We will not get promoted

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
pjm2019
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

We will not get promoted

Post by pjm2019 »

Looking at our squad today and the players who are either looking to leave OR the club will sell if the offers are too good to turn down because we never seem to have enough funds. We have a squad which is less quality than last season. With 4 weeks to go before the season starts i just hope (not expect) that the club have a 7-8 players ready for us to put offers in.

Does anyone know how much Red Bull paid for their shares and what % they purchased.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: we will not get promoted

Post by Irish Ian »

Too early for twitching

We have sold one starting player and moved on bench warmers.
We have signed the best CB in the league.

Let the boss sort out the rest of the returning loan players status first.

And enjoy the sunshine 🌞

Further to that.
7 or 8 new players is a huge expectation and not one I would share at this point.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: We will not get promoted

Post by Jaydog »

If we win the first 6 games will we drop the “not”.
And then lose the next 6 and bring “not” back.
Always bring Toney on. Not Watkins.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Too early to judge next season.

I personally think we'll go up.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

2023/4 first team losses in red, Additions in Blue

Meslier/Darlow/Klaesson
Gray/Shackleton/Roberts
Firpo/Byram
Struijk/Cooper
Rodon/Cresswell
Ampadu/Gruev
James/Gnonto
Kamara
Bamford/Piroe/Joseph
Georginio/Aaronson/Gelhardt
Summerville/Anthony

We did get lucky last season in that, apart from Paddy and Struijk, we kept players fit, but a first team squad for the championship should be around 22/24 for around 50 games.
Last edited by The Subhuman on Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Imo, it isn't a race to get to the Prem, I'd like it next year, but not in the wrong condition for it.

DF has stated, 1 rung at a time.

I'll be really disappointed if we're not challenging for promotion, and more disappointed if we don't get it, but if i can see the overall bigger picture of the club getting stronger and stronger, i'll weigh it all up again.

If DF sorts everything out, internally and externally, we can then weigh up if he's the man to take us forward on the pitch.

Up until then, i'm more than happy with his progress.

He's levelheaded, and is prepared to promote hard workers from within if he feels they're good enough.

Crew might be the next Gray, he seems to have a good eye for this type of decision.

Crack on DF, you've got my full attention anyhoos.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:
Must dash.
;@)
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

C'mon PJ, surely you've been around long enough to know we won't be able to judge this year's side until the window closes. July 8 is very early to be predicting doom.

I will allow that I think the pressure to go up this season will be immense because if we're still in the Championship next summer there will have to be a mighty financial reckoning.
Last edited by onemoreslogan on Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Far too early to panic. We have lost one first team starter so far. So realistically I would expect that we are looking to bring in a right back. Transfers after that I suspect will more focus on if anyone else fromt he first team goes, i.e. Summerville, Gnonto and Kamara being the most likely at present.

We are in the position where the squad needs tweaks not a major overhaul unless more players get sold - even then I would suspect it would likely be a case of 1 goes out and 1 comes in to replace.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

We will be in the mix for promotion this season.

This time last year, we were a shambles.
We started the season and had 3 points after 4 games … that’s almost like starting with a points deduction.

The ship has been steadied and we seem to be operating at a much higher level off the pitch.

A few additions to the squad hopefully.

I am quietly optimistic.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

We will see.

We've only lost 1 real starter in Gray.

But we are losing a lot of bench players and they still need replacing.

Cooper, Anthony, Roberts/Spence, Shacks, Cresswell.

Most of them were on our bench last season more often than not.

Many thought we'd have a deeper squad for some reason this season than last, it seems unlikely.

Hard to imagine we will be signing 7,8,9 players?

Which once the inevitable departures of either or both of Gnonto and Summerville go it will need to be if its to be even the same numbers as last season.

Imo though this is all expected, getting costs down 2nd season, getting liquid cash into the club through sales.

Not popular but expected.

Have to see how it plays out.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If we're going to sell the likes of Summerville, Gnonto, Kamara, Firpo etc. Would be nice to do it in the next couple of weeks giving us 2 weeks to add 7 or 8 players and get them ready for the new season so that lame couldn't start the season well excuse doesn't get used again ...
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:25 am 2023/4 first team losses in red, Additions in Blue

Meslier/Darlow/Klaesson
Gray/Shackleton/Roberts
Firpo/Byram
Struijk/Cooper
Rodon/Cresswell
Ampadu/Gruev
James/Gnonto
Kamara
Bamford/Piroe/Joseph
Georginio/Aaronson/Gelhardt
Summerville/Anthony

We did get lucky last season in that, apart from Paddy and Struijk, we kept players fit, but a first team squad for the championship should be around 22/24 for around 50 games.
So at least another five to seven signings.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

onemoreslogan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:41 am C'mon PJ, surely you've been around long enough to know we won't be able to judge this year's side until the window closes. July 8 is very early to be predicting doom.

I will allow that I think the pressure to go up this season will be immense because if we're still in the Championship next summer there will have to be a mighty financial reckoning.
Does Pjm remember what state our club was in a year ago on the 8th July 2023?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:03 pm Far too early to panic. We have lost one first team starter so far. So realistically I would expect that we are looking to bring in a right back. Transfers after that I suspect will more focus on if anyone else fromt he first team goes, i.e. Summerville, Gnonto and Kamara being the most likely at present.

We are in the position where the squad needs tweaks not a major overhaul unless more players get sold - even then I would suspect it would likely be a case of 1 goes out and 1 comes in to replace.
Apart from Archie who was an enforced departure, we've only lost an ageing CB & players that hardly featured in the first-team last season.

I don't get the panic, much of the pessimism come from fans who post on the YouTube sites.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Pullhard wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:25 pm We will be in the mix for promotion this season.

This time last year, we were a shambles.
We started the season and had 3 points after 4 games … that’s almost like starting with a points deduction.

The ship has been steadied and we seem to be operating at a much higher level off the pitch.

A few additions to the squad hopefully.

I am quietly optimistic.
We didn't even have ownership come the start of last season. :shock:
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:51 pm So at least another five to seven signings.
Hopefully of better quality than Cairns...
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:35 pm Cooper, Anthony, Roberts/Spence, Shacks, Cresswell.
All replaceable.

I'm not losing any sleep with the departure of that lot.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:04 pm Hopefully of better quality than Cairns...
I doubt Cairns will even feature in our cup teams, let alone in the championship.

Must be cheaper than Klaesson.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1964white wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:06 pm All replaceable.

I'm not losing any sleep with the departure of that lot.
I'd be surprised if we get better bench players than most of them.

But point being they still need replacing and that's before you start trying to improve the first 11.

Kick off in a month.
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:41 pm If we're going to sell the likes of Summerville, Gnonto, Kamara, Firpo etc. Would be nice to do it in the next couple of weeks giving us 2 weeks to add 7 or 8 players and get them ready for the new season so that lame couldn't start the season well excuse doesn't get used again ...
I'm 99% sure one of if not both Summerville and Gnonto go.

And given how many have said Summerville is a very good influence on Gnonto I'm not sure I'd want Gnonto here without his mate.

Kamara is a bit of a surprise but is quite a bit of chat.

If 2 of those go that's a lot of players to sign by August 10th.
Signed

King Cjay