Not Convinced

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Morpheus
Youth Team
Youth Team

Not Convinced

Post by Morpheus »

Is anyone else feeling unconvinced after last night's performance?

I've had my doubts for a while now, choosing to wait for the right moment to express them. Yet, last night, for at least 80 minutes of the game, we seemed utterly exhausted and devoid of ideas. Unfortunately, this isn't a new occurrence.

I remember feeling this during the game against Leicester. The excitement of the high stakes and our victory overshadowed the issues, particularly how their nimble winger on the left tore through our defense relentlessly.

Reflecting on past games against Millwall, Wendies, Stoke, and Huddersfield, it's clear that for substantial portions of these matches, we were bereft of strategies and seemed to run on fumes, only to scrape through on sheer luck and persistence.

Don't misunderstand me; having the luxury to critique our team and management instead of resorting to outright complaints, as was common during the unremarkable championship days under Warnock, Grayson, and others, is a positive sign.

Am I alone in feeling this way, or do others share these concerns?
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Not Convinced

Post by weasel »

If anything last night's performance gave me even more confidence. We were below our best, in possession, but we defended well. Hull had 2 chances of note, and one of them was the goal. Their second chance was a curler from the edge of the box but we had the opportunity to do that when the ball fell to Rutter, from a similar distance, and he chose not to shoot so that wasn't even one of the many chances we missed.

We aren't going to simply roll teams over 4-0 every match. Chances are every team will be fighting for something when they play us and there will be moments when we have to dig in. As it was Hull huffed and puffed, played where we let them but hardly laid a glove on us. They were the ones trying to hang on for a point despite supposedly being brilliant. We, despite the physically draining last few weeks were going strong.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

It's only natural for fans to get anxious when their team doesn't dominate a game but right now we're showing incredible strength and determination to get results and that's all that matters.
I watched both Ipswich games over Easter and they were awful against Blackburn and outplayed for a hour by Southampton but they still won both games.
Most if not all the teams we have left to play still have something to play for so they will all be tough but it's the same for Ipswich and Leicester. Hopefully Guev will be back on Saturday and maybe Gnonto and Roberts the week after. All we can do is concentrate on our games and see if our final points total is enough.
Keep the faith Morpheus.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Convinced.
Winning or at least never losing when not at your best is the holy grail of all sport and we seem to be good at it.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Personally I’m quietly confident, but we are relying on other teams losing.

If all the teams in the top 3 win their remaining games (unlikely as that is) then it’s play offs for us and we won’t go up that way.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We have the best team in the division, and would be cruising to the prem now if it wasn’t for the bad start
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Not losing this year.... we are hard taskmasters.

We just need that complete performance again to convince us all we are back in the groove.

Coventry is the place to do it.
danhirons
Manager
Manager

Post by danhirons »

13 wins and 2 draws in the league this year?! what more do you want?! no team is going to steamroller opposition every single week
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

I totally understand how you feel, but the reasons are pretty clear why Leeds are playing under par at present. The loss of Gnonto and Roberts was a blow and the midfield has struggled without Gruev. Like the rest of the forum comments we have come through a difficult game against Hull and imo we were well below our high standards. It's key games like this that really define Leeds as Championship contenders. Next game is away at Coventry........ Relax.....in Farke we Trust...
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Morpheus wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:22 am Is anyone else feeling unconvinced after last night's performance?

I've had my doubts for a while now, choosing to wait for the right moment to express them. Yet, last night, for at least 80 minutes of the game, we seemed utterly exhausted and devoid of ideas. Unfortunately, this isn't a new occurrence.

I remember feeling this during the game against Leicester. The excitement of the high stakes and our victory overshadowed the issues, particularly how their nimble winger on the left tore through our defense relentlessly.

Reflecting on past games against Millwall, Wendies, Stoke, and Huddersfield, it's clear that for substantial portions of these matches, we were bereft of strategies and seemed to run on fumes, only to scrape through on sheer luck and persistence.

Don't misunderstand me; having the luxury to critique our team and management instead of resorting to outright complaints, as was common during the unremarkable championship days under Warnock, Grayson, and others, is a positive sign.

Can you remember how we were four years ago?

Awful against Cardiff, Swansea and Barnsley but came away with six points thanks to a last minute winner and an og. That was enough to break the spirit of the chasing pack and we romped it once the pressure was off

We have have been poor for over a month now, but it is about can we do enough to take a point more from our last six games than Ipswich or Leicester.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Morpheus wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:22 am Is anyone else feeling unconvinced after last night's performance?

We've had plenty of unconvincing moments but won, it just doesn't feel as nerve-wracking in December or November as it does in April.

At this stage though it's wins that matter now so if we have to scrape by with poor performances and wins then so be it.

If we play poorly and don't go up thats a different matter.

It would be nice to be playing well and winning at this stage for the nerves, but 3 points is what counts.

Just hope the Watford no show isn't our Wigan moment.

Hopefully with a few days recovery we can rediscover our mojo for Coventry on Saturday
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:28 pm We've had plenty of unconvincing moments but won, it just doesn't feel as nerve-wracking in December or November as it does in April.

At this stage though it's wins that matter now so if we have to scrape by with poor performances and wins then so be it.

If we play poorly and don't go up thats a different matter.

It would be nice to be playing well and winning at this stage for the nerves, but 3 points is what counts.

Just hope the Watford no show isn't our Wigan moment.

Hopefully with a few days recovery we can rediscover our mojo for Coventry on Saturday
Watford and Wigan performances are miles apart. Wigan summed up the problem we always had under Bielsa and that was that we were woeful in front of goal. Many games where we'd create 20 chances and score 1 whilst the opposition scored from their 1 chance.
I would say a big factor was that we lost our bottle and lost our minds. 1-0 up v 10 men we should have controlled the match.

The Watford game, by contrast, we showed we had the bottle. We weren't great but we fought for the point and could have won it. Twice behind but earned a point as opposed to being in front, v Wigan, and dropping 3.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

No you're not alone, i've been concerned about away games all season, but after Hull at home, i'm hoping it's been his plan all along.

It's a feckin dangerous one if so, but it's working (just) up to now.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

In recent weeks we have had the terrible timings of the Sky Sports dictate and a really difficult international break.

Yet we have the best last five game form of the league, only dropping 2 points.

Our season long unbeaten home form and our 2024 run thus far is just remarkable.

What do people want?
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

Worst case scenario is we don't go up automatically but will still have acrrued over 90 points in an amazing season.

If that does happen we'll have all the excitement of the play offs to look forward to, which could turn out to be absolutely thrilling or alternatively end in abject disappointment but would definitely be another couple of loops on the rollercoaster.

Whatever happens and come what may it will have been a brilliant effort from Frake and the players.
Jammy 07
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Jammy 07 »

The safety net of the play offs should not be dismissed as it's a very viable way of achieving promotion.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jammy 07 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:14 pm The safety net of the play offs should not be dismissed as it's a very viable way of achieving promotion.
And a trophy
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"