for nine weeks after a freak knee injury, he sustained in training put him out of in training, back in September. He has resumed full training at Thorp Arch and will gradually be eased back into action. Luke Ayling was dropped from the squad last night, as Spence was named in Farke's 20 man squad...

Yes, it was no gift. Djed is 11 or 12 days in training and you can see him growing more or less from training session to training session. He also gained some fitness obviously after such a long-term injury and also after such a difficult pre-season for him so he can't be there with 100 per cent. Today we got the feeling he deserves already to be in the squad because the last days and training he was quite on it and it was quite impressive for that we decided today to have Djed as an option also with us.

Yes, if he works that concentrated and focused, especially on this fitness level, because we don't have to talk about this potential and his quality, he has proved this on this level. If you work further on that, focused and concentrated in training each and every day and also to gain more and more rhythm. Yes, also good chances in the upcoming weeks to be involved with game time.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 30th November) - Leeds keep pace with top two after early setback

Post by The Subhuman »

DF is right, only one team in that
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 30th November) - Leeds keep pace with top two after early setback

Post by 60sUnited »

Well, after the bizarre 1st minute (when I was still settling into my seat !) I can't remember Meslier being troubled ! Yes, for the last 25 minutes of the first half we allowed them to dominate the midfield but it didn't result in any goal threats.....we were definitely worth the win.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It was a very comfortable second half for sure, but Swansea did look decent in the first half and knocked the ball about well, although Meslier didn't have too much to do in terms of saves.

Once Spence is fully fit and I assume becomes first choice RB, where does that leave Archie? Cover for him as well as cover for Kamara?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 am It was a very comfortable second half for sure, but Swansea did look decent in the first half and knocked the ball about well, although Meslier didn't have too much to do in terms of saves.

Once Spence is fully fit and I assume becomes first choice RB, where does that leave Archie? Cover for him as well as cover for Kamara?
Having seen the way archie played left back for 5 min last night ,i reckon archie can be the new Paul Madeley.
Really enjoying this season good manager ,great recruitment and entertaining football Hurrah!
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Another 3 points, another disgruntled away manager trying it on.
United deserved the win, could and should have been by a bigger margin, where have we heard that before, and theres no doubt we'll all hear it again and again and again, thing is, we're still getting the points, I get as frustrated as anybody by firstly, not getting all 3 points (stoke, rotherham etc) when we deseve them, and secondly, when we squander chances created, still, we can't have everything can we ?
Not too long ago we could have been 17 points behind Leicester, we are now only 8, Ipswich are 1 behind, the league is wide open, but we have to keep our good form going.
Our strength in depth worries me, but then when I look at other teams, we probably have as good a squad in the league, so why worry !!
3 points on Saturday will be another welcome present, but it will be hard work.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

Lets see 2 minutes to half time, wind velocity nil, temperature hovering around zero, why not try a long ball, not too near their keeper, just drop it outside their 18 yard box.

Observe where their defence is, tan of 45°is about the correct trajectory, now calculate the velocity and backspin on the ball.

See how it falls over Rutter's shoulder, see how he hooks it out of the air just like Andy Cole. What a delicate first touch, now inside the penalty box and the defender daren't touch him.

Keeper rushes out and does a star jumps to make himself big, and Rutter with his left foot passes the ball into the net. It is a finesse, and Rutter wheels away spinning his wrist like he has a magic wand and he has become a footballing wizard.

Avada Kedavra... have you been entertained?
Last edited by Sean_Nile on Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

What I loved about that goal was that it wasn't just a whallop from Ampadu, it was lofted and weighted to perfection and Rutter's first touch was pure filth!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Swansea played some nice passing football at points through the first half but they had nothing in the final third, second half was as routine a victory as you could hope to see - they were lucky we gifted them one goal.

Got to feel for Ayling, must be tough for a player who has been, let’s be honest, instrumental and a top character for us since he came here to suddenly not even be making the match day squad - I hope he feels he still has a role whilst he remains with us and is getting involved a little with coaching the younger lads.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

airedale wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:38 am Having seen the way archie played left back for 5 min last night ,i reckon archie can be the new Paul Madeley.
Really enjoying this season good manager ,great recruitment and entertaining football Hurrah!
Don’t you sometimes wish there was a financial way to remain in the champ and leave the prem to billionaires and oil countries? Sadly remaining in the champ just means a steady decline to a point where we shut half the stadium and risk financial ruin every season - serious thought needs to go in to a solution for enriching more than just 10 teams across the whole land - begging for scraps shouldn’t be the only way!
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:39 am Swansea played some nice passing football at points through the first half but they had nothing in the final third, second half was as routine a victory as you could hope to see - they were lucky we gifted them one goal.

