The Winter of 63

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

The Winter of 63

Post by Chilli D »

Did anyone else see the documentary on Channel 5 about the winter of 1963 a few days ago.
The amount of snow that fell on the whole of the UK over a 10 week period was phenomenal. Some places saw snow drifts of 20 feet!
Apparently it was due to a cold front from Russia colliding with one from Greenland and as a result it didn't budge for over two months. In weather terms it created the 'Perfect Storm'.
It made the Beast from the East seem like a light dusting.
This was two years before I was born but some of the older members on here must have memories of it? Anyone care to share any?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
hector

Re: The Winter of 63

Post by hector »

'64 was operating the horse that pulled the gritters
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

I remember it as a kid chilli, we lost all our rabbits and much of our livestock to it, still uncovering animal corpse' months after, we were spared the floods however as we lived high on t' moors, but down in t' valley folk weren't so lucky.
When you say 20ft drifts, it wasn't uncommon, we literally had to dig ourselves out the door in a morning just to get to the barn, it was solid snow, it served as a kind of outdoor porch, when there were incidents/ accidents there was only one way to get folk to hospital, air-lifted.
Always makes me cringe when we get snow now, like a couple of weeks ago for instance, it was a flaming smattering, 4 inch at most on high ground yet the frigging roads were chocka-block, a bit of sleet now and the whole of England shudders to a halt.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

I was 9 so I remember it mainly as being perfect ice slide weather. We would tread down the snow and pour water to make the slides on the pavement! The grownups must have been fuming but we didn’t care.

I’m a lifelong Castleford rugby supporter, and that year we got drawn at home in the cup for the first time in ages, against Hull KR if I’m not mistaken. The game was constantly called off, so the club decided to take action, they scheduled it for a Wednesday afternoon kick off and placed dozens of coal burning braziers on the pitch for days to thaw it out. It worked, and because the schools were closed it meant loads of kids could attend. I believe it was a club record attendance, but nobody knew because the gates were broken down by the sheer number of supporters. And we won 13-12.

I recall scraping ice off the inside of the bedroom windows, and going to bed fully clothed and gradually taking outer clothes off as I got a tad warmer.

As a 9yo it was perfect. No school, snow ball fights and ice slides on the street.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Has anyone else watched the " War in Ukraine, from the other side " excellent viewing.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I still love ice slides.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Orange Box wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:40 pm I was 9 so I remember it mainly as being perfect ice slide weather. We would tread down the snow and pour water to make the slides on the pavement! The grownups must have been fuming but we didn’t care.

I’m a lifelong Castleford rugby supporter, and that year we got drawn at home in the cup for the first time in ages, against Hull KR if I’m not mistaken. The game was constantly called off, so the club decided to take action, they scheduled it for a Wednesday afternoon kick off and placed dozens of coal burning braziers on the pitch for days to thaw it out. It worked, and because the schools were closed it meant loads of kids could attend. I believe it was a club record attendance, but nobody knew because the gates were broken down by the sheer number of supporters. And we won 13-12.

I recall scraping ice off the inside of the bedroom windows, and going to bed fully clothed and gradually taking outer clothes off as I got a tad warmer.

As a 9yo it was perfect. No school, snow ball fights and ice slides on the street.
Stored in my memory bank for a future trivia quiz that one 👍
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Climate change my arse. Pollution Yes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:41 pm I still love ice slides.
The Cresda Run
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:21 pm The Cresda Run
IMG_3872.jpeg
IMG_3872.jpeg (23.75 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Sara wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:17 pmIMG_3872.jpeg
lol....well found
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:17 pm lol....well found
Love a bit of CB.
Lufcheidi
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
Twitter: @FollowMeAndLUFC

Post by Lufcheidi »

Chilli D wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:23 pm Did anyone else see the documentary on Channel 5 about the winter of 1963 a few days ago.
The amount of snow that fell on the whole of the UK over a 10 week period was phenomenal. Some places saw snow drifts of 20 feet!
Apparently it was due to a cold front from Russia colliding with one from Greenland and as a result it didn't budge for over two months. In weather terms it created the 'Perfect Storm'.
It made the Beast from the East seem like a light dusting.
This was two years before I was born but some of the older members on here must have memories of it? Anyone care to share any?
These photos was taken in 1967 when Drax Power Station had just started being built in the background. I can remember taking my dog for a walk with my dad, brother and sister. When we got to the High Street, they had cleared the roads but there were large drifts at the side of it that we tried to walk on but they were too deep.
These were nothing compared to 1963 though and those up on the hills were snowed in for ages. Saw on TV when they managed to clear the roads and the drifts were enormous.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

hector wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:34 pm '64 was operating the horse that pulled the gritters
:rol: :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol: :rol:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Lufcheidi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:35 pm These photos was taken in 1967 when Drax Power Station had just started being built in the background. I can remember taking my dog for a walk with my dad, brother and sister. When we got to the High Street, they had cleared the roads but there were large drifts at the side of it that we tried to walk on but they were too deep.
These were nothing compared to 1963 though and those up on the hills were snowed in for ages. Saw on TV when they managed to clear the roads and the drifts were enormous.
What a lovely photo of you, family & your adorable dog, Heidi.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

As a 9yo, I remember sledging down the hills in Armley Park, Leeds.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Nostalgia isn’t what it used to
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Lufcheidi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:35 pm These photos was taken in 1967 when Drax Power Station had just started being built in the background. I can remember taking my dog for a walk with my dad, brother and sister. When we got to the High Street, they had cleared the roads but there were large drifts at the side of it that we tried to walk on but they were too deep.
I know I’m biased, but isn’t the Leeds scarf the best design of all, it’s so identifiable.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Nice photos Heidi
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Can't have been as bad as the Summer of 69 ....