Alex Cairns-Welcome

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Alex Cairns-Welcome

Post by Cjay »

Confirmed now in a few places.

31 year old former academy goalie Alex Cairns is returning after 9 years in the lower leagues.

Spent 6 years in League 1 as number 1 for Fleetwood.

Has spent the last 2 years in League 2 as number 1 for Salford.
Last edited by Cjay on Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Alex Cairns-Incoming

Post by Jaydog »

I’m sure this statement of intent will please PJM so much that he’ll remove the NOT from his latest thread.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:32 am I’m sure this statement of intent will please PJM so much that he’ll remove the NOT from his latest thread.
😂😂😂😂. Someone just write him off as a cheap option and have done with it.

There will be a few more Alex Cairns joining this season, nothing wrong with a a perceived bargain but it has to work.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I don't get it ... I really don't get it.
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:15 pm I don't get it ... I really don't get it.
Seems a very clever move as he is classed as a homegrown player and I think you need something like 8 of those in your first team squad. With us selling Gray and likely Cresswell too it may be that we needed a home grown player and in getting Cairns we have a reasonably decent keeper, for back-up level, that is homegrown.

Realistically as a 3rd choice keeper he isn't going to be brilliant but he seems to be at least competent and I think he did okay when we played aganst him in the cup.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:23 pm Seems a very clever move as he is classed as a homegrown player and I think you need something like 8 of those in your first team squad. With us selling Gray and likely Cresswell too it may be that we needed a home grown player and in getting Cairns we have a reasonably decent keeper, for back-up level, that is homegrown.

Realistically as a 3rd choice keeper he isn't going to be brilliant but he seems to be at least competent and I think he did okay when we played aganst him in the cup.
Exactly.

I don't understand what there is to 'get'

He'll be 3rd choice, will hardly ever play, and we've probably saved money.

With the added bonus, he could be quite good now, and improving.

DF or Hammond might've spotted he can use his feet, or even catch a cross.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:
Must dash.
;@)
AcrossThePondAsh
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by AcrossThePondAsh »

Source: https://x.com/LUFC/status/1810365792170717231
In Farke we trust...
JoeDenver
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Alex Cairns-Welcome

Post by JoeDenver »

Looked to be the best keeper on the pitch when we faced them in the Carabao Cup. Made tons of saves and won the penalty shootout. Wouldn’t be surprised if he jumps ahead of Darlow. I welcome the competition. Welcome home, Alex!
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

The Subhuman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 12:15 pm I don't get it ... I really don't get it.
Same reason Man City signed Scott Carson... At least he's from the academy. I'd rather see him get a chance over Darlow, as he's been playing regular football.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Rumour has it the pen slipped out of his fingers just before signing the contract.

Be warned.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Who's next? Alex Mowatt?
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"