Got to feel for Ayling, must be tough for a player who has been, let’s be honest, instrumental and a top character for us since he came here to suddenly not even be making the match day squad - I hope he feels he still has a role whilst he remains with us and is getting involved a little with coaching the younger lads.
I agree with all of this.
I was quite shocked to see Ayling omitted from the match squad, with three other attack minded players on the bench in Bamford, Anthony and Gnonto, I thought Poveda would be the one to be left out.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

airedale wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:38 am Having seen the way archie played left back for 5 min last night ,i reckon archie can be the new Paul Madeley.
My take exactly. How good would that be?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:43 am Don’t you sometimes wish there was a financial way to remain in the champ and leave the prem to billionaires and oil countries? Sadly remaining in the champ just means a steady decline to a point where we shut half the stadium and risk financial ruin every season - serious thought needs to go in to a solution for enriching more than just 10 teams across the whole land - begging for scraps shouldn’t be the only way!
They tried it last season (or whenever) with the European Super League and we all clambered for it to fail. Maybe in retrospect we may have been a little hasty. If they moot it again perhaps we should let them go then level that playing field.?
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Orange Box wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:18 pm They tried it last season (or whenever) with the European Super League and we all clambered for it to fail. Maybe in retrospect we may have been a little hasty. If they moot it again perhaps we should let them go then level that playing field.?
Wasn’t that just a champions league replacement? they would still have stayed in the prem. I suppose the issue is that even with a premier league 2 etc the money would still just rise to the top
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:23 pm Wasn’t that just a champions league replacement? they would still have stayed in the prem. I suppose the issue is that even with a premier league 2 etc the money would still just rise to the top
What’s the saying? Money rises, sh:t falls.
ruttermania
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by ruttermania »

Isn't there just the tiniest possibility that relegation may because of it's timing have been a blessing in disguise . There was a sense that after the 1st season back in the Premiership that it all started to go wrong and then we headed down completely the wrong path with Marsch which compounded the problems . There is a sense that DF has learned some lessons from what happened with Norwich and with solid finances and a good team around him we have a half decent chance of being a Leicester (excluding last season) or Brighton . This is all predicated on achieving promotion and that is a major challenge although it feels a lot more doable than it looked a month ago. After that with a crackdown on Profitability and Sustainability who knows what the world will look like in years time.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:39 am Swansea played some nice passing football at points through the first half but they had nothing in the final third, second half was as routine a victory as you could hope to see - they were lucky we gifted them one goal.

Other than a serious injury pile-up and think its game over for Luke. Like you say he's been a stalwart for the club and will be fondly remembered. If he wants to carry on playing ft football he will have to move on. If i take sentiment out of it and if we don't go up, Spence will go back and potentially Archie will be sold. He's still the wrong side of thirty to stake a claim.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Chilli D wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 am It was a very comfortable second half for sure, but Swansea did look decent in the first half and knocked the ball about well, although Meslier didn't have too much to do in terms of saves.

I can see DF using Archie to cover across midfield and LB. Maybe even a stint in at 10 for the crack....
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

WhiteRose wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:43 am Don’t you sometimes wish there was a financial way to remain in the champ and leave the prem to billionaires and oil countries? Sadly remaining in the champ just means a steady decline to a point where we shut half the stadium and risk financial ruin every season - serious thought needs to go in to a solution for enriching more than just 10 teams across the whole land - begging for scraps shouldn’t be the only way!
It much more fun winning most weeks isn't it. I'm an hypocrite personally tho. I don't like the PL because i know we will never compete at the top (i've never been a taking part for the fun of it geezer) and yet here we are doing to other teams in the Championship what the PL top 6 usually do to us with the budgets reflective of that.

Am i in Football for the wrong reasons. Its certainly not for the love of it..... :duno:
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

ruttermania wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:14 pm Isn't there just the tiniest possibility that relegation may because of it's timing have been a blessing in disguise . There was a sense that after the 1st season back in the Premiership that it all started to go wrong and then we headed down completely the wrong path with Marsch which compounded the problems . There is a sense that DF has learned some lessons from what happened with Norwich and with solid finances and a good team around him we have a half decent chance of being a Leicester (excluding last season) or Brighton . This is all predicated on achieving promotion and that is a major challenge although it feels a lot more doable than it looked a month ago. After that with a crackdown on Profitability and Sustainability who knows what the world will look like in years time.
That's what all the fallen PL angels will be telling themselves. The difference in quality has shocked me. Imo as good as we feel this team to be the inconsistency we show would bite us hard in the PL and when confidence goes its a long old season in the PL. Its been said a million times on here that Football is not about millions anymore, forget even low levels billions.... becoming a plaything for the richest men in the world is where we are at.