Sober for October

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
velo
Manager
Manager

Sober for October

Post by velo »

I'll be doing this again, for health benefits, and tbh financial too in todays climate.
Anyone else doing it?
I won't be donating any money to charity, because of the way they are run, just my opinion
Stop worryin' about what people say, when it ain't gonna stop them anyway.

Hater of Liars, Cheats and Trolls

Freedom of speech is not allowed if it upsets the mods
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Sober for October

Post by 1964white »

Spend my life sober as I only drink alcohol in moderation.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Family do’s and watching Leeds, otherwise I don’t bother much anymore.
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

velo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:03 pm I'll be doing this again, for health benefits, and tbh financial too in todays climate.
Anyone else doing it?
I won't be donating any money to charity, because of the way they are run, just my opinion

Nope. Not me. :)
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Never done any of these no drinking things. Dry January, f**k that. January is easily the most depressing month of the year as it is. I do drink in moderation these days though as I don’t do hangovers. Feel weird for days if I do.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'm another one whose drinking habits have changed considerably since the lockdowns. As a social pub drinker, mainly, I've gone from a regular four or five nights a week spending most of the evening drinking, to once or twice a fortnight popping in for a couple.

It's saving me a fair bit, and is no doubt better for my health as I'm getting older. Don't think I'd ever be one for total abstention though.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I only drink in moderation anyway so I see no need to do sober October or dry January for the matter.

Agree on the Charities comment velo, especially the bigger ones. The Charity bosses pay themselves far too much and money is wasted hand over fist, consequently only a small percentage of donated monies finds its way to the actual cause.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Charities are just self serving, pocket lining businesses, like everything else in our thoroughly corrupt system.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Yeah just Google a list of CEO salaries from any well known charity. Tells its own story
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

Read somewhere that only 20% of charity shop takings actually get to reach intended cause. Scam.
As for sober for october, I haven't touched a drop in 21 years. Wouldn't mind a couple of cans tbh.
Broad Ford
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Broad Ford »

Guineas, whisky & gin for October. 🤪

Gotta somehow fill those dark evenings with something, tho moderation is key to a clear head at work.

Future wise I don't know after every single pub from my childhood area shut down. After moving a couple of miles further down the road the pubs there are still open and serving food and ale, but for how long?
Hey you, out there on the road
Always doing what you're told
Can you help me?
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

velo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:03 pm I'll be doing this again, for health benefits, and tbh financial too in todays climate.
Anyone else doing it?
Nope!

I enjoy my couple of glasses of Savignon Blanc around 10.00 of an evening....

A malt nightcap if I feel like it

I'm not a daytime drinker, never have been, it really doesn't interest me...... unless I'm invited to an afternoon party where it would be rude of me not to of course :)
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:34 pm Nope!

I enjoy my couple of glasses of Savignon Blanc around 10.00 of an evening....

A malt nightcap if I feel like it

I'm not a daytime drinker, never have been, it really doesn't interest me...... unless I'm invited to an afternoon party where it would be rude of me not to of course :)
Is this the sort of malt nightcap you use Swannie
9D2BB0AC-543B-432A-88F3-D4E1C20827C1.png
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Sod that with all the s**t that's going on in the world
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:14 pm Sod that with all the s**t that's going on in the world
Exactly!
60sUnited
First Team
First Team

Post by 60sUnited »

Very rarely go to a pub these days, too expensive when you van pick up say 4 pints of 1664 for £5.50 from supermarkets...that would be £20 plus in a pub. I usually have a few beers/lagers Wednesday and Saturdays but this did creep up to 4 nights during the madness....to be honest I could quite easily drink every evening but have to control it as it just piles the weight on !!
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

I enjoy a beer at the weekend but stay off it on week days, works for me.

When it comes to the salaries of the CEO’s, I think we have found something we all agree on.
There Is Only One United.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Broad Ford wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:07 pm Guineas, whisky & gin for October. 🤪
6AB59ED5-E2D4-4DCE-99DB-4B98E8A70E6A.jpeg
billysboots
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by billysboots »

60sUnited wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:21 am Very rarely go to a pub these days, too expensive when you van pick up say 4 pints of 1664 for £5.50 from supermarkets...that would be £20 plus in a pub. I usually have a few beers/lagers Wednesday and Saturdays but this did creep up to 4 nights during the madness....to be honest I could quite easily drink every evening but have to control it as it just piles the weight on !!
Too expensive but I still love drinking in a pub if I can manage it now and then.
There Is Only One United.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

60sUnited wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:21 am Very rarely go to a pub these days, too expensive when you van pick up say 4 pints of 1664 for £5.50 from supermarkets...that would be £20 plus in a pub. I usually have a few beers/lagers Wednesday and Saturdays but this did creep up to 4 nights during the madness....to be honest I could quite easily drink every evening but have to control it as it just piles the weight on !!
The pub is a great (and famous worldwide) British institution. There is no doubt that the traditional British pub is an endangered species and the fact that Supermarkets are able to sell booze so cheaply has been a major contributing factor. I believe that It would be a great shame if this marvellous institution were to be confined to history so we tend to try and support our wonderful local as much as we can and would urge people to do the same. The way I see it is that it’s a case of use them or lose them.