Derby v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Derby v Leeds - Team/Reports/Ratings

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:think it was a red myself, late and intentional.
It was mate, he should have taken an early bath
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:Hernandez much better since the substitutions
Hernandez is a quality player & showed his worth when we spent more time attacking in the last 20 minutes as oppose to standing off, playing tippy-tappy stuff & passing the ball backwards for the majority of the game
1964white

Post by 1964white »

I'd have subbed Phillips with Vieira yesterday

Has Monk gone off Vieira ?
rab_rant

Post by rab_rant »

I heard Bartley's header crash off the bar here in Finland. He should give Chris Wood
some tips about how to attack and head the ball. Green had a great save from Hughes.
You can see the Leeds players lifting their hand to celebrate as Antonsson curls the ball
past the keeper only to be denied by the post. O'Kane MOTM. Once we get Liam back on
the pitch I think our midfield will be solid. It is only the attack that we need to worry about
since I think the defence and creative midfield play is sorted.

gessa

Post by gessa »

I still think if Taylor had continued his run toward the ball instead of checking it, he would have got to it to block the shot from Russell.

Monk disappointed me yesterday by not subbing Wood earlier, he was never in the game, he never plays well after the international break always looks tired and disinterested, He has scored a few but his all round play is poor, time for a change, Antonnson should be given a start Tuesday.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

gessa wrote:I still think if Taylor had continued his run toward the ball instead of checking it, he would have got to it to block the shot from Russell.

Monk disappointed me yesterday by not subbing Wood earlier, he was never in the game, he never plays well after the international break always looks tired and disinterested, He has scored a few but his all round play is poor, time for a change, Antonnson should be given a start Tuesday.
Taylor was also very sloppy & casual twice that gave Derby a cheap corner which led to their goal

Premiership player my arse, he'll end up on the bench as is the case with Sam Byram & Lewis Cook

Our young players, their agents & some of our fans think they are better than they are.

Mowatt is heading to League One if he doesn't shape himself quickly, although he does nothing in a hurry :(
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Antonsson had a third of the luck Wood does he's scoring 30 in a season
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

gessa wrote:I still think if Taylor had continued his run toward the ball instead of checking it, he would have got to it to block the shot from Russell.

Have to disagree there mate, Wood looked disinterested? He worked very hard off the ball and the only way Keogh and Pearce were stopping him was by fouling him, however, half the fouls weren't given. At one point Keogh literally jumped over Wood and landed on him. I remember in the first half chased Keogh about 20 yards won the ball back with a fair challenge and it was given as a foul we had a 3 v 2 situation before the foul was given, the game could have been so different yesterday :(.
He was tired, however, it didn't help he played 90 minutes on Sunday and Tuesday for New Zealand.
To be honest, there were a few passes from Wood which looked poor, however, half of the time it was down to players like Ayling and Sacko who will pass the ball to someone like Wood or Hernandez but they don't carry on running for a return pass. When Roofe came on he would pass the ball and carried on running.
Antonsson made a good impact yesterday (for the first time as a substitute for Leeds I will add), however, I would be very very disappointed if we are starting a player who hasn't scored since the 20th August ahead of a striker who has a better goals a game rate than Becchio and McCormack. Wood is key to how we play, the 3 behind Chris Wood were very disappointing overall yesterday.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gary Shaw wrote:Have to disagree there mate, Wood looked disinterested? He worked very hard off the ball and the only way Keogh and Pearce were stopping him was by fouling him, however, half the fouls weren't given. At one point Keogh literally jumped over Wood and landed on him. I remember in the first half chased Keogh about 20 yards won the ball back with a fair challenge and it was given as a foul we had a 3 v 2 situation before the foul was given, the game could have been so different yesterday :(.
He was tired, however, it didn't help he played 90 minutes on Sunday and Tuesday for New Zealand.
To be honest, there were a few passes from Wood which looked poor, however, half of the time it was down to players like Ayling and Sacko who will pass the ball to someone like Wood or Hernandez but they don't carry on running for a return pass. When Roofe came on he would pass the ball and carried on running.
Antonsson made a good impact yesterday (for the first time as a substitute for Leeds I will add), however, I would be very very disappointed if we are starting a player who hasn't scored since the 20th August ahead of a striker who has a better goals a game rate than Becchio and McCormack. Wood is key to how we play, the 3 behind Chris Wood were very disappointing overall yesterday.
I think a game does look different and you can judge players differently from watching live football to watching it on TV, but nothing I saw from Wood yesterday impressed me, I fully understand he played in those 2 games and then had a 20 odd hour flight to get back to the UK but these are young fit athlete's and should be able to cope, if not then he shouldn't have started the game. The last part of your quote does show how stats can be used to suit a point, Antonnson not scored since 20th August but how much game time has he had since then,, Antonnson had the same players around him as Wood did for most of the game and threatened more in 10 minutes than Wood did in 80. All about opinions I suppose mate.
Oscar
First Team
First Team

Post by Oscar »

gessa wrote:I think a game does look different and you can judge players differently from watching live football to watching it on TV, but nothing I saw from Wood yesterday impressed me, I fully understand he played in those 2 games and then had a 20 odd hour flight to get back to the UK but these are young fit athlete's and should be able to cope, if not then he shouldn't have started the game. The last part of your quote does show how stats can be used to suit a point, Antonnson not scored since 20th August but how much game time has he had since then,, Antonnson had the same players around him as Wood did for most of the game and threatened more in 10 minutes than Wood did in 80. All about opinions I suppose mate.
There's no doubt about it mate Antonsson had a better game than Wood yesterday not doubting that for one minute. However, I think over the season Wood has been far more impressive than Antonsson and Antonsson hasn't done anywhere near enough in my opinon yet to be starting games.

I agree athletes should be able to play regular football, I would hope that I would still be able to play 3 x 90 minute matches a week, however, the travelling and the distance Wood has to cover playing on his own as a striker probably didn't help things. I don't know for when Wood was back in Yorkshire. However, the earliest he could have possibly left New Zealand was Wednesday morning and then arrived and with the time difference etc I would imagine the earliest he would have been training for us would have been Thursday wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have time to get him back into training at all to be honest. As captain of New Zealand there is no chance Wood is going to pull out any games for New Zealand so we need to come up with a better plan for when New Zealand next play. Maybe Wood shouldn't have started at all yesterday, I notice Aguero was on the bench for Man City probably because they were that concerned about him being match fit I would imagine.

With my 20th August stat Antonsson has started 4 games in that time as well as 3 substitute appearances, so that's 7 appearances without a goal.
gessa

Post by gessa »

Gary Shaw wrote:There's no doubt about it mate Antonsson had a better game than Wood yesterday not doubting that for one minute. However, I think over the season Wood has been far more impressive than Antonsson and Antonsson hasn't done anywhere near enough in my opinon yet to be starting games.

I agree athletes should be able to play regular football, I would hope that I would still be able to play 3 x 90 minute matches a week, however, the travelling and the distance Wood has to cover playing on his own as a striker probably didn't help things. I don't know for when Wood was back in Yorkshire. However, the earliest he could have possibly left New Zealand was Wednesday morning and then arrived and with the time difference etc I would imagine the earliest he would have been training for us would have been Thursday wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have time to get him back into training at all to be honest. As captain of New Zealand there is no chance Wood is going to pull out any games for New Zealand so we need to come up with a better plan for when New Zealand next play. Maybe Wood shouldn't have started at all yesterday, I notice Aguero was on the bench for Man City probably because they were that concerned about him being match fit I would imagine.

With my 20th August stat Antonsson has started 4 games in that time as well as 3 substitute appearances, so that's 7 appearances without a goal.
My main point was Wood shouldn't have started yesterday.

Tbf, Wood has gone 7 games without a goal in the past mate, Antonnson should start Tuesday, Wood needs a rest, he should on the bench imo.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

To be fair I like continuity and unless Antonsson gets a run I'd rather he sat on the bench. Sporadic starts won't help any striker. I'd rather stick with the lacklustre Wood
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Gurj
Manager
Manager

Post by Gurj »

Like it or not Wood is our main man up front, and one of the reasons we didnt get anything from Saturday was he just wasnt in the game enough. There was very little service to him in my opinion. The other reason we fell short was that Sacko went completely AWOL. Apart from the odd run in the first half, he just didnt seem like the energetic, vibrant player he has been of late.

To beat Wigan, and definitely Wolves, we will need both players to be much more involved.
LEEDS AND FOREVER PROUD TO BE !!
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Gary Shaw wrote: Antonsson made a good impact yesterday (for the first time as a substitute for Leeds I will add)
Am guessing coming off the bench in the 76th minute v Fleetwood and scoring a last minute equaliser (in a match which would have really seen Monk in the sh*t if we'd lost) wasn't much of an impact?

He also had a good impact when coming on in the first match v QPR albeit missing a good chance but had a very good impact and gave Leeds a bit of late impetus.

However I do agree Wood is integral to the way the team is set up to play but would prefer to see Antonnson come on alongside Wood instead of replacing him when we are chasing a game.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Problem with Wood is he doesn't get in good positions and isn't quick enough to bother half decent defenders. That's why it appears he doesn't get good service
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote:Am guessing coming off the bench in the 76th minute v Fleetwood and scoring a last minute equaliser (in a match which would have really seen Monk in the sh*t if we'd lost) wasn't much of an impact?

He also had a good impact when coming on in the first match v QPR albeit missing a good chance but had a very good impact and gave Leeds a bit of late impetus.

However I do agree Wood is integral to the way the team is set up to play but would prefer to see Antonsson come on alongside Wood instead of replacing him when we are chasing a game.

agreed but it is an area in need of serious upgrade. Being the best we have at playing that role isn't saying much as he's the only one we have capable of playing that role...
mav
First Team
First Team

Post by mav »

I watched the game on the worlds worst stream so I can't give ratings really.

But I thought it showed what Dallas brings to the team and that anyone saying Cook would not get into our team are dreaming.

I was sure Henandez was going to play wide left and Mowatt number 10 when I saw the lineup though, now I wish they had!

Regardless of fitness being on a plane for that amount of time while recovering from a match would be less than ideal, I would have put Wood on the bench.
Every game I predict a 3 - 1 Leeds win, I am traditional like that.