Phil Hay

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Phil Hay

Post by 1964white »

Screenshot 2024-06-12 10.57.34.png
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Phil Hay

Post by 1964white »

Back to supporting Hearts.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Traitor
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Seriously, an excellent non knee jerk unbiased reporter on all things Leeds United, will be missed
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Apparently Cjay is now in mourning :verysad: :verysad:
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Sad to see him go, have always enjoyed his coverage of all things Leeds Utd. But there's a ready made replacement in my fellow countryman Graham Smyth
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Was good when he stepped away from the YEP as the void was filled there but we also got lots of great insight and long reads on The Athletic. Be interesting to see if he is replaced there or if we are covered to a lesser extent by a generic Championship/EFL journalist.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

I have a lot of sympathy for Phil with all the wilderness years we have had with some crap teams to cover. Thankfully Mr Bielsa came along to revive us and i guess him. I think he realizes it will be along time before we see anything as exciting again at Elland Road. Always worth listening to on TSB
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:15 pm Was good when he stepped away from the YEP as the void was filled there but we also got lots of great insight and long reads on The Athletic. Be interesting to see if he is replaced there or if we are covered to a lesser extent by a generic Championship/EFL journalist.
The void at the YEP was filled by a waste of space. Smyth writes like he knows absolutely nothing about football.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

weasel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:33 pm The void at the YEP was filled by a waste of space. Smyth writes like he knows absolutely nothing about football.
I listen to Graham Smyth on the weekly podcast. He has plenty of inside knowledge - as would anyone with such close access to the club. But he's nowhere near as interesting to listen to as Phil Hay.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Really sad about this. Phil Hay has been a great journalist for us. Always the most reliable source of information. Especially going to miss his weekly appearance on The Square Ball.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Love Phil.

Been a great source for us for years and has been part of this journey with us for 18.

He did that by choice

Must be something wrong with him.

Wish him well.

Full article here

Any news Phil? :(

https://archive.ph/Hb3Tt
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:58 pm Love Phil.

Been a great source for us for years and has been part of this journey with us for 18.

He did that by choice

Wish him well.

Full article here

There was some talk on MOT about him getting a checkup. How long has it been since his op? Two years?

Lets hope for his sake that this is more driven by his career than his health.

I always liked listening to him and reading his pieces on the Athletic
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

He did that by choice

Wish him well.

Full article here

Good read. He did say Leeds will still continue to get the same coverage, so obviously a replacement coming in for him. But he'll be hard to replace. He's the best journo we've had covering the club and always willing to talk and share information. I bet Dan on the square ball is upset. He regularly texted him for info and updates.
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

Gotta ton of respect for Phil. Hard working old school reporter with a good head on his shoulders (even if it did require brain surgery).

Will be missed. Hope this is more of a sabbatical than farewell. But if it isn't, best of wishes and sincere thanks to him
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by JoeDenver »

Agree with the sentiments here. Such an incredibly insightful voice into all things Leeds. Almost feels like losing an institution. His book on Bielsa was incredible. I wish him well and I hope it’s more of a see you later for Leeds fans as opposed to a goodbye.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

weasel wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 5:33 pm The void at the YEP was filled by a waste of space. Smyth writes like he knows absolutely nothing about football.
All about opinions, weasel, but I think that's a bit harsh. He's not Phil, but he's a decent football reporter, imo
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar

Post by lufc1304 »

He did that by choice

Wish him well.

Full article here

Thanks for the link, Cjay, good read
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Lovely article. Great toilet reading, now I’m a twice happy boy and can get on with my day.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

lufc1304 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:20 am All about opinions, weasel, but I think that's a bit harsh. He's not Phil, but he's a decent football reporter, imo
Just the way he comes accross in his writing. He comes accross as someone who hasn't played the game at any basic level (e.g. even five a side) and doesn't really understand football or the passion of the fans. Sort of like a girl who pretends she likes football to impress a new date but only watches the world cup finals rather than supporting a team through thick and thin and going through the emotions every few days.

Phil Hay was a million times better. Had a decent understanding of the game and knew what is was like to be a proper supporter even though he didn't start out as a Leeds fan.