The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th July) Betis bargain bonanza

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th July) Betis bargain bonanza

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 8th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Betis bargain bonanza

Real Betis have convinced Leeds to part with Diego Llorente for just £2.5m according to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano. Llorente, an £18m signing from Real Sociedad four years ago, has been attracting interest from a host of European clubs, and looked set to be sold for considerably more than £4.2m (the fee fixed last Summer via a gentleman's agreement with Roma).

When the Giallorossi lost interest, Betis tried their luck! Confidence was already high, having just captured Marc Roca for £3.8m. Whether they have some kind of hold of the ER hierarchy is unknown, but at £2.5m, we might as well have kept him! This brings Real Betis's spending in West Yorkshire to £8m, leaving Leeds with a £22m loss on the pair (Roca cost £12m, whilst Llorente was bought for £18m).

Did Orta omit relegation clause to keep Llorente at ER

Former Spanish International Diego Llorente only signed a lucrative three and a half year deal at Leeds (£57,000 pw - £247,000 pm) a month before joining Roma on loan.

Herein may lie the problem. With Victor Orta given free reign to do what he liked, and Messrs Radrizzani (56% owners) and 49ers Enterprises (44% owners at the time) both showing a blatant disregard to the terms of their own players contracts, Orta may have omitted the 50% salary reduction (in-case of relegation).

We know the former Director of Football rated him highly. We have also been made aware in the past (from Phil Hay) that the 30yo was the only player signed during Bielsa's reign that the Argentine didn't sanction, but Orta was so insistent, Radrizzani bought Llorente anyway. Even though at this level, he would prove competitive, especially if he could show the same form he produced for Roma!

Trio should never play for Leeds again

Sun journalist Justin Allen has laid into Rasmus Kristensen, Max Wober and Diego Llorente, insisting the trio should never play for Leeds again, after deserting them last Summer in their time of need! He made his views very clear on Twitter over the weekend, but made special dispensation for Brenden Arronson, who, like the trio was quick to pack his bags and jump on the nearest plane!

It’s encouraging Brenden Aaronson is indicating he’ll return to Leeds this season after last summer activating a loan clause to leave Elland Road for Union Berlin. “This is good news for the LUFC after Archie Gray left for Tottenham. I personally think none of the others should be allowed to come back. “They jumped and didn’t want to right the wrongs of relegation – why should Daniel Farke want any of them to be part of his plans?

Whites renew interest in Liverpool flop

With Charlie Cresswell expecting to complete his £3.8m move to Toulouse in the next day or so, and similarly Liam Cooper expecting to move on, Leeds have renewed their interest in Liverpool centre-back Nat Phillips. Phillips was hotly tipped to join the Whites last Summer, but lost interest after capturing Joe Rodon. Instead, the 27yo joined Celtic on loan, but after a terrible start was returned to Anfield. He made a much better go of things at Cardiff after Christmas. He made 17 starts, and recorded a respectable 6.75 rating, placing him 4th in their squad rankings. Phillips is available at the cutdown price of just £5m, and if he can rediscover his recent form, will be money well invested.

Monday's Caption Competition

Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 8th July) Betis bargain bonanza

Post by Sean_Nile »

IMG_20240708_095735.jpg
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

The Sun journalist is a hypocrite ... nothing new there

I'll let you all into a little secret: You acquire some players, they don't work out, you lose money. You acquire other players, they do work out, you make money. You acquire some players, they basically make what you pay for them. Market forces, happens in all pro sports to every single pro team. Anyone think Kalvin is worth 50M?

I filled my car up with petrol last week, half of it is gone going places I didn't really want to but needed to go... What a waste of money eh?
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Hang fire Elland will ya, i'm just looking for my calculator.....
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:
Must dash.
;@)
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Kennyb41 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:14 am Hang fire Elland will ya, i'm just looking for my calculator.....
You found it yet?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Beam me up Scotty
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unsure about Nat Phillips :duno: we always seem to be linked with him.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:42 am Unsure about Nat Phillips :duno: we always seem to be linked with him.
Upgrade on Cooper tho.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:47 am Upgrade on Cooper tho.
I'm an upgrade on Cooper ! :lol:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:42 am Unsure about Nat Phillips :duno: we always seem to be linked with him.
I think it was Orange Box who said he was awful for Celtic?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I'm not sure Aaronson is suited to the physicality of the championship but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for fear of getting berated by Black Hills Paul.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Im still annoyed at the John Charles fiasco
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:47 am Upgrade on Cooper tho.
You clearly never saw his Celtic games.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:06 am I think it was Orange Box who said he was awful for Celtic?
It was mate. He was so bad even I was cheering for him 🇬🇧
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:15 am Im still annoyed at the John Charles fiasco
Sold him to Juventus for a poke o' chips and a bottle of olive oil. It's enough tae bile ma heid.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Maybe he was a closet Rangers fans :)
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:11 am I'm not sure Aaronson is suited to the physicality of the championship but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt
Hope Aaronson has spent some time in the gym.
A strong gust of wind could knock him over.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:29 am
Real Betis have convinced Leeds to part with Diego Llorente for just £2.5m according to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano. Llorente, an £18m signing from Real Sociedad four years ago, has been attracting interest from a host of European clubs, and looked set to be sold for considerably more than £4.2m (the fee fixed last Summer via a gentleman's agreement with Roma).

When the Giallorossi lost interest, Betis tried their luck! Confidence was already high, having just captured Marc Roca for £3.8m. Whether they have some kind of hold of the ER hierarchy is unknown, but at £2.5m, we might as well have kept him! This brings Real Betis's spending in West Yorkshire to £8m, leaving Leeds with a £22m loss on the pair (Roca cost £12m, whilst Llorente was bought for £18m).

Former Spanish International Diego Llorente only signed a lucrative three and a half year deal at Leeds (£57,000 pw - £247,000 pm) a month before joining Roma on loan.
It is not just the transfer fee but the wages that we have to look at when deciding to keep him or sell. At £57k that is £3m per year which is a lot to spend on a player that would be back up to Rodon - and for anyone saying Llorente would start ahead of Rodon I woould suggest that was unlikely given that we know that Rodon was rock solid in this division whereas we have no idea how Llorente waould fare in this league.

The wages are rumoured to be higher than that. I think it was Cjay that suggested that Kinnear said it was over £100k per week. That would then be a minimum of £5m per year. So even if we have accepted a low fee, £2.5m, him going would benefit us by £7.5m this year and a further £5m next year. I doubt Betis would be paying him £100k per week which is possibly why the fee is low as we may have had to accept less so that they have the money to match his wages.
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager

Post by WhiteRose »

Pullhard wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:27 am Hope Aaronson has spent some time in the gym.
A strong gust of wind could knock him over.
He has, he was quoted saying he had put on 6lbs of muscle mass
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Might be more prudent to save the negativity if we are mediocre next season. Besides, it is compelling PJM to adopt his private Frazer persona.

For me it stands to reason that even despite the RedBull sponsorship investment we had to sell Archie to comply with PSR, which means our finances are precarious.
This season we have a diminished parachute payment, significant debt and an expensive squad. Carrying players wages in the off season is expensive so the costs had to be trimmed. Llorente had to go as soon as possible as he was an expensive burden to the club. Unfortunately, as is the case with Rasmus and Wober finding a buyer is no easy task.
The club can only hold for so long with the position they are in control of the value of players. We are not really in a position to haemorrhage money on wages if there is a prudent opportunity to offload.

It may well be the case that both of the above leave for very little in terms of what they cost us initially. There is always a tipping point when a decisive decision must be made.

Incomings will occur when the fat is trimmed.