FA Cup 3rd Round

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Re: FA Cup 3rd Round

Post by whiteswan »

I dislike Cardiff immensely :x

For various reasons....Hammam, Ridsdale, and the cup game we lost to them when Ferdinand was deliberately taken out by a Cardiff player by scrolling his studs down Ferdinands Achilles.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:04 pm I was at that one ---- SCARY :shock:
As was I, 64...a somewhat 'lively' atmosphere it must be said ;-)
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I had hoped the days of playing Millwall and Cardiff were over. :roll: Well that's our cup run done for the year, makes throwing the Carabao Cup look even sillier. Judging by the ties, it looks like we won't be embarrassed on TV, but the police will probably move it to 12.45.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SG90 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:58 pm I had hoped the days of playing Millwall and Cardiff were over. :roll: Well that's our cup run done for the year, makes throwing the Carabao Cup look even sillier. Judging by the ties, it looks like we won't be embarrassed on TV, but the police will probably move it to 12.45.
A team of cloggers!
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

At least we won't be on the TV ( I don't think ) for our usual national embarassment
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

I was hoping for a cup run..........then i saw we were drawn against Cardiff.

Oh well, maybe next year.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 pm As was I, 64...a somewhat 'lively' atmosphere it must be said ;-)
One of our members, a pensioner & her disabled son, were attacked by a police dog as they attempted to board our coach after the game. Horrible atmosphere inside & outside the ground :x
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:59 pm A team of cloggers!
I wouldn't risk our best players against that horrible lot, Swannie
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:48 am I was hoping for a cup run..........then i saw we were drawn against Cardiff.

Until we get an ambitious board, cup runs won't exist.
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

Rook wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:48 am I was hoping for a cup run..........then i saw we were drawn against Cardiff.

We have to be beating a team sitting 19th in the Championship, even if it's in their back yard. They are heading for League 1.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:34 pm My concerns are if these players are missing :

Adams - We witnessed how much we missed Tyler against Fulham as their midfield ran us ragged, we have no one who comes close to his quality as a DM, our midfield was turgid.

Koch - We've seen the calamity brings to our defence when Llorente is in the middle of it.7

Struijk - We haven't got a left-back.

Rodrigo - we haven't had a No.9 replacement for a season & a half, Paddy may never come back as the same player. Without Rodders goals, we'd be in the bottom three. Unsure where the goals are coming from if he is unavailable.

Kristensen - Ayling was average vs Fulham when he replaced Rasmas, defensively we were a shambles. Luke came on at Spurs & ambled around the box as if he didn't know what to do. Drameh is not ready yet imo.

Summerville - His four goals in four games has been a bonus for us. We have Sinisterra when he's not injured, but Luis seems to play much deeper.
Adams: Against Fulham the manager opted to play an attacking midfielder instead of a more like to like change (such as Gyabi) for Adams. I would say we looked open due to the manager possibly underestimating Fulham and going more attacking.

Koch: I think we'd be fine with Llorente coming in for Koch as he would be on his preferred side. The Cooper & Llorente partnership worked well 2 seasons ago. I just don't think Koch and Llorente work well as a pair.

Struyjk: We have Firpo presently fit (well maybe), and also Hjelde now fit again. I also think in an emergency we could use Drameh or Ayling there, not ideal but not a disaster.

Rodrigo: Okay he has been on fire goals wise but we also know he can be streaky and go several games without a goal. On present form would be a huge loss but it would also give a chance for one of the youngsters to step up and take their chance. Hopefully the world cup rest has come at a good time for Bamford too.

Kristiansen: I think it is harsh to judge Ayling against Fulham given it was his first game back and we were shambolic due to not having a defensive midfielder. I have gone into great length detailing how our lack of a sitting midfielder, who reads the play, is hampering our defence. Similarly against Spurs Ayling was brought on to be part of a 5 man defence and as it isn't something we ever start with it is hard to really know where he should be. As such he was likely simply chasing the ball and reacting, like our grand masterplan. Given a run in the team we know Ayling is good enough and Drameh performed well in the championship so likely given a good run of games he would be okay. I'm not particularly impressed by RK defensively although going forward he does put some good crosses in.

Summerville: Wingers can be streaky in terms of goals so just as easily he could go 20 matches without a goal, or Harrison could come in and hit a purple patch, or Gnonto and hopefully Sinisterra will also be back too.

I think if we had a lot of injuries at the same time we'd struggle and this is despite having a stronger squad than last season when we erm struggled when we had a lot of injuries - oh sorry no we struggled due to previous manager.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

weasel wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:43 pm Adams: Against Fulham the manager opted to play an attacking midfielder instead of a more like to like change (such as Gyabi) for Adams. I would say we looked open due to the manager possibly underestimating Fulham and going more attacking.

Koch: I think we'd be fine with Llorente coming in for Koch as he would be on his preferred side. The Cooper & Llorente partnership worked well 2 seasons ago. I just don't think Koch and Llorente work well as a pair.

Struyjk: We have Firpo presently fit (well maybe), and also Hjelde now fit again. I also think in an emergency we could use Drameh or Ayling there, not ideal but not a disaster.

Rodrigo: Okay he has been on fire goals wise but we also know he can be streaky and go several games without a goal. On present form would be a huge loss but it would also give a chance for one of the youngsters to step up and take their chance. Hopefully the world cup rest has come at a good time for Bamford too.

Kristiansen: I think it is harsh to judge Ayling against Fulham given it was his first game back and we were shambolic due to not having a defensive midfielder. I have gone into great length detailing how our lack of a sitting midfielder, who reads the play, is hampering our defence. Similarly against Spurs Ayling was brought on to be part of a 5 man defence and as it isn't something we ever start with it is hard to really know where he should be. As such he was likely simply chasing the ball and reacting, like our grand masterplan. Given a run in the team we know Ayling is good enough and Drameh performed well in the championship so likely given a good run of games he would be okay. I'm not particularly impressed by RK defensively although going forward he does put some good crosses in.

Summerville: Wingers can be streaky in terms of goals so just as easily he could go 20 matches without a goal, or Harrison could come in and hit a purple patch, or Gnonto and hopefully Sinisterra will also be back too.

I think if we had a lot of injuries at the same time we'd struggle and this is despite having a stronger squad than last season when we erm struggled when we had a lot of injuries - oh sorry no we struggled due to previous manager.
Gyabi struggled in the EFL trophy and v Wolves, so why so many of our fans think he should be starting in the PL is beyond me. Midfield is the hardest position in the league to play.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:18 am Until we get an ambitious board, cup runs won't exist.
291M Euro in players in since promotion Leon.

Brought in Bielsa and bought into his way of doing things

Hardly unambitious.

What would you say ambitious looks like and how are you going to pay for it?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Irish Ian wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:53 pm 291M Euro in players in since promotion Leon.

Brought in Bielsa and bought into his way of doing things

Hardly unambitious.

What would you say ambitious looks like and how are you going to pay for it?
So how do you explain our early exit's in the cups, then?

We more or less achieved 9th position in our first season back in the prem with our championship team.

Since we have spent nearly £300m, we just survived a relegation battle with another possible one on the horizon, it's not about the money spent, it's the type of players we bring in. We have about eight consistent players in our whole squad, with a mix of ageing/young inconstant types behind our best bunch.

For years, our coaches have not been in a position to field strong teams in the cups because of the fragility of our squads, until we have a more solid look as opposed to a disjointed one within our squad ranks, our atrocious cup runs will continue.

Btw, every Premier League club has more than one No.9, DM, attacking central midfielder & left-back in their squads, where is our back-ups?
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:22 pm So how do you explain our early exit's in the cups, then?

We more or less achieved 9th position in our first season back in the prem with our championship team.

Since we have spent nearly £300m, we just survived a relegation battle with another possible one on the horizon, it's not about the money spent, it's the type of players we bring in. We have about eight consistent players in our whole squad, with a mix of ageing/young inconstant types behind our best bunch.

For years, our coaches have not been in a position to field strong teams in the cups because of the fragility of our squads, until we have a more solid look as opposed to a disjointed one within our squad ranks, our atrocious cup runs will continue.

Btw, every Premier League club has more than one No.9, DM, attacking central midfielder & left-back in their squads, where is our back-ups?
Because we're obsessed with buying players to play in the u21s league rather than improve the first team. I don't mind buying 4-5, 60 odd players is a joke.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:45 pm Gyabi struggled in the EFL trophy and v Wolves, so why so many of our fans think he should be starting in the PL is beyond me. Midfield is the hardest position in the league to play.
Of course, he did. Gyabi wasn't playing against schoolboys half his size, he faced a Wolves side with a hardened tough, Premier League midfield.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:29 pm Of course, he did. Gyabi wasn't playing against schoolboys half his size, he faced a Wolves side with a hardened tough, Premier League midfield.
He needs a loan to League One like