The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 1st December) Funds in place to increase capacity to 55,000

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 1st December) Funds in place to increase capacity to 55,000

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 1st December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Funds in place to increase capacity to 55,000

49ers Enterprise have accelerated plans to expand the capacity at Elland Road, after securing funds upwards of £100m through sales of shares in the West Yorkshire club. Presently, Elland Road can accommodate 37,800 fans, but has a waiting list of over 20,000. It is hoped, that with major development (especially to the West Stand), that the capacity can be increased to 55,000.

Ackerley Partners, a US venture capital firm, will be fronting the cash needed for the project. The Washington based company already own NHL side Seattle Kraken as well as Basketball outfits Seattle Supersonics and Seattle Storm.

Will increasing the Elland Road capacity have an effect on fans experience

Whilst increasing the capacity at Elland Road will allow thousands more Leeds fans to see their heroes in action every month, what kind of impact will it have on the fans?

Plans to develop, and build to a brand new 'state of the art' Stadium on the outskirts of Leeds have been put on hold (in the short to mid term at least), so for now, this is the only option available to the club. It will allow almost 20,000 more fans to watch the game in person, and raise revenue to £400m a season.

Row after row of tiered seating will ensured thousands more get to go to games, but by watching the game from further away / a more elevated position, will it spoil fans enjoyment? It's not as if the present seating situation can be tweaked! The distance between seats is already snug, and with hardly any space to the rows in-front, it is a surprise that more accidents of falling backwards have not been reported.

Is Summerville worth £40m

Crysensio Summerville has had a fairy-tale start to the season, with seven goals, six assists and six man-of the-match awards thus far. His match-winning performances have elevated him to the top of the 'Whoscored' rankings, with an average rating of 7.81. His new inverted winger/third striker role suits him, and he is only getting better. It would be foolish to assume that top flight clubs weren't paying attention to what he has bought to the Elland Road party this season. What kind of value would you put on 22yo? At what price would you consider selling him in January if you had to?

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 1st December)

Post by Chilli D »

I know I'm in the minority on here but I would much rather we built a new stadium somewhere on the outskirts of Leeds rather than redevelop the current stadium. I know people talk about the club's history but the likes of Arsenal. Tottenham and Man City have done it so why not us?

Is Summerville worth 40 million?
Yes in my opinion but it's all about what club's are willing to pay. He and Rutter and the two we will miss most if they get injured.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Elland Road lacks the infrastructure for another 20k fans, the whole area around it gridlocks for hours on match day, any expansion needs a train station building with it ideally. The only thing to do really is steadily replace all 3 stands, the south is the issue though not sure what you can do with that when it’s so close to the road. Maybe its time to move on and not throw good money at it and build a new stadium - would need to be bloody good though not some dull grey metal shed.

Other issue is if we don’t go up in the next season or two that waiting list will start to evaporate to nothing and existing season ticket holders will give theirs up.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
I'll believe the 55,000 when I see it, also it ought to be 60,000, where is this mythical stadium going to be !!!!
Won't be at ER as it lacks infrastructure for another 20,000 fans, there is a trainline not far away, the M621 which is gridlocked, the surrounding roads are no better, I appreciate it's not much different to most other grounds really, but, ER , can it cope with that much re-development !!!

Summerville £40M ?
Yes, of course he is, when pitting him against others that have gone for more certainly he is, about time we started putting high price tags on all our players.
A player is worth what another team is willing to pay, who gives a toss what "whoscored or webuyanycar" think !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 1st December) Funds in place to increase capacity to 55,000

Post by whiteswan »

Love the sound of a redeveloped Elland Road.

Not really interested in putting prices on our players heads. If we are serious about promotion and building a successful team we need to be keeping hold of the likes of Summerville.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 1st December) Funds in place to increase capacity to 55,000

Post by The Subhuman »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:31 am Love the sound of a redeveloped Elland Road.

Not really interested in putting prices on our players heads. If we are serious about promotion and building a successful team we need to be keeping hold of the likes of Summerville.
ditto ..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:31 am Love the sound of a redeveloped Elland Road.

Exactly that swannie
Same as the others that the manager deems good enough to keep, we'll never build a team for the future if we let our stars go on a regular basis, surely the owners have to recognise this as well.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

They’d better be expanding The Peacock too….
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

I get what others are saying about keeping our best players to build a better team, and i fully go along with that. Problem is, what do the better players themselves want ? or how do they see something like this panning out ? They will be offered bigger salaries from other clubs and despite what some players do, like kissing the badge and saying all the things fans want to hear, loyalty wont come into it.
We need forward thinking people running the club who will be prepared to maybe suffer a season or 2 in this league knowing they are building a proper squad for the future, one that can go up and stay up. There is also the difficult task of getting the other players to come to the club and to buy into that scenario.
On a positive note maybe now we are seeing something like that beginning to happen, we have bought and loaned better players than we have recently ( who would have thought that was possible :) ) and we seem to have got ourselves a decent manger, i know some wont go along with that :) It also looks like we have got better people behind the scenes who appear to be doing a much better job at running the club, so i guess as always is the case, time will tell.

Talk of building a new one is always a difficult debate and there will always be those that are totally opposed to it. Is there an area already earmarked for such a venture ? or is it just speculation at present ?
Is this proposal to redevelop ER dependent on us getting promotion, or is it going to happen even if we dont ?
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

As much as i don't wanna believe every 'clickbait story, i do like to read stuff like this and hope it's true, this type of thing helps me believe the manager rightly so is pulling the strings and not a clown : Thank the Lord, and nice to see good old 'common sense fron DF

Daniel Farke was the reason Adam Forshaw did not re-sign for Leeds United in the summer.

Forshaw was out of contract at Elland Road at the end of the season but had the opportunity to extend his stay with the club following the offer of a new deal.

Alongside Joel Robles, Forshaw was invited to join up with the rest of the squad for pre-season, an offer both players declined, and in his latest piece for the Athletic, Phil Hay has now shared why.

Leeds and Forshaw had arranged the terms of a new deal on reduced wages but Farke told San Francisco 49ers Enterprises that he wanted to see him train first due to his recent injury record.

Forshaw would’ve found himself in a similar situation to that of Sam Byram, who was invited to Thorp Arch over the summer to prove his fitness, which he did emphatically, before being offered a deal.

Farke showing ruthless side to old guard
However, according to Hay, Forshaw was reluctant to return to Leeds for pre-season without the guarantee of a contract, amid interest from other clubs.

As such, Forshaw amicably decided to end his five-and-a-half-year injury hit stay at Elland Road, eventually joining Norwich City on a free transfer, amid interest from Saudi Arabia.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

The ground need s to move on to the outskirts of Leeds somewhere near motorway access.The roads around Elland Road now can,t cope with the volume of traffic never mind another20,000 people.The roads were constucted when people did not travel to games by car also the parking now is utter choas.I know we all like sentiment but the club need to look to the future .
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

55000 is a hell of a lot of seats to fill, it would in fact come close to out best ever attendance of just under 60000.

That needs more than a stadium, that needs infrastructure, roads. public transport, hotel capacity, airport etc.
It would provide a huge economic boost to the city.

The geography of EL works against us due to the road layout, but with all that room at one side of the ground, currently mainly carparking space I always wondered if there was room to rebuild alongside the existing stadium then knock down the old ground.

Logistical challenge but it woukd keep our address intact.

Re players, Leeds have never been able to hold out against the richer clubs and I doubt that would ever change unless we were picked up but some oil rich cartel from the Middle East.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:02 pm 55000 is a hell of a lot of seats to fill, it would in fact come close to out best ever attendance of just under 60000.

That needs more than a stadium, that needs infrastructure, roads. public transport, hotel capacity, airport etc.
It would provide a huge economic boost to the city.

The geography of EL works against us due to the road layout, but with all that room at one side of the ground, currently mainly carparking space I always wondered if there was room to rebuild alongside the existing stadium then knock down the old ground.

Logistical challenge but it woukd keep our address intact.

Re players, Leeds have never been able to hold out against the richer clubs and I doubt that would ever change unless we were picked up but some oil rich cartel from the Middle East.
It's been my argument for years Ian, and I stand by it, the buses serve ER well enough if you start from the city early enough, maybe sort the train out to go to the line just past where B&Q is/was, then you could walk.

That's another thing altogether, as long as they ain't wrong-un's eh, sportswashing etc.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

If as previous reports suggest they start on the West Stand - they will probably get the capacity up to 40-45k I imagine. The new West stand stand will probably mirror the east stand in a number of ways.

But as others point out any upgrade will include transport links - local planning will be all over it and I would be surprised if the improvements haven’t already been agreed in principle.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:01 pm The ground need s to move on to the outskirts of Leeds somewhere near motorway access.The roads around Elland Road now can,t cope with the volume of traffic never mind another20,000 people.The roads were constucted when people did not travel to games by car also the parking now is utter choas.I know we all like sentiment but the club need to look to the future .
Doesn't the M621 have entry/exit before and after the stadium....?
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Re the stadium- I’m sure the city planners will have a significant say in what we can and cannot do with ER. So any expansion may well be taken out of our hands. As has been said above, the motorway network can’t cope as it is on any given day , let alone match day.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Still think any talk of stadium development is premature

The club isn't in the position to service the inevitable debt for years.

What happens if we get relegated and still have this 100mil 200mil debt to pay back.

You concentrate on pitch first imo
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:59 pm Still think any talk of stadium development is premature

What happens if we get relegated and still have this 100mil 200mil debt to pay back.

Agree with that but on the other hand we are and have been for many a year a club of peaks and troughs so looking for the perfect time to build it may never come. At some point we need to bite the bullet and do it whether it’s just a new stand at elland road or a full stadium elsewhere - elland road seems to shrink every year, will be down to 35k soon.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:40 pm Doesn't the M621 have entry/exit before and after the stadium....?
Yes it does swannie
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

Cjay wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:59 pm Still think any talk of stadium development is premature

What debt, the 49's have sold xx amount of shares and have received £200million