Don Revie - The Drama of the Early Years

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
kushiro
Ballboy
Ballboy

Don Revie - The Drama of the Early Years

Post by kushiro »

This is my first post here. I write historical pieces about Leicester City, and I come in peace.

I've just finished an article about Don Revie, who started his career at Filbert Street. In 1949 he came to national prominenece for the first time as a member of the Leicester team that made it all the way to the FA Cup Final despite being at the wrong end of Division Two. As the club prepared for Wembley, Revie suffered a delayed reaction to a head injury that led to him losing so much blood that his life was in danger.

I'd really like to share the article with Leeds fans and would love to hear your comments. It's a fairly long piece, but I hope it's worth ten minutes of your time.

https://www.thefosseway.net/viewpoint/l ... in-kushiro
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Don Revie - The Drama of the Early Years

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Excellent read Kushiro, lots of information in there about Don & Leicester that I would never have known. Thank you for sharing.
Keeping The Faith
Prisoner37
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Prisoner37 »

A very informative read, thank you for sharing.

Very different days for the players and it does make you wonder if that clash of heads contributed to Don's subsequent MND?

Got to say though that our last Yorkist King's remains really should be moved to York Minster but thank you Leicester for looking after him and not claiming his overdue car park fees.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Blasphemy! Everybody knows the Don was born in Holbeck, and never once set foot out of Leeds in his entire life. Playing for Leicester, indeed. Poppycock.

Seriously, a lovely story, thank you Kushiro, it filled a gap in my knowledge, and no doubt many others who ought to take the time to read it. I shudder to think what might have happened to Leeds if he hadn’t survived the scare. Cheers.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
kushiro
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by kushiro »

Thanks for the comments.

Don Revie's first trip to Elland Road, as far as I know, was on August 23rd 1947 when Leicester City opened ther season with a trip to Leeds. Leicester wore red shirts and white shorts to avoid a clash with Leeds' blue and gold. Revie was playing inside right.

Leicester's coach had broken down at Blyth, 15 miles south of Doncaster on the way to the game and they had to hitch-hike the last stage of the trip.

Leeds won 3-1.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Great read that, I know most things about the Don, but there were bits in that read that enlightened me further.
I've also had the great plaesure in meeting and talking to the man.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

kushiro wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:47 pm Thanks for the comments.

Leicester's coach had broken down at Blyth, 15 miles south of Doncaster on the way to the game and they had to hitch-hike the last stage of the trip.

Leeds won 3-1.
The lengths you have to go to to win a game!

Thankfully to win 3-1 v Leicester all we need to nobble to linesman :P

Seriously kushiro thank for writing that interesting article and taking the time to post it on here.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
kushiro
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by kushiro »

Here's the detail of Revie's first ever moments as a player at Elland Road in that game mentioned above, as described in the Leicester Evening Mail, August 23rd 1947.

1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Don will forever be our greatest manager of all-time.
kushiro
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by kushiro »

None of us actually want to be promoted, do we?

Just bumping this for anyone who didn't see it last week.