The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th June) Brighton open talks over Summerville move

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th June) Brighton open talks over Summerville move

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 18th June, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Brighton open talks over Summerville move

Brighton are now hot favourites to sign Leeds ace Crysencio Summerville, after talkSPORT revealed they are in talks over a permanent Summer deal. The Seagulls are the first club to put their cards on the table regarding a proposed £30m. The fee may sound a little light, but firm interest could very well force other top flight clubs to show their hands, and a bidding war could take place. The Dutch maestro joined the Whites in 2020 for just £1.5m. He has made 77 first team league appearances, and netted 23 times.

Brighton have a reputation for getting their business done quickly, and without fuss; something that will appeal to the Leeds board. It has been widely speculated that Leeds want to sell before splashing out too much this Summer, but if they can raise £75m with the sales of Summerville, Gnonto and Harrison, they'll stay the right side of FFP, and have money left over for purchases. That's not to say that other Leeds players won't leave the club this Summer, but at least they'll be doing so on Leeds terms!

Can Everton raise £40m+ for double Leeds swoop

Everton have revived their interest in Wilfred Gnonto, and could join Jack Harrison at Goodison Park next season. Gnonto, still only 20, came close to joining the Toffee's last Summer, but the Elland Road board wouldn't budge from their £25m - £30m estimation, leading the Italian International to go on strike in a bid to force the move.

He was frozen out of first team affairs, and made to train by himself, but was welcomed back to the fray after apologising to Daniel Farke. He has another three years left on his contract, so Leeds can afford to spurn Everton's advances, but the Whites need to raise capital this Summer, to stay on the right side of Financial Fair Play, and rebuild a squad capable of automatic promotion.

Leeds don't need both Gnonto and James; it's a luxury no Championship outfit can justify. Gnonto is likely to raise more money, and has already attracted the attention of Roma and AC Milan, not that Italian clubs have a good reputation of paying market value.

It's looking ever so likely that Jack Harrison will stay at Goodison Park next season, which could see Everton try to wrap up both players signatures on permanent deals this Summer, but how likely is it that they can find at-least £40m to make it happen?

Leeds ready to make offer to Johnson

Ben Johnson has walked away from a five year mega deal with West Ham, in the quest for first team action! The 24yo versatile left-back is understood to be frustrated at the amount of minutes he earnt at the London Stadium last season, and has decided to cut ties with the club he has spend the last 17 years with. He is attracting attention from Rangers, Galatasaray and Crystal Palace.

With no fee to pay, Leeds can afford to put together an attractive package that could entice him to Elland Road. Johnson is a former England U21 International, and has made 69 senior appearances for the Hammers, scoring twice!

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th June) Brighton open talks over Summerville move

Post by The Subhuman »

Don't see anyway we get Johnson ... not in a free market

Would be a good move for Cry and for us. Hate seeing him go but that's football economics for you and he needs to test himself. He'll get opportunities down on the south coast he wouldn't get if one of the power 7 bought him
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 18th June) Brighton open talks over Summerville move

Post by DDB220 »

Everton will need to offload Braithwaite and possibly another (Onana ?) before they can spend and even then who knows what they will have available financially.

Johnson would be a good signing - but it depends what his motivations are. Money, minutes…etc

Ryan Sessegnon released by Spurs - former Championship player of the year as a young LB - still only 24. Played as AML for Spurs - Might be worth a look ?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Afternoon.

'Leeds don't need both Gnonto and James; it's a luxury no Championship outfit can justify"

Disagree, and if we lost one of them and Jimmy(who defo is leaving) then there will be clamour to bring in two more wingers. May as well hang on to Wee willy imo.

Everton have new owners, I would doubt they will buy before they spend.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Big difference between liverpool and brighton in terms of potential, then again, are the scousers just also rans, they do have a better pedigree in europe though, anyway, I resigned myself months ago for summerville & gnonto leaving , would be great getting shut of harrison as well, if only we can get someone interested in firpo it would be a great window.

I like the sound of sessegnon, was half decent before he went to spurs.

