Leeds Utd set pieces

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
mentalcase

Leeds Utd set pieces

Post by mentalcase »

How poor are we at both ends from set pieces !!
Once again yesterday was the unravelling of us from a set piece, same as game before.
Also at t'other end, we are piss poor.
Do we have a set piece coach, and if so, what's the point !!
We desperately need to be much better at both ends, the run in is on and we don't want to be bombared and buckling under pressure, also we could do with taking that pressure off by scoring from our own set pieces.
The PL will slaughter us in those game plays.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Leeds Utd set pieces

Post by Jaydog »

That ball in from Thomas was right on the money though. It was the silly “foul” that caused it. You might ask when a team has a particularly good set piece taker why do we always give them free kicks near the 18 yard box. Like moths to a flame.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:54 am That ball in from Thomas was right on the money though. It was the silly “foul” that caused it. You might ask when a team has a particularly good set piece taker why do we always give them free kicks near the 18 yard box. Like moths to a flame.
Sorba Thomas showed us how to take a set-piece, not just the goal, every set-piece was in the right area.

The problem we have no one upfront who is a good header of the ball, Bamford is the nearest, maybe Joseph in the future.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:28 am Sorba Thomas showed us how to take a set-piece, not just the goal, every set-piece was in the right area.

The problem we have no one upfront who is a good header of the ball, Bamford is the nearest, maybe Joseph in the future.
Thats us knackered then, how many goals has he scored with his swede !!
We simply have to walk the ball into the net, or have summerville beat 2 defenders then cut inside, we struggle to shoot from range and any crosses from wide are almost never met by our player.
The set piece fiasco is just that.
After we got rid of the "whispering w**kers" Harrison & Aaronson, I thought things may look up, but they have'nt.
Roberts, Ampadu , Summerville, Gnonto, Firpo, James & Anthony are all capable of putting decent balls in, problem is, theres never men to take advantage.
You often hear the words "straight from the training ground" at other games, never at Leeds though.
So I ask, what is our set piece strategy, hit and hope !!
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:19 pm Thats us knackered then, how many goals has he scored with his swede !!
We simply have to walk the ball into the net, or have summerville beat 2 defenders then cut inside, we struggle to shoot from range and any crosses from wide are almost never met by our player.
After we got rid of the "whispering w**kers" Harrison & Aaronson, I thought things may look up, but they have'nt.
Roberts, Ampadu , Summerville, Gnonto, Firpo, James & Anthony are all capable of putting decent balls in, problem is, theres never men to take advantage.
You often hear the words "straight from the training ground" at other games, never at Leeds though.
Missing Struijk.

Ampadu may be better on the ball but Struijk is a much more physical presence in both boxes.

Don't like zonal marking though which apparently is something DF used before with poor results.

Prefer a mixture of man and zonal.

But definitely missing Struijk in this situation imo.

He has 4 goals, the rest of our cbs have I think 1 between them.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Personally, I don’t like zonal marking.

I’m only 5ft 7in, but even I would fancy my chances with a running jump against a six footer who is trying to jump from the floor from a static start.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
1964white

Post by 1964white »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:19 pm Thats us knackered then, how many goals has he scored with his swede !!
James is two out of two with his free-kicks, hit the bar & his shot deflected off Bamford for a goal.

At least Dan beat the wall both times!
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

We are shite at everything and quite a big problem ongoing.

Every other team in the Championship seems able enough to find 1 player out of 10 that can ping a ball on our near post and wreak havoc, it wouldn't surprise me if most of our goals are let in from a set piece or resulting from a corner.

And we're feckin hopeless, i worry when an opponent gets a corner, but i don't feel we'll do owt from our corners.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

In fact that's another reason to stick Cooper back in for the upcoming.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

We have two problems first one is that we don't have any recognized player who can put in a good free kick.

James on Summerville have tried but neither of them are deadly.

Secondly asking Gnonto to do defensive work in the six yard box is just stupid. He is just too short. Just recently he lost his man and let a goal in at the far post.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Kennyb41 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:57 pm In fact that's another reason to stick Cooper back in for the upcoming.
I think you are panicking now, Kenny boy.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Struijk is the key for me in these situations as well, as said, Ampadu can ping a better ball and is better at bringing the ball out, Pascal can be colossul in the air, even Joe hasn't scored yet, surely we must be getting better from set pieces.
The return is negligible.
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

It was quoted on MOTD the other week that Aresnal have scored 43% of their goals from dead ball situations.

We must have less than a tenth of that number.

A priority for the summer to get someone in who can ping one in.
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

This is not just a problem under DF, it was the same with Bielsa’s team.
Every time the opposition gets a corner we are expecting it to go in.
There Is Only One United.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Attacking corners hasn't been terrible this season. Thinking of Strujik, Ampadu, Byram (v Leicester, Rutter tap in). But we don't have a decent long shooter. Bamford is the only one that's really shown any flair outside the box. Maybe he should take an occasional free kick.

But our constant inability to defend corners is baffling. Someone mentioned Gnonto. Not sure why he's not the attacking break player.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:13 pm Attacking corners hasn't been terrible this season. Thinking of Strujik, Ampadu, Byram (v Leicester, Rutter tap in). But we don't have a decent long shooter. Bamford is the only one that's really shown any flair outside the box. Maybe he should take an occasional free kick.

But our constant inability to defend corners is baffling. Someone mentioned Gnonto. Not sure why he's not the attacking break player.
Maybe if we left Gnonto & Summerville upfront at corners, our box wouldn't be so conjested, as the opposition would have to leave at least two defenders back to cover them.

Gnonto just gets in the way when we are defending, so leave him up top.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:13 pm Attacking corners hasn't been terrible this season. Thinking of Strujik, Ampadu, Byram (v Leicester, Rutter tap in). But we don't have a decent long shooter. Bamford is the only one that's really shown any flair outside the box. Maybe he should take an occasional free kick.

Thats what I think, could also leave 2 up top, either of these 3, Summerville/ Gnonto/ James, their pace would mean 3 defenders to cover.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

1964white wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:06 pm I think you are panicking now, Kenny boy.
No panic here Sid, just common sense chap.

;@)
Overman
Manager
Manager

Post by Overman »

mentalcase wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:26 pm Struijk is the key for me in these situations as well, as said, Ampadu can ping a better ball and is better at bringing the ball out, Pascal can be colossul in the air, even Joe hasn't scored yet, surely we must be getting better from set pieces.
The return is negligible.
We miss a Pontus type player at the back. No f**king about, commanding presence and will nick the odd goal or two.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Overman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:39 pm We miss a Pontus type player at the back. No f**king about, commanding presence and will nick the odd goal or two.
Yea, if we can't put a pinpoint cross in (f**k knows why like, not at all difficult) then we deffo need a no nonsense type to smash their way through, all other teams seem to bully us, we and the officials let it happen, s**t tactic imho.