The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 6th December) - Leeds to rescue Brereton Diaz from La Liga nightmare?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 6th December) - Leeds to rescue Brereton Diaz from La Liga nightmare?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 7th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds to rescue Brereton Diaz from La Liga nightmare

Leeds have been linked with a surprise move for former Blackburn Rovers forward Ben Brereton Diaz in New Year. The 23 year old Chilean International joined Villareal in the Summer when his contract expired at Ewood Park, but has not been able to settle in Spain. He has been afforded just 223 minutes of game time this season, and has a 'Whoscored' rating of just 6.03.

Brereton Diaz has been linked with Leeds several times, but his £20m+ price tag was always a big deterrent. In his last two seasons with Blackburn, he registered 38 goals, and 7 assists. Whilst Leeds have one of the deadliest strike forces in the Championship, they do not have the strength in depth, should they face an injury crisis.

Patrick Bamford and Joe Gelhardt have fallen down the pecking order in recent times, whilst Matteo Joseph is still unproven at this level. If Leeds were to cash in on Gnonto, they could secure Rodon's long term services, and could have enough for Ben Brereton Diaz!

Quartet of top flight clubs tracking Greenwood

A quartet of top flight London clubs are monitoring the progress of Leeds midfielder Sam Goodwood. The former Arsenal academy prospect joined the Whites during the 2020 Summer transfer window in a deal worth £1.5m plus add-ons. After missing out on pre-season due to injury, the 21 year old was allowed to join Middlesbrough on loan, where he is currently flourishing.

As well as being their joint top scorer (4 in just 750 minutes of game time), he has quickly established himself as being one of their best players. This has caught the attention of Premier League quartet Brentford, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Fulham, as well as Southampton and Leicester City. Boro have a £1.5m option to buy Greenwood, but the lure of the top flight may be too hard for Greenwood to ignore.

Marsch - I'm a TV personality now

Former Leeds Manager Jesse Marsch has ambitions of Managing top European sides with Champions League aspirations, but will wait for the right opportunity to come up. Following his dismissal from Elland Road, the 50yo considered taking the reigns at St Mary's, and was on the short list for the Leicester City role, before upping sticks and moving to Italy, where he is currently enjoying punditry work. When asked recently where his future lies, the former USA International cheekily replied that he was a TV personality now, before giving a more pragmatic response.

I'm focused on what I'm doing here in Europe, which is trying this (punditry work), but I really still think that my future lies here in Europe and finding good clubs to coach here. I'm a little bit more of someone who enjoys the daily grind of being part of a team, and I feel like that's the way to really impact a group.

So I mean, let's see what happens. You never know you can never say never, but I'm really happy living here in Europe. I'm really happy with with the challenge of getting to know new cultures, languages, teams leagues... Champions League, right there's nothing for me bigger than Champions League.

VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 6th December)

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Taking Diaz on loan would be a decent shout. See how he fits in and asses his attitude and fitness.

Not sure on Greenwood being good enough for the Premiership. If I was in his position I'd go though.

Marsch must have the ear of a club in Italy else why move there? He's got the gob for punditry. Pity his teams are not up to his vocal ability.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Diaz seems a no brainer, how much did they pay Rovers for him ?

Good on Sam, his brief stop and starts for leeds never did him any favours, when starting nervous energy would've got the better of him i feel and played a part in his displays, i hope this turns out to be another tick in the DF book if he thought "H'mmm this kids alright, but somethings just not quite right, i've enough players up front, i don't particularly want to get rid of him permanently coz he might come good finding his feet elsewhere - I know, i'll send him somewhere decentish on loan see what happens "

Ohhh Jesse, It brings back all those players to mind and our 'chicken bart thed games', Sara did warn us, not your fault though son, that Grade A Class 1 Clown has some spiel on him, and the money was good for you innit - I see Rasmus scored recently though :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morning all.

Jesse Marsch.

The Incredible Bullshitting Man.

Diaz wouldnt get a start in our Leeds side, unless we sold one of our current front four that is.