I suppose we get who we get.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:30 am Afternoon.

'Leeds don't need both Gnonto and James; it's a luxury no Championship outfit can justify"

Disagree, and if we lost one of them and Jimmy(who defo is leaving) then there will be clamour to bring in two more wingers. May as well hang on to Wee willy imo.

Everton have new owners, I would doubt they will buy before they spend.
I think Gnonto and James are both stronger on the right. I'm a big fan of James. He was probably one of the unsung heroes last season. 13 goals and 7 assists from 2500 minutes of game time is spectacular.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:32 am Morning all.
Big difference between liverpool and brighton in terms of potential, then again, are the scousers just also rans, they do have a better pedigree in europe though, anyway, I resigned myself months ago for summerville & gnonto leaving , would be great getting shut of harrison as well, if only we can get someone interested in firpo it would be a great window.

I like the sound of sessegnon, was half decent before he went to spurs.

I suppose we get who we get.
It's the football food chain. We sell Summerville to Brighton for 35m. They then sell him to a top 4 club in two years time for 60m
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:22 am Everton will need to offload Braithwaite and possibly another (Onana ?) before they can spend and even then who knows what they will have available financially.

Johnson would be a good signing - but it depends what his motivations are. Money, minutes…etc

Ryan Sessegnon released by Spurs - former Championship player of the year as a young LB - still only 24. Played as AML for Spurs - Might be worth a look ?
They can choose to just take Harrison on loan I suppose, and don't even have to pay us a loan fee
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:15 am Don't see anyway we get Johnson ... not in a free market

Would be a good move for Cry and for us. Hate seeing him go but that's football economics for you and he needs to test himself. He'll get opportunities down on the south coast he wouldn't get if one of the power 7 bought him
The one I want (on a free) is O'Hare.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:54 am It's the football food chain. We sell Summerville to Brighton for 35m. They then sell him to a top 4 club in two years time for 60m
Hopefully it sets a bidding war and we get nearer £45M for him :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:53 am I think Gnonto and James are both stronger on the right. I'm a big fan of James. He was probably one of the unsung heroes last season. 13 goals and 7 assists from 2500 minutes of game time is spectacular.
Gnonto is better on the left, but Cry blocked his path there. If Cry goes Gnonto is a ready made replacement but I do think both probably go leaving us with just Dan James as the only winger at the club. We were strong there last season, Anthony already gone Poveda was a very good 5th winger till we let him go on loan

I don't expect Harrison to be at ER next season but I suppose Aaronson could play right wing.. Not that we used pure wingers much last season
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:57 am Hopefully it sets a bidding war and we get nearer £45M for him :tup:
It would be nice. If they can guarantee 35m, they should take it, perhaps with a sell on clause.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:17 am It would be nice. If they can guarantee 35m, they should take it, perhaps with a sell on clause.
Thats exactly what we ought to be doing with all our players :tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

mentalcase wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:24 am Thats exactly what we ought to be doing with all our players :tup:
I can't believe we didn't get a sell on clause with Raphinha
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:28 am I can't believe we didn't get a sell on clause with Raphinha
We got the cash up front instead.
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager

Post by WhiteRose »

Can’t bring myself to pay any notice whatsoever to transfer rumours at the moment. It’s just the period of the year where “journalists” have carte blanche to make stuff up.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:58 am Gnonto is better on the left, but Cry blocked his path there. If Cry goes Gnonto is a ready made replacement but I do think both probably go leaving us with just Dan James as the only winger at the club. We were strong there last season, Anthony already gone Poveda was a very good 5th winger till we let him go on loan

I don't expect Harrison to be at ER next season but I suppose Aaronson could play right wing.. Not that we used pure wingers much last season
Is Gnonto left footed?

When playing down the right, he likes to cut inside. Nobody loves an inverted player more than Daniel Farke!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Gnonto is two footed
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:41 am Gnonto is two footed
What a surprise... just like the rest of the human species
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:41 am Gnonto is two footed
Yes, both left.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:
Must dash.
;@)