Sunday 15th March 2020 | 13.00 Cardiff City Stadium
Leeds travel to the Welsh Capital on Sunday lunchtime as they bid to stay top of the Championship and secure their sixth consecutive win in a row. The Whites are a point ahead of the Baggies, but more importantly seven points ahead of third place Fulham who are the visitors to Elland Road in a massive six pointer next Wednesday.
Influential midfielder Kalvin Phillips should return to the starting line up after missing the Huddersfield game with a minor knee injury. After scoring his 13th goal of the season against Huddersfield last week, Patrick Bamford looks set to keep his place as lone striker. Klich, White, Dallas and Harrison all play their 38th game of the season.
Ninth place Cardiff are only two points away from the play off zone. Bielsa's men will remember too well their encounter mid December when the Bluebirds came from three - nil down to secure a point.
This game worries me. It has since I saw the fixture list last July. As such I had penned it down as a loss.
It makes me think of how we dominated Forest at home but got mugged late on then struggled at their place.
I just have this concern we lose the next two and are dragged back into the pack.
Leeds will know what to expect from Cardiff and we really need our taller players to be on their game.
Meslier will be given his sternest test yet as Cardiff will use high balls into the area as their main weapon.
But we are starting to see goals coming so maybe wee can sneak a couple.
But a point would not be a disaster.
' "Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Irish Ian wrote: ↑Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 pm
This game worries me. It has since I saw the fixture list last July. As such I had penned it down as a loss.
It makes me think of how we dominated Forest at home but got mugged late on then struggled at their place.
I just have this concern we lose the next two and are dragged back into the pack.
Leeds will know what to expect from Cardiff and we really need our taller players to be on their game.
Meslier will be given his sternest test yet as Cardiff will use high balls into the area as their main weapon.
But we are starting to see goals coming so maybe wee can sneak a couple.
But a point would not be a disaster.
This is the first of four really tough away games we have left. All four of the teams we have to play away, Cardiff, Swansea, Blackburn and Derby are pushing hard for a play off place and Cardiff will be well up for it on Sunday.
A point definitely wouldn't be a disaster when you consider our poor record down there.
In our 'next 6 games' competition this is the one game I put down as a defeat but based on how we are currently playing we are more than capable of winning it.
The fact that Neil Harris manages them now makes me dislike them more than I already did.
If Brentford could turn Fulham over tomorrow night that would be great and then our game on Sunday sort of becomes a 'free hit'
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
No worries , Leeds have this now! They know what's required to beat these and Cardiff will play right into our hands by gifting us goals on the break.
Championys !
This is our time and the lads know it. They're playing to win the league now, like they know they belong in the Prem.
There was one five minute passage of play in the second half against Huddersfield, just after Bamford's goal I think, where we simply mauled them. If memory serves that's when Jack hit the woodwork but I may be wrong. Either way I distinctly remember thinking that we look more predatory now than we did in the first half of the season.
They keep up this form and no way anyone can stop us. No way.
danhirons wrote:going to be behind closed doors every game from now on by the looks of it...
If this is correct I wonder how it will affect the players not having thousands of fans cheering them on . Can't imagine how they'll feel going out against Fulham into an empty stadium for what could be almost a promotion decider.
danhirons wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:00 am
going to be behind closed doors every game from now on by the looks of it...
I think it has been inevitable for a few days now. With other countries doing it we were bound to follow suit.
I'd rather the games be played and us get promoted on merit rather than a technicality (season suspended and positions at the time of suspension counting). It will be both awful and bizarre if we do finally clinch promotion and its in an empty stadium.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
I think a draw here wouldn't be a disaster but we need to beat fulham and I think we go up. If Fulham had of ditched Parker a long time ago I think they would be top of the league.
Let hope Celtic beat the mongs aswell to round off a perfect Sunday
Had to cancel our weekend in Monmouthshire as both of us not feeling great, Jill gone down with a heavy cold. Probably a blessing in disguise I didn't acquire a ticket, was thinking about going in the Cardiff end but with Jill feeling poorly made our decision an easy one!
John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:24 am
Was thrilled to see that Trump had instituted a travel ban from Europe, but then I found out it doesn't include the UK.
Now I have to go home.
Damn.
If we have to play in front of an empty stadium, we should play the U-23s. They're used to it.
Leeds win, whether there are fans in the stadium or not. Kalvin is back, and we are on form.
Peter in Blackpool wrote: ↑Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:31 am
bugger, i have sky sports, but on talktalk and therefore have no access to the red button
Same here.
See you here in Sunday then
' "Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa