General Chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: General Chat

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:32 pm I actually suffer from depression and it's comments like this above that don't help and seemingly make it so trivial to you.

Have you ever actually suffered from depression and thought of taking your own life ?
Lots of people get depressed about sport. It’s perfectly normal. If LSD helps then I’m all for it.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jaydog wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:38 pm Lots of people get depressed about sport. It’s perfectly normal. If LSD helps then I’m all for it.
Depressed in what way and for how long, minutes, days, weeks or months ?

Leeds get beat on a Saturday and i'm pissed off for an hour or two.

Since the age of 7 when my father was killed at work and my sixpence wasn't there the next day that he always left for me to go to school with, i was depressed for a bit longer ?

Varying levels of depression you see.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:46 pm Depressed in what way and for how long, minutes, days, weeks or months ?

Leeds get beat on a Saturday and i'm pissed off for an hour or two.

Since the age of 7 when my father was killed at work and my sixpence wasn't there the next day that he always left for me to go to school with, i was depressed for a bit longer ?

Varying levels of depression you see.
Not sure where we’re going with this but yes I agree varying levels. The lady down the road lost her husband. Only 59. Same time as my dog died. Which is more important. Varying levels but I wouldn’t distinguish between them in terms of importance
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

SaraM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:22 pm English with a pork pie, American with a hot dog imo.

I agree.

English mustard for Roast Beef, Pork, and Turkey.
American mustard for Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:32 pm Have you ever actually suffered from depression and thought of taking your own life ?
Yup from an early age, due to bereavement and undiagnosed ASD, amongst other things. . I've directed most of my life efforts to trying to work it out; training in psychoanalysis, studying philosophy, practising various forms of spirituality. It's all helped in various ways. Finding out I'm autistic has helped to make sense of a lot of it too.

It's tough, but it doesn't have to be a life sentence. I still struggle with some things, but I wouldn't say I've been properly depressed since my late 30s now. The one thing I've never done is take prescription meds. Seen too many people get hooked, and lose their ability to function emotionally.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Rook wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:59 pm I agree.

English mustard for Roast Beef, Pork, and Turkey.
American mustard for Hamburgers and Hot Dogs.
:tup:
hector

Post by hector »

I had a complete breakdown in my 40's, was diagnosed as PTSD, was on antidepressants for years...

I refer to them as my wibble years now....
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:05 pm Yup from an early age, due to bereavement and undiagnosed ASD, amongst other things. . I've directed most of my life efforts to trying to work it out; training in psychoanalysis, studying philosophy, practising various forms of spirituality. It's all helped in various ways. Finding out I'm autistic has helped to make sense of a lot of it too.

It's tough, but it doesn't have to be a life sentence. I still struggle with some things, but I wouldn't say I've been properly depressed since my late 30s now. The one thing I've never done is take prescription meds. Seen too many people get hooked, and lose their ability to function emotionally.
ASD = what ?

Aspergers ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

hector wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:10 pm I had a complete breakdown in my 40's, was diagnosed as PTSD, was on antidepressants for years...

I refer to them as my wibble years now....
PTSD from what ?

I've come close thinking back, but never actually had a complete nervous breakdown, that is unless i've actually managed it and got through it without it breaking me

;@)
hector

Post by hector »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:25 pm PTSD from what ?

I've come close thinking back, but never actually had a complete nervous breakdown, that is unless i've actually managed it and got through it without it breaking me
being in and fighting in 17 war zones
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:22 pm ASD = what ?

Aspergers ?
Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:05 pm Yup from an early age, due to bereavement and undiagnosed ASD, amongst other things. . I've directed most of my life efforts to trying to work it out; training in psychoanalysis, studying philosophy, practising various forms of spirituality. It's all helped in various ways. Finding out I'm autistic has helped to make sense of a lot of it too.

Jeez i could talk to you.

Just see if you can fathom any of this out, and these are just bullet points that spring to mind first, there's other stuff.

My father died aged 7.
I can't remember this but my mum and Aunt told me i didn't talk for 1 year.
I remember the first time in school aged about 12 that the teacher was describing schizophrenia and i thought 'fck me that's me' (multiple personalities)
My Grandad used to shout ( i'm pretty sure now it was Tourettes but not known then)
My other Grandad committed suicide aged 48 ( I didn't know him)
I've always had periods in my life where i've contemplated suicide and how i would do it.
My daughter had trouble all her life with 'stuff' she took her own life aged 32
My son now aged 31 i can tell is struggling like fck and has been diagnosed with adult adhd

If i had to guess myself i'd honestly say we've got a little bit of everything.....like 5% ADHD...10% Schzchizo...10% Tourettes...10% Aspergers etc etc....but nothing full blown, so hard to identify......in a nutshell...i definitely don't feel 'normal' ( like 64 'normal' if you will)

I think 85% of the 'normal' people these days conform with society, but 15% don't.

