The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 5th December) - Joe Rodon, Wilfred Gnonto swap deal gathering pace

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 5th December) - Joe Rodon, Wilfred Gnonto swap deal gathering pace

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 5th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Joe Rodon, Wilfred Gnonto swap deal gathering pace

Talk of a swap deal involving Joe Rodon and Wilfred Gnonto is gathering pace ahead of next months Winter Transfer Window. The 26 year old centre-back has been in fine form since joining the Whites during the Summer, already chalking up 1294 minutes of game, and forging one of the most stubborn defences in the Championship, alongside Pascal Struijk.

Prior to arriving at Elland Road, the Welsh International endured a difficult couple of years. Spurs shelled out £11m for him back in 2020, but was never able to secure a regular starting berth. Last season, he was lent out to Ligue One outfit Rennes, with an option to buy, but after 15 games, lost his spot to an academy player.

With less than 18 months on his (Rodon) contract, Leeds have the upper hand as far as negotiations are concerned. Online speculation indicates that Leeds value Gnonto at £25m, whilst Spurs would like to double their money on the former Swansea City defender. Recently, the Breakfast Debate caught up with Spurs fanzine favourite 'The Boy Hotspur' who put Rodon's value right about £10m.

Sadly, about £10m, he’s not played and that destroys value…

Firpo out til Christmas

Junior Firpo will be out of action until after Christmas after aggravating his troublesome hamstring during Leeds 3-1 victory over Swansea City last week. The 26 year old was making just his second appearance of the Campaign following a six month lay-off, when he felt discomfort shortly after coming on for Sam Byram with ten minutes left. He was able to see out the game, but missed the visit of Middlesbrough at the weekend. Whilst Sam Byram have proved a useful stop gap, is it time Leeds dug deep into the coffers for someone better?

Blackburn injury crisis ahead of Leeds visit

Blackburn are going through an injury crisis ahead of the Saturday's War of the Roses clash with Leeds Utd. With nine first-teamers out of action, Joh-Dahl Tomasson was forced to name four academy graduates on their bench during last weekends 3-1 defeat at Hillsborough.

The Riversiders' have the deadliest strike force duo in the Championship with attacking midfielder Sammie Szmodics leading the race for the Championship golden boot with 14 goals. The former Colchester Utd Academy prospect believes injuries are beginning to take their toll on the squad:-

Yeah, it's a young bench, a young team. We have been hit with loads of injuries. Tyrhys Dolan really, (Arnor) Sigurdsson didn't travel, we have been hit with lots of them. We can't complain, these things happen in football. The squad isn't humungous, the starting XI has been consistent over the season. The bench was very young and it was a great experience for them.

We are all disappointed with the result today and we will go again. It's the perfect time for a free week, everyone is hurting in there, everyone is tired. The bench is very young, we have found consistency in our form and the manager wants to keep the team the same because we have formed relationships in these games and played well.

DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 5th December) Swap deal gathering pace

Post by DDB220 »

I am not inclined to add any weight to a swap deal - I cannot see any circumstances where we would consider such a bad deal.

Swapping a player does not negate our duty to pay a percentage of a sell on fee. The value of the swap deal would have to be determined and we would get pilloried by UEFA for under valuing Gnonto.

There is nothing about this suggested transfer that makes any sense whatsoever.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

It's gonna be hard with Levy, but i'd love DF to play hardball right to the end, hasn't that Orangeman got some sort of book about how to do a deal ? If Spurs get more injuries (hopefully) and he senses they really want Gnonto, then we've got to get Spence as well, and some dough. Then i might be happy and consider it a 'job well done DF'.

On the other hand, if they look like they're walking away, get on your knees and pray they take the troublesome little twat off us :roflmao: I sense he could be a proper sulking little ba***rd when he don't get his own way, he might be that touch better at shooting than DJ and just as much raw, but DJ more than makes up for that with his workrate and speed to get back and potentially us out of trouble.

Hopefully that's all my Christmas's at once with Firpo and my suspicions he ain't injured at all, so no fcker has to see him play and Betis take him, either way fingers crossed it's ta da Chuck, and 1 less of the clowns trash buys.

H'mm DDB - Blackburn injuries - Another license to print money ? I stuck a tenner on a horse yesterday 'Kenstone' ran like a bag of shite.
First time since Haydock that, i then realised i'd made a mistake, as there was no 'd' on the end :roll:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
If that swap deal were really to happen, we have the upper hand all the way, just knock £10Million off gnontos fee of £35M - £45M job done, if not, a straight £10M for Joe, if not, we wait and he can run down his contract, if not, we look elsewhere for a CH.

Blackburn hit by injuries, whats the betting most of them are back for Saturday, anyway, we have to do the business our way no matter who the opposition,
Keep sticking to the system, it's working in the main, 3 points there would be fantastic.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:14 am It's gonna be hard with Levy, but i'd love DF to play hardball right to the end, hasn't that Orangeman got some sort of book about how to do a deal ? If Spurs get more injuries (hopefully) and he senses they really want Gnonto, then we've got to get Spence as well, and some dough. Then i might be happy and consider it a 'job well done DF'.

On the other hand, if they look like they're walking away, get on your knees and pray they take the troublesome little twat off us :roflmao: I sense he could be a proper sulking little ba***rd when he don't get his own way, he might be that touch better at shooting than DJ and just as much raw, but DJ more than makes up for that with his workrate and speed to get back and potentially us out of trouble.

Hopefully that's all my Christmas's at once with Firpo and my suspicions he ain't injured at all, so no fcker has to see him play and Betis take him, either way fingers crossed it's ta da Chuck, and 1 less of the clowns trash buys.

H'mm DDB - Blackburn injuries - Another license to print money ? I stuck a tenner on a horse yesterday 'Kenstone' ran like a bag of shite.
First time since Haydock that, i then realised i'd made a mistake, as there was no 'd' on the end :roll:
You are spot on about Levy. Whatever happens if we want Rodon we will end up paying well over the odds. A suggested value of 10 million is meaningless, demand determines value.

I just cannot see a swap deal it would be a lose lose for us.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 5th December) - Joe Rodon, Wilfred Gnonto swap deal gathering pace

Post by Clitheroe White »

Firpo out - oh well, won't lose sleep. The issue comes if Byram gets crocked, then who plays LB?
Struijk but then the centre defence is weakened a lot
Shacks?
Dallas - How close is he?

Gnonto - suspect we won't sell or swap him in Jan. Everything will wait until we know what league we are in next season.
Plus Rodon with 12 month left on his contact will be reducing in value to spurs.
DavidH
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 5th December) - Joe Rodon, Wilfred Gnonto swap deal gathering pace

Post by DavidH »

Another dimension about Gnonto going. Less chance of Summerville staying if his best pal is no longer at Elland Road day to day. Did you see it was Gnonto that Summerville ran to after scoring his goal on Saturday? Don't rush to get him off the books. Might end with both going to Spurs.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:22 am Morning all.
If that swap deal were really to happen, we have the upper hand all the way, just knock £10Million off gnontos fee of £35M - £45M job done, if not, a straight £10M for Joe, if not, we wait and he can run down his contract, if not, we look elsewhere for a CH.

Blackburn hit by injuries, whats the betting most of them are back for Saturday, anyway, we have to do the business our way no matter who the opposition,
Keep sticking to the system, it's working in the main, 3 points there would be fantastic.
I cant see us getting more than 25m for Gnonto, and if we could pick up Rodon for 10m, that would be good business.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I remember commenting about Szmodics on here when he was banging in goals for Colchester and we were in the championship (pre Bielsa). He went to Bristol City but struggled for whatever reason and was sold to Peterborough where he started scoring again and got his move to Blackburn. 14 goals is a very good return at this stage of the season. He is obviously their danger man and will have to watched on Saturday.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:11 am I cant see us getting more than 25m for Gnonto, and if we could pick up Rodon for 10m, that would be good business.
Yea but Gnonto is young, very young, we have a high sell on to factor in, plus I'm just stating how I would do it, play hardball with Levy like he always does, we're in the driving seat :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Do Spurs need Gnonto that badly. Not sure.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:35 am Yea but Gnonto is young, very young, we have a high sell on to factor in, plus I'm just stating how I would do it, play hardball with Levy like he always does, we're in the driving seat :tup:
What about £25m for Gnonto.

We pay £10m for Rodon

AND £150,000 for yourself :shhh:
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:03 am What about £25m for Gnonto.

We pay £10m for Rodon

AND £150,000 for yourself :shhh:
Sounds reasonable :tup:
Is that £150,000 to dispose of Firpo
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:20 am Sounds reasonable :tup:
Now there's an idea, could we throw in Firpo and get a proper one over on Levy.

It would be the deal to break all deals if we actually told him he's well worth the 13m we paid + some.

Am i dreaming he's actually that daft ? :duno:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:20 am Sounds reasonable :tup:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
marie67
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by marie67 »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:45 am Do Spurs need Gnonto that badly. Not sure.
Wouldn't have thought so.

They have Kulusevski, Johnson, Richarlison, Son, Gil, Perisic and Solomon who can play wide.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

marie67 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:47 am Wouldn't have thought so.

They have Kulusevski, Johnson, Richarlison, Son, Gil, Perisic and Solomon who can play wide.
Don’t see it myself. He’ll struggle to get much game time.
If they take Gnonto as a swap they’ll not be meeting our demands that’s for sure.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:36 pm Don’t see it myself. He’ll struggle to get much game time.
If they take Gnonto as a swap they’ll not be meeting our demands that’s for sure.
Then it's up to DF to me, to handle it how he sees fit.

;@)
pjm2019
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by pjm2019 »

DavidH wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:59 am Another dimension about Gnonto going. Less chance of Summerville staying if his best pal is no longer at Elland Road day to day. Did you see it was Gnonto that Summerville ran to after scoring his goal on Saturday? Don't rush to get him off the books. Might end with both going to Spurs.
OR Summerville ran up to Gnonto after scoring and said "see thats what i can do as i am starting each game"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:36 pm Don’t see it myself. He’ll struggle to get much game time.
He'd be loaned out...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"