Financially wise the only one which would make sense would be Jimmy, and that would be tough to take. Then Diaz might get a game. Though Id rather we used Joffy..

As for Wee Willy, before anyone counts up the profits from any supposed sale ( and how much does a player who cant get a start in the Championship fetch? ) Lets NOT forget the 20% minimum of the profits sell on clause agreed with FC Zurich.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:12 am Morning all.

Jesse Marsch.

The Incredible Bullshitting Man.

Diaz wouldnt get a start in our Leeds side, unless we sold one of our current front four that is.

Financially wise the only one which would make sense would be Jimmy, and that would be tough to take. Then Diaz might get a game. Though Id rather we used Joffy..

As for Wee Willy, before anyone counts up the profits from any supposed sale ( and how much does a player who cant get a start in the Championship fetch? ) Lets NOT forget the 20% minimum of the profits sell on clause agreed with FC Zurich.
Diaz on the bench fighting for a start should any injuries come our way seems reet enough forward planning to me Ian.

Having seen bits and bats of our yoof system and reading current and ex managers minds, they ALL seem to have their level.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
I mentioned before about Diaz, he's proven in this league which won't have gone un-noticed to the gaffer, whether he comes or not we don't know, what we do know, he has quality at this level, imho, we missed the boat on Gyorkes and possibly Hamer too, lets see what happens in January.

Greenwood won't be coming back here, and his £1.5M fee seems ridiculously low when you see what other players go for , thats us I suppose.

I'll leave Jesse to the haters, we've had 3 managers since, I wish him no harm.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

"Marsch - I'm a TV personality now"
I almost spat my brew on the keyboard!!! Seriously though, I hope does well wherever he ends up.

Diaz - looked decent at Blackburn, does he add to what we already have? Not sure...He's a different player to Gnonto, Cry and James.
Not the same as Rutter who is more of an attacking disruptor force.
Piroe - could be good cover.
Bamford - let's see what happens but I'm not optimistic. His new haircut maybe a sign he's up for a fight!
Joffy - heart would like to see him come good, head says not.
Joseph...let's see what he's made of. He needs to be given a chance (FA Cup anyone?)
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mentalcase wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 am Morning all.
I mentioned before about Diaz, he's proven in this league which won't have gone un-noticed to the gaffer, whether he comes or not we don't know, what we do know, he has quality at this level, imho, we missed the boat on Gyorkes and possibly Hamer too, lets see what happens in January.

Greenwood won't be coming back here, and his £1.5M fee seems ridiculously low when you see what other players go for , thats us I suppose.

I'll leave Jesse to the haters, we've had 3 managers since, I wish him no harm.
So we would expect him to swap one bench in La Liga and games in Europa League for a bench in the Championship?
Not a very exciting prospect for him. Then there is the financials.

Im not saying he isnt a decent player, but is he the right fit at this point.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 6th December) - Leeds to rescue Brereton Diaz from La Liga nightmare?

Post by billysboots »

If another striker comes in that would push Bamford down the pecking order, maybe persuade him to move on.
There Is Only One United.
PhoenixUnited
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 6th December) - Leeds to rescue Brereton Diaz from La Liga nightmare?

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Going after Diaz seems like a good move but to balance that either Bamford or Gelhardt would been to be heading for the exit. Both perhaps if we want to blood Matteo Joseph.

Sam Greenwood has had an excellent start to his loan but actually it's not even half a season yet. If he keeps going as he his then its no wonder other clubs are sniffing around but it would still be a bit of a punt. There is nowhere for him at Leeds United as things stand.

Jesse Marsch? Water under the bridge. Probably OK at some lower level European outfit but Champions League? Someone's having a laugh :)
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

If I’m DoF at Boro, my January is spent buying Sam for £1.5m then selling him for 10 times that in summer. I’d even tempt Leeds to part with him with an extra £1.5m sell on clause. Easy money.

Or click bait.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:58 am Diaz seems a no brainer, how much did they pay Rovers for him ?

Good on Sam, his brief stop and starts for leeds never did him any favours, when starting nervous energy would've got the better of him i feel and played a part in his displays, i hope this turns out to be another tick in the DF book if he thought "H'mmm this kids alright, but somethings just not quite right, i've enough players up front, i don't particularly want to get rid of him permanently coz he might come good finding his feet elsewhere - I know, i'll send him somewhere decentish on loan see what happens "

Ohhh Jesse, It brings back all those players to mind and our 'chicken bart thed games', Sara did warn us, not your fault though son, that Grade A Class 1 Clown has some spiel on him, and the money was good for you innit - I see Rasmus scored recently though :tup:
Diaz was a freebee, his contract ran out.

I think Gnonto will go in January. If we can get £15m and Rodon, that's good business, though we'll have to pay Zurich at least £5m.

If we can pick up Diaz for between 10 -15m, its a no brainer, and Farke being Farke could probably get the best out of him.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

billysboots wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:15 am If another striker comes in that would push Bamford down the pecking order, maybe persuade him to move on.
Not wit the wages he's on...
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:13 am So we would expect him to swap one bench in La Liga and games in Europa League for a bench in the Championship?

IF we could get him, he's the kind of player that Farke could get the best out of perhaps.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

The cuts from the Jesse March speech that never made it.

When I was at Leeds I told the players "Be the change you want to see in the premiership"
So they all decided that they wanted to be like Kalvin Philliphs and sit on their arse on the bench and get paid loads of money.

I have always said "A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes.” I thought alot about penis ball and how I could implement it... well that led to a sex rehab and I am doing much better since I have moved into punditry and away from managing.

It was there that I learnt that "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” That was the trouble with management I would think one thing, say the complete opposite, and never be able to get anything done. Even doing Feng shui to the pitch didn't help.

" The primership is like an ocean; if a few drops in the ocean are dirty, but the ocean does not become dirty.” Now don't get me started on the finances of Manchester City and Newcastle but they have caused a huge toxic algae bloom and as a manager I don't want to swim in that ocean... and besides Radz didn't have the dosh.

When it comes to training I have always said "A tonne of talking can easily compensate for an ounce of training" I have full confidence if we had talked more and trained less we would have had more success.

It is my firm belief that "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its football managers are treated.” Now I'm not saying I was unfairly treated, but it is my considered opinion that I was not given a fair crack of the whip... indeed I didn't believe in cracking the whip and that might have been my downfall.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm Diaz was a freebee, his contract ran out.

I think Gnonto will go in January. If we can get £15m and Rodon, that's good business, though we'll have to pay Zurich at least £5m.

If we can pick up Diaz for between 10 -15m, its a no brainer, and Farke being Farke could probably get the best out of him.
They got him for free, he's not doing well there...

10-15m ? Is that coz they've got him on a contract now ?

Take him off their hands for free, and pay his wages.

;@)
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:13 am So we would expect him to swap one bench in La Liga and games in Europa League for a bench in the Championship?

He's struggling out there for whatever reason Ian, plus this is a long hard season, he will get chances if he comes, we don't know whats going to happen in January yet, as I've stated numerous times, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gnonto go, Diaz is proven at this level, Farke could certainly get the best out of him again, it's all about this season at this stage, it's probably our best chance of promotion, not the end of the world we know, but the longer we are in the championship, well, we know the rest don't we, and it's bloody frightening.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:00 pm Diaz was a freebee, his contract ran out.

Why do you think Gnonto will go in January. It makes absolutely no financial or strategic sense to cash in on 19 yr old full Italian international in a winter window, unless a club was offering over 30 million, and even then it would not be a given.

Personally, the only circumstances in which I see him leaving is if we do not get promoted.

Reports circulated around the time we signed Gnonto suggest the sell on fee is around 40%.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Where does Diaz play, I've never watched him
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Diaz might be an option, but I would not suggest it is a no brainer. If he has hardly played he isn’t match sharp, also probably lacking in confidence. He would not be much of a different option to clubs looking to improve their forward options if Bamford was made available to loan.

I haven’t seen Diaz play in truth so I have no idea if he has pace, athletic, good in the air etc.