The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 13th July) Tractor boys set for Rodon swoop

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 13th July) Tractor boys set for Rodon swoop

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 13th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Tractor boys set for Rodon swoop

Ipswich Town look set to steal Joel Rodon away from Spurs, and break the hearts of the Leeds faithful. The 26 year old Welsh International was one of the stand out stars for Leeds last season, and frequently put his body on the line, making him a favourite, both on and off the terraces. The Whites have been negotiating with Tottenham supremo Daniel Levy, desperate to keep Rodon at Elland Road for at-least another season, or preferably a permanent deal.

His glittering performances did not go unnoticed from his parent club, who exorcised a clause in the centre-back's contract, extending the length of his remaining terms by another twelve months, until the Summer of 2026, and therefor increasing his valuation. Whilst £12m-£15m doesn't sound like much for a play of his qualities, it's money that Leeds can ill afford to splash out, unless they want to risk the wrath of falling foul of financial fair play rules. Various Leeds bloggers have commented that it's just a bridge too far, especially for a defender, unless the club were to sacrifice one of their mainstay players.

Could Leeds bring Roberts back next season

According to The Athletic, Leeds are exploring the possibility of bringing Conor Roberts back to Elland Road! The 28 yeaer old right-back joined the Whites in January on loan from Burnley, but only played a bit part (343 minutes of game time), partly because of picking up an injury whilst on International Duty with Wales).

It would make no sense for Burnley (following their relegation to the Championship) to loan him to a competitor, vying for the Championship title. The Clarets value him at £7m - £10m, which seems extortionate for a player of his limitations, and thats before considering his £30,000 a week wage packet.

Where does this leave the Alfie Gilchrist deal. There is wide speculation that the 20yo right back is open to joining the Whites this Summer, and who knows - Leeds may be able to negotiate a permanent deal, with Summerville joining the Blues as part of the deal!

Farke considers Skipp if Gray leaves

Leeds could be lining up a deal to bring Spurs midfielder Oliver Skipp to Elland Road if they lose Archie Gray this Summer! According to 'The Express', Daniel Farke is exploring the possibility of reuniting with the former England U21 midfielder, who helped his former Norwich side win the Championship back in 20/21 whilst on loan. The 23 year old only made five starts last season for the North London outfit, so could be surplus to requirements, but with three years left on his contract, let alone his £40,000 per week wages, do Leeds have the resources to make a deal? Various media outlets value Skipp around the £15m, which would be a marquee signing for any Championship outfit.

mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 13th July) Tractor boys set for Rodon swoop

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Everyone sees us as the soft touch when it comes to tranfer deals, been like that for far too long, we really need to play hard ball like levy always does.

If rodon dosent want to come back here bollocks to him, we'll be going up next season whilst he will be coming back down if he goes to ipswich, or rotting on the bench at spurs, wither one won't appeal to him.

We can do better than roberts for that amount of dosh.

Archie is going nowhere.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 13th July) Tractor boys set for Rodon swoop

Post by The Subhuman »

Way too much for Roberts ... 5M max. Would he even be a starter or just Byram's back up?

Rodon to Ipswich makes a lot of sense for them, not just the money the issue for us there but Ipswich playing in the prem. He's a lot better than anything they had last season and they just need better or they'll be ripped apart in every game
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all,,

If Rodon would prefer to spend a season at the Tractor Boys getting whipped every week, then I say good bye and good luck, thanks for last season, see you next summer as we pass by you as you head to the Championship again!

Far too much for Roberts, IMO he could be a good player for us, he definitely gets what it means to be Leeds but not for that sort of money, take the kid from Chelski.

Archie ain't leaving this season, its all just rumours :whisp:
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

On the one hand, it's a no-brainer for Joe, playing week in, week out in the Prem, higher wages etc. But, as others have said, they are very likely to be whipping boys most weeks, which can't be much fun for a player. Follow your heart, Joe, and come back home! Agree with MC, we need to start playing hardball when it comes to transfers. My hope is that the 49-ers will be savvy enough to get top dollar for any players we sell. And not get out pants pulled down on incomings.

Wouldn't mind Roberts back, but £5M would be my limit too.

As for Archie, feels like it's way too soon to be making a jump. Had a breakout season, but he wasn't outstanding, we get carried away with his age and heritage. He should continue his development with us, has time on his side.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:41 am
Someone can't do math ....
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Did they get a priest in to exorcise the clause?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Rumours for weeks re Rodon off to Ipswich or Saints. Either would be idiots not to sign him.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:29 am Did they get a priest in to exorcise the clause?
:lol:
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

if Joe Rodon were to come back, he would have to have a better hairstyle. I don't like the Wolverine X-men look that he has got going on.
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager

Post by WhiteRose »

I think Ipswich might do alright next season and if Rodon chooses to go there then fair play to him I’d prefer he came back to us but we all know you can’t compete with premier league wages - we can find another CB who can do a similar job.

Archie id sell if the right money comes in and he wants to leave he’s got great potential but I think we could bring in better at this moment in time. Doubt we would sign skipp more likely a loan with a buy clause on promotion
Lufc76Cor
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Lufc76Cor »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:57 am Someone can't do math ....
Looks spot on to me, then again I know all about gambling and accumulations sadly.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Lufc76Cor wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:18 am Looks spot on to me, then again I know all about gambling and accumulations sadly.
Any tips? :shock:
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Ellandback1 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:41 am
If you add up all those probabilities, there's a 200% chance he's leaving
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lufc76Cor wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:18 am Looks spot on to me, then again I know all about gambling and accumulations sadly.
There can’t be more than 100 percent probability.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I hope Joe enjoys his 1 season in the PL.

What are the odds to stay at Leeds?
Mugs market.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:57 am Someone can't do math ....
These % are correct tbh.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:46 am If you add up all those probabilities, there's a 200% chance he's leaving
Errr no.
He can only go to one club if he does go.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Rodon links to other clubs, particularly the likes of Ipswich and Southampton is to be expected. It does not mean it is happening - just speculation I would surmise. Spurs will want to cash in on him without a doubt, which on paper means the above clubs and others in the prem have the finances to do a deal, but whether it happens is anyone’s guess.

The Archie % table is again just speculation.
The first and most important probability statistic should be the likelihood of him wanting to leave followed by the Clubs likelihood to sell. In the absence of any information concerning his suggested departure- The potential destinations mean very little at this juncture.

I would be surprised if Robert’s is at the top of the list for potential RB’s. He wasn’t even first choice when we had him on loan.