Newcastle United Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Locked
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155472
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle United Thread

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:48 am For a massive tournament like the World Cup you need players who are in form and high on confidence so imo he should be in the squad.
Indeed Chilli :tup:

Pointless taking someone like Kalvin out of loyalty whom has hardly played this season.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

Hey look at that, Wilson and Rodrigo have both got 6 goals in almost the exact same playing time... and we're praising one while not praising the other ...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155472
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:37 am Hey look at that, Wilson and Rodrigo have both got 6 goals in almost the exact same playing time... and we're praising one while not praising the other ...
Good point.

I hadn't realised how many minutes Wilson had played, he has missed four of Newcastle's 13 games through injury

Rodrigo has missed two of our twelve games, but seems to be playing half a match of late.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41786
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Cjay »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:37 am Hey look at that, Wilson and Rodrigo have both got 6 goals in almost the exact same playing time... and we're praising one while not praising the other ...
He got credit for his goals but his all round game doesn't deserve praise (hence never on motm board).

Whereas with Wilson because I imagine most on here don't watch a lot of Newcastle they can only judge his goals.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8800
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Chilli D »

My Geordie mate reckons Newcastle are a much better team with him in it regardless of whether he scores or not.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by mentalcase »

I watch a lot of Newcastle games, they play good attractive football, they have a good manager, they have stuck with some of their talent despite injury and got rid of the dross.
Callum Wilson won't be bullied by anyone.
Also would add, in form players, not, has beens are the key to tournaments, Kane, Wilson and Rashford will go.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:20 am As Leeds should have done on a smaller scale.
Much smaller scale

They've signed players like

Bruno Guimares at 24 but paid £40m
Aleksander Isak at 21 but paid £50m-plus

The kind of transfers I could only wish we were in the market for. They remind me of the O'Leary era transfers, The difference is that they have the financial backing to back it up.
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by mentalcase »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:06 pm Much smaller scale

They've signed players like

Bruno Guimares at 24 but paid £40m
Aleksander Isak at 21 but paid £50m-plus

The kind of transfers I could only wish we were in the market for. They remind me of the O'Leary era transfers, The difference is that they have the financial backing to back it up.
Yea, we simply cannot compete with a club with that sort of financial clout, mid table is the best we can hope for, and I'd be happy with that, beating a top 6 side every so often.
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155472
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by 1964white »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:06 pm Much smaller scale

They've signed players like

Bruno Guimares at 24 but paid £40m
Aleksander Isak at 21 but paid £50m-plus

The kind of transfers I could only wish we were in the market for. They remind me of the O'Leary era transfers, The difference is that they have the financial backing to back it up.
We won't ever spend at Waitrose, more like Lidl.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:12 pm We won't ever spend at Waitrose, more like Lidl.
You're calling Adams/Kristensen/Roca and Sinisterra Lidl prices ?
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Jaydog »

Tyler Roberts is Lidl.
Those boys are definitely from the posh shop
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:11 pm Tyler Roberts is Lidl.
Those boys are definitely from the posh shop
Tyler Roberts is Tesco, we don't have any Lidl. Not sure why we're slagging off Lidl tbh, good quality food at low prices must be key for a lot of people in these times..
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:13 pm Tyler Roberts is Tesco, we don't have any Lidl. Not sure why we're slagging off Lidl tbh, good quality food at low prices must be key for a lot of people in these times..
TedTesco?
I won’t get in to a supermarket argument with you but it’s a complete myth that they’re cheaper on a like for like basis. Like my mate used to say “I get 5 times the ham that you do for a fifth of the money”. It’s not ham as it should be. They just scrape stuff off the floor, mould it and slice it and sell it in Aldi & Lidl.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:17 pm TedTesco?
I won’t get in to a supermarket argument with you but it’s a complete myth that they’re cheaper on a like for like basis. Like my mate used to say “I get 5 times the ham that you do for a fifth of the money”. It’s not ham as it should be. They just scrape stuff off the floor, mould it and slice it and sell it in Aldi & Lidl.
It's basic food but it's decent quality.. Some very good wines though
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:19 pm It's basic food but it's decent quality.. Some very good wines though
No & no. Not for me.
I’m a wine geek. Supermarkets rarely figure in my wine buying exploits.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:22 pm No & no. Not for me.
I’m a wine geek. Supermarkets rarely figure in my wine buying exploits.
The Aldi Cairanne I'm told is sublime and that's from wine geeks too. My snobbery resides in music, wine I'll drink any s**t
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:26 pm The Aldi Cairanne I'm told is sublime and that's from wine geeks too. My snobbery resides in music, wine I'll drink any s**t
Aldi used to do a Cremant de Jura (fizz) that was a cracker.
But I’m too far down the road to go back. I’m a proper wine nerd. Anyone interested in wine should join the Wine Society. Pricing is ridiculously low. Service is second to none. And they cater for all levels of interest.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:31 pm Aldi used to do a Cremant de Jura (fizz) that was a cracker.
But I’m too far down the road to go back. I’m a proper wine nerd. Anyone interested in wine should join the Wine Society. Pricing is ridiculously low. Service is second to none. And they cater for all levels of interest.
My niece works in the wine trade, wine as investment. Her office overlooks tower bridge..

That's the rich half, my sisters half of the family. I'm the poor half
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21212
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by Jaydog »

faaip wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:35 pm My niece works in the wine trade, wine as investment. Her office overlooks tower bridge..

That's the rich half, my sisters half of the family. I'm the poor half
I only buy to drink but a friend of a friend bought a lot of Burgundy & Bordeaux back in the day and has made a small fortune. £1000 ish a case then and now upwards of 50k. Interesting job though, your niece.
Moneys not everything.
“Can’t buy happiness but you can choose your own form of misery”.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79211
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Newcastle United Thread - Is Callum Wilson Qatar bound?

Post by The Subhuman »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:46 pm I only buy to drink but a friend of a friend bought a lot of Burgundy & Bordeaux back in the day and has made a small fortune. £1000 ish a case then and now upwards of 50k. Interesting job though, your niece.
Moneys not everything.
“Can’t buy happiness but you can choose your own form of misery”.
Brother in law is a millionaire. TBF he helps out the family a lot.... But he's already got 14 holidays planned for next year (including his Nürburgring race days... and my last one was in 2015. Really need a holiday
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Locked