Marcelo Bielsa, The kind of man people name stadiums after!

Comment on MarchingOnTogether.co.uk news stories.
Norm
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Marcelo Bielsa, The kind of man people name stadiums after!

Post by Norm »

rab_rant wrote:
Never won any trophies? The 11 players on the pitch are his trophies. The new heart in the city of Leeds is his trophy. Honour is the gift a man gives to himself. No man gives it to him and no man can take it away. Bielsa has untold trophies related to the human spirit where moth and rust do not corrupt.

The trophy of changed lives is more precious than any tarnished silverware.
Beautifully stated
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

rab_rant wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:22 am Never won any trophies? The 11 players on the pitch are his trophies. The new heart in the city of Leeds is his trophy. Honour is the gift a man gives to himself. No man gives it to him and no man can take it away. Bielsa has untold trophies related to the human spirit where moth and rust do not corrupt.

Give me time mate. :)
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Great post and history lesson, YorkshireSquare. Thank you.
rab_rant wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:22 am Never won any trophies? The 11 players on the pitch are his trophies. The new heart in the city of Leeds is his trophy. Honour is the gift a man gives to himself. No man gives it to him and no man can take it away. Bielsa has untold trophies related to the human spirit where moth and rust do not corrupt.

^^^ This
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The fact that Bielsa hasn't won as many trophies as he probably should makes him a perfect fit for Leeds.

Revie really could and should have won the D1 title more than twice, the FA cup once, and only one European trophy as well.

But Revie's and Bielsa's approach to the game was what makes them both icons for me.

While I will always be grateful to Wilko and O'Leary for the journey they took us on, what Bielsa is bringing to Leeds is something more than the football.

It is the ideals, the humanity, the belief that principles work if you stick to them. Everytime I look at the quote about how he feels about his players it fills me with awe, he is such a refreshing character.

If we are playing Premiership football next season, what Bielsa is trying to do on the football pitch will be on show before a larger audience- they got a glimpse of it for 45 minutes at least one Monday night in January,-I do wonder if the richer clubs may come calling.. "come and work your wonders with us".
Your last big chance to display your skills across Europe in the Champions League....

Will Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, ManU, and even Citeh as Pep is into the last week of his £15M contract come calling?

I know Bielsa isnt materialistic but like the rest of us aspires to be better and I do wonder how strong a temptation it may be for him to step back onto the Big Stage.

Can Radz and Orta give him the tools he needs to do it here?

If so they will probably rename the whole city after him.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Peter in Blackpool
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Peter in Blackpool »

I dont think MB would be half as effective managing a team of proven PL regulars. Can you really see him trying to get the likes of Stirling and company fitter and demanding a higher workload from them? Think he would end up with the same fate as the late Brian Clough got when he came to Leeds.

MB's appeal is improving average players, not the cream. If truth were told, based on skill levels we have a below average championship side that have been pushed and bullied to increase their fitness and workrate levels. The team has been a joy to watch this last 2 years, not for their skill but their workrate, they just simply do not stop running. I believe that is why Augustin didnt fit in, just couldnt be arsed putting in the supreme effort demanded by MB
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am The fact that Bielsa hasn't won as many trophies as he probably should makes him a perfect fit for Leeds.

Revie really could and should have won the D1 title more than twice, the FA cup once, and only one European trophy as well.

But Revie's and Bielsa's approach to the game was what makes them both icons for me.

While I will always be grateful to Wilko and O'Leary for the journey they took us on, what Bielsa is bringing to Leeds is something more than the football.

It is the ideals, the humanity, the belief that principles work if you stick to them. Everytime I look at the quote about how he feels about his players it fills me with awe, he is such a refreshing character.

If we are playing Premiership football next season, what Bielsa is trying to do on the football pitch will be on show before a larger audience- they got a glimpse of it for 45 minutes at least one Monday night in January,-I do wonder if the richer clubs may come calling.. "come and work your wonders with us".
Your last big chance to display your skills across Europe in the Champions League....

Will Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, ManU, and even Citeh as Pep is into the last week of his £15M contract come calling?

I know Bielsa isnt materialistic but like the rest of us aspires to be better and I do wonder how strong a temptation it may be for him to step back onto the Big Stage.

A truly excellent post !! :ok: :tup:
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:23 pm I dont think MB would be half as effective managing a team of proven PL regulars. Can you really see him trying to get the likes of Stirling and company fitter and demanding a higher workload from them? Think he would end up with the same fate as the late Brian Clough got when he came to Leeds.

MB's appeal is improving average players, not the cream. If truth were told, based on skill levels we have a below average championship side that have been pushed and bullied to increase their fitness and workrate levels. The team has been a joy to watch this last 2 years, not for their skill but their workrate, they just simply do not stop running. I believe that is why Augustin didnt fit in, just couldnt be arsed putting in the supreme effort demanded by MB
You may be right Peter but Bielsa may not see it that way. He has enough belief in his own methods and has the ability to get players on his side.
I don't want Bielsa to go anywhere if Leeds can keep him and have the resources to bring in players for the start of training this summer.But if he honestly feels that he can take us no further we can be sure he wont stagnate at Elland Road, he wont stay here any longer than needed.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

That's essentially what Pep says in the Bielsa documentary. :tup:

He can do no wrong in my eyes. We are playing the best football since the O'Leary days when we reached the CL semi final and spent more money than Ridsdale had in sense. Football has changed for the worse. Money has always been around but today's game is run on billions not millions and very few can live with the big teams.

Revie will always be the Number 1. We were at the top for years when everything was fairly equal then. I always think the energy he expended at the club probably started his decline in health. That's how much it meant to Revie.

Howard over achieved for me with the squad he had. The vision he had for Thorpe Arch as produced some fantastic talent over the years, just a shame that Ridsdale nearly ruined Howard's legacy.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Peter in Blackpool wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:23 pm I dont think MB would be half as effective managing a team of proven PL regulars. Can you really see him trying to get the likes of Stirling and company fitter and demanding a higher workload from them? Think he would end up with the same fate as the late Brian Clough got when he came to Leeds.

At the time Liverpool were also rans, Sterling wanted big money and a chance of trophies, he got his way. If you want the big name players, Leicester proved that isn't always necessary, then you need money and to be up their constantly. The big names are usually the one's that strop and cause ill feeling inside a club, if a successful team can be built without them, that would be great.
If any player comes to Leeds under Bielsa, then they know what they're in for, you want the one's that want to improve their game by putting in the effort, there's hardly a player that he hasn't improved since his time here.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:38 am The fact that Bielsa hasn't won as many trophies as he probably should makes him a perfect fit for Leeds.

Couldn't have said it better Ian. Bielsa and this club are a match made in heaven. I don't blame some for doubting him at times - the heartbreak we've suffered for so long still resonates strongly within our fanbase. Some will never believe we've entered a new era until they've seen it, but it's only natural that after having your heart broken it takes a lot to learn to trust again.

There's plenty more drama on the road ahead and always will be, but everything I've seen of Bielsa, everything I've learned convinces me money isn't the issue (unless it's how he can use it to help others - the donations to Newell's is proof), and I'd like to think he's got a soft spot for Yorkshire and her people being a bit of a country boy himself. Those soulful connections are what matters to him, I think, and I think it goes both ways.
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

Gurj wrote:Love the guy to bits, even had we not reached the promised land this season ( and I know we haven't yet) I would have been advocating that this club provide some kind of lasting tribute to the man but now, as we stand on the verge of finally, finally, relieving the pain of 16 years in the doldrums, then we simply must do something !!

Some of us had probably heard of Bielsa prior to he's arrival, some probably didn't have a clue, but the way he has turned our fortunes around, playing the best football I have ever seen at ER, is just unbelievable. He hasn't won the trophies that he's career deserved but getting Leeds United to the Premier league will surely be one of the greatest achievements he could have accomplished given the set of players he had at he's disposal when he first joined the club.

I am not embarrassed to state that I will shed tears galore when this man decides to walk away from great club, it will hurt like hell, but until that fateful moment, Ladies and Gentlemen cherish each and every day that he remains with us, for we truly blessed to have him reside at the helm !
And Orta for making it all happen Image nuff said .

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

gessa wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:21 am Hard to believe when we were on our bad run, folk were questioning his abilities, some even stating it may be time for him to go. Remember, they said, he's never won anything, he has no plan B, and is too loyal.
Sadly in today's society so many people seem to think they are experts at something despite never having done it in their lives. People who say if Bielsa made this decision we'd have won and as such that is truth to them despite never having to actually prove that what they would have done would have worked. People who expect Bielsa just to win every game, every player to be brilliant every match, every chance to be taken by the striker, every save to be made by the keeper etc.

Loyalty and understanding of football and humanity is something these fans simply don't have.

As for Bielsa not winning much in his career Guardiola got it 100% right when he said Bielsa would have won loads of trophies if he'd managed the clubs that he (Pep) had. How many trophies had the clubs that Bielsa managed won in the few years before he took over or the few years after he left? The clubs he has managed have never been the Barcelonas, Bayern Munichs, Paris St Germain, Celtic or Rangers type teams that start every season as favourites to win the league. They have been teams that no one would have expected to win their leagues. Even his successes in Argentina were not at the fancied clubs, the Boca Juniors or River Plates in Argentina for example. What he did with Newells was similar to what Alex Ferguson did with Aberdeen when he broke the Celtic/Rangers stranglehold in Scotland.

Bielsa gets more out of 'ordinary' players than other managers do. He turns them into players and a team that punches above the weight that they were punching at. He exceeds expectations then gets criticised as the players couldn't keep fighting above their weight. Has he been at a club long enough to start getting the players in that he wants, the players that he sees as being able to improve what he has? We have already seen with the players that have come in at Leeds that it can take at least a season for players under him to start improving.
mothbanquet
Manager
Manager

Post by mothbanquet »

weasel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:53 pm Sadly in today's society so many people seem to think they are experts at something despite never having done it in their lives. People who say if Bielsa made this decision we'd have won and as such that is truth to them despite never having to actually prove that what they would have done would have worked. People who expect Bielsa just to win every game, every player to be brilliant every match, every chance to be taken by the striker, every save to be made by the keeper etc.
This is why I tend to bite my tongue when just because we haven't scored for 20, 30, even 90 mins in yesterday's case, some folk say we didn't play well. Yes, there are definitely certain periods where things aren't quite clicking but these aren't actually that often in the space of a match. To say that we weren't playing well the whole game, which I've heard quite a bit, really discredits Swansea - and by extension ourselves. Why are we judged only to be playing well when other teams are playing badly when two teams can play well and victory comes by a narrow margin? The first 44 mins against Stoke is another example.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Gurj wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:32 am I am not embarrassed to state that I will shed tears galore when this man decides to walk away from great club, it will hurt like hell, but until that fateful moment, Ladies and Gentlemen cherish each and every day that he remains with us, for we truly blessed to have him reside at the helm !
Me too Gurj :verysad: amazing we don't know these people personally however they are part of our everyday lives. I'm a emotional fella, the sad loss of Norm & Big Jack has already had me in buckets of tears over the last three months.

We are just one huge Leeds United family
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:33 pm This is why I tend to bite my tongue when just because we haven't scored for 20, 30, even 90 mins in yesterday's case, some folk say we didn't play well. Yes, there are definitely certain periods where things aren't quite clicking but these aren't actually that often in the space of a match. To say that we weren't playing well the whole game, which I've heard quite a bit, really discredits Swansea - and by extension ourselves. Why are we judged only to be playing well when other teams are playing badly when two teams can play well and victory comes by a narrow margin? The first 44 mins against Stoke is another example.
Indeed. It's like people simply expect the opposition to turn up, be amazed at our players and fold. If the goal against Swansea had happened in the 20th minute then the match changes completely and likely we would have more space to play in and the game becomes a better spectacle. Without the goal late in the first half against Stoke who knows what the second half performance would have been like, with or without Pablo. There is little to separate most teams in this league. Brentford for example on a great run but along the way they got to play Wigan the game after the club went into administration - what was training like that week for the Wigan players, what was their intensity levels like in the match etc when they had all that going on. Brentford got gifted a penalty through a needless challenge against Charlton when behind, had a keeper error go their way when level v Derby etc. People can look at their form and go wow but they haven't been simply tuning up and strolling to wins. Similarly we got gifted the penalty against Stoke, a definite penalty but a needless one to give away. Without that goal a nervy second half would have been in store for us. Against Blackburn at 1-0 up we were very sloppy and Blackburn should have scored. Very rare at any level that you dominate the match for 90 minutes.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

rrfierce wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:04 am i'm 100% getting a bielsa tattoo if he gets us up
I'm adding his name and the date to my existing badge!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

mothbanquet wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:15 am Wow, never knew Argentina's football league was the first one outside the British Isles, that's amazing. Let's keep this man as long as we possibly can. Who knows, perhaps our great club is where he will finally be given the time and resources to complete his perfect footballing formula? With our youth system now fully committed to this formula, who knows what it could lead to in the future?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bf4 ... /downloads

If you have time check out this brilliant series MB.

The Episode "Exporting football" describes how British Civil servants brought Footy to the South America.
'
Iant

Post by Iant »

With Leeds if is a very very big word....