The player polls - The "Striker"

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.

Who starts striker

Poll ended at Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:50 am

Rodrigo
8%
Patrick Bamford
75%
Joe Gelhardt
13%
Wilfrid Gnonto
No votes
Sonny Perkins
4%
Mateo Joseph Fernandez
No votes

Total votes: 24

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

The player polls - The "Striker"

Post by The Subhuman »

Or False nine or forward or just the plain #9

This should be tough with Rodrigo starting the season fast, Paddy returning to fitness and banging in an U23 hat trick, plus the exciting Joe Gelhardt and then the youth - Gnonto who's already started for Italy, Fernandez with 8 in 5 for the 21's, Perkins 7 in 6 for the 21's and 5 in 3 for the England nineteens
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The player polls - The "Striker"

Post by 1964white »

Right now, Paddy for me.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Should be tough. But no one is close to Bamford right now
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Trickiest one for me at the moment.

Rodrigo has started well this season and we’re only now perhaps seeing what persuaded us to pay a record fee for. He’s not really done anything wrong, to be dropped and is imo a confidence player. It does him no good dipping in and out.

Bamford, I find somewhat frustrating. There’s no doubt he gets through an enormous amount of work on the pitch, unlike Rodrigo (who at times looks like he can’t be bothered) and you can’t fault his attitude. However, more often than we’d all like he fluffs chances your granny could score………but on other occasions (Villa away a couple of seasons ago) he can score a worldy.

Joffy, I don’t think is quite there yet, but the problem is when do you give him the chance of a run 🤔

Too early for the others.

Bit a flip of the coin I’d admit, but at the moment I’d stick with Rodrigo.
Finnatic
Manager
Manager

Post by Finnatic »

Bamford over Rodrigo if only for his extra work rate even if things aren’t going his way.
They are both hit and miss but if Rodrigo keeps scoring I’m not complaining if he’s the nine.
He looks better under Marsch than MB.
There is an argument that Marsch is playing him in his best position but under MB he said that he didn’t see himself as an out and out nine (unless he didn’t like being one in a Bielsa team - it’s hard work)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Tricky one this, there’s no doubt that Bamford gives you the extra work rate but isn’t as clinical as probably any of the others. As it stands though I think this team needs that additional work rate from its striker so I’d stick with Bamford, but still good to know we have a multitude of options and that the future is bright for this position.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 am Trickiest one for me at the moment.

Rodrigo has started well this season and we’re only now perhaps seeing what persuaded us to pay a record fee for. He’s not really done anything wrong, to be dropped and is imo a confidence player. It does him no good dipping in and out.

Bamford, I find somewhat frustrating. There’s no doubt he gets through an enormous amount of work on the pitch, unlike Rodrigo (who at times looks like he can’t be bothered) and you can’t fault his attitude. However, more often than we’d all like he fluffs chances your granny could score………but on other occasions (Villa away a couple of seasons ago) he can score a worldy.

Joffy, I don’t think is quite there yet, but the problem is when do you give him the chance of a run 🤔

Too early for the others.

Bit a flip of the coin I’d admit, but at the moment I’d stick with Rodrigo.
Giving Rodders the armband has seen him, for me, much more engaged, I also think it's helped Raph has moved on, toughest one for me and you could start Rodrigo on the right where he was effective start of the season for a game and a half. This was a toss up for me and I did expect a much closer vote, but maybe the 2 season antipathy toward Rodrigo from fans versus the hero worship of Paddy has tipped the scales in Paddy's favour.
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Not easy.

Bamford is having to be managed and has been for a long time.

That is always a red flag, when players start having to have there training managed it rarely ever stops and it shows how Fragile his fitness is.

He is also miles off sharp as we saw vs Brentford.

Rodrigo has had a decent start but years down the line is he likely to show the consistency we need? No.

Gelhardt is still very young and it might be to soon to make him the main man yet.

Gnonto the same and frankly having watched him play as a striker for Italy the other night, he is nowhere near ready for a starting spot.

Perkins and Fernandez are playing well in the 2nd division of u21 football (need to remember it is 2nd division). The step up to the Premier League is massive.

Soo it's not easy.

I'd go Gelhardt.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

I chose Bamford but I’m not really sure why.
It would have been Rodders without the injury as he was in good scoring form.
I’d probably change my mind now tbh.
Why not Perkins. His confidence must be sky high even if it is at a much lower level. Would like to see him on the bench. How do you know he can’t bridge the gap if he isn’t there
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Perkins looks like the most complete striker at the club imo, just from watching him play, which hasn't been often. He will score a lot for some lucky prem team, just hope it's us.. Bamford gets by on guile and experience and tbh, looks a better player now he's at the Jesse Marsch finishing school. Bielsa built him but Marsch is polishing him (no lascivious comments please,) the runs are more intelligent, he now looks to get in front of the defender rather than tuck in behind, he's using his body better

Gnonto is a ten for me, second striker, same as Rodrigo and Joffy which is why the latter two also appear in the AMF poll

Fernandez is the wild card, but looks to be a 9
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Tough call like others have said.

I voted for Paddy but I’m not convinced he’ll get near his form of two seasons ago, but I want to see how he has recovered.

Was a big fan of Joffy initially but I’m starting to have a nagging doubt, especially as an out and out 9.

Love to see Perkins on the bench. We won’t know he’s ready unless we play him. I’d prefer a few impact subs now rather than having to throw him in if we are struck down again with injuries.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

I finally broke down and purchased the LUTV pass yesterday. So I was able to watch the U21's for the first time. There is definitely young talent in the club. But the level of play is miles away from the Premier League. So you can rule out the two 18 year olds Perkins and Joseph as viable starters for the senior team this season. Which leaves Bamford, Rodrigo, Gelhardt, and Gnonto in that order for me.
Football/Futbol/Soccer