I once plucked up the courage to tell my Dr and he sent me to a shrink ..... she said i was a complicated case....(as if i didn't know)

Anyway, have a think about that, i'm 58 and couldn't give a flying fck if i died tomorrow, i think it would be a release if i'm honest if that makes sense at all.

;@)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

hector wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:36 pm being in and fighting in 17 war zones
All at once? Bet that was stressful tbf.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Hey, sorry to use you as the agony aunt but you did start the thread.

I'd totally accept....' just take 2 aspirin'...... if you can't be arsed.

;@)
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Which part of Liverpool, Toxteth ?

;@)
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm Jeez i could talk to you.

Just see if you can fathom any of this out, and these are just bullet points that spring to mind first, there's other stuff.

My father died aged 7.
I can't remember this but my mum and Aunt told me i didn't talk for 1 year.
I remember the first time in school aged about 12 that the teacher was describing schizophrenia and i thought 'fck me that's me' (multiple personalities)
My Grandad used to shout ( i'm pretty sure now it was Tourettes but not known then)
My other Grandad committed suicide aged 48 ( I didn't know him)
I've always had periods in my life where i've contemplated suicide and how i would do it.
My daughter had trouble all her life with 'stuff' she took her own life aged 32
My son now aged 31 i can tell is struggling like fck and has been diagnosed with adult adhd

If i had to guess myself i'd honestly say we've got a little bit of everything.....like 5% ADHD...10% Schzchizo...10% Tourettes...10% Aspergers etc etc....but nothing full blown, so hard to identify......in a nutshell...i definitely don't feel 'normal' ( like 64 'normal' if you will)

I think 85% of the 'normal' people these days conform with society, but 15% don't.

I once plucked up the courage to tell my Dr and he sent me to a shrink ..... she said i was a complicated case....(as if i didn't know)

Anyway, have a think about that, i'm 58 and couldn't give a flying fck if i died tomorrow, i think it would be a release if i'm honest if that makes sense at all.
Sorry to hear about your daughter, and your other difficulties, Kenny. As your shrink said, it sounds like a complexity of issues. No one is better placed to understand it and make sense of it than you, though. Having the intent to seek self-knowledge seems to me the one essential thing.

I was lucky in a way; I was sent to a shrink when I was 17, and I realised there and then that he didn't understand me in the slightest, and had nothing to offer, so I was on my own. I have had support and help from many people along the way, but it's always been my journey.

The killer is despair, born of meaninglessness. We have to somehow work out the meaning of our own existence, in a way that makes sense to us. I honestly think that this is the only way to 'cure' such troubles of the soul. Drugs and treatments won't do it.

Life is worth living, and each person's being in the world is of infinite worth. Unfortunately, we live in a society that teaches us the opposite, that treats us and values us only as cogs in an economic machine. Better to sit in the woods, with your arse on the ground and your back against a tree, and find your place in the natural world imo.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

“64 normal”. None of us have lived each other’s lives. There is no normal.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:30 pm Sorry to hear about your daughter, and your other difficulties, Kenny. As your shrink said, it sounds like a complexity of issues. No one is better placed to understand it and make sense of it than you, though. Having the intent to seek self-knowledge seems to me the one essential thing.

I was lucky in a way; I was sent to a shrink when I was 17, and I realised there and then that he didn't understand me in the slightest, and had nothing to offer, so I was on my own. I have had support and help from many people along the way, but it's always been my journey.

The killer is despair, born of meaninglessness. We have to somehow work out the meaning of our own existence, in a way that makes sense to us. I honestly think that this is the only way to 'cure' such troubles of the soul. Drugs and treatments won't do it.

Life is worth living, and each person's being in the world is of infinite worth. Unfortunately, we live in a society that teaches us the opposite, that treats us and values us only as cogs in an economic machine. Better to sit in the woods, with your arse on the ground and your back against a tree, and find your place in the natural world imo.
I knew it would work and now i'm absolutely convinced.

You and Weasel should get married.

;@)
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

You are a hero.....never forget that...
velo
Manager
Manager

Post by velo »

whiteswan wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:43 pm You are a hero.....never forget that...
Totally agree Swannie, the armed forces don't get the praise they deserve
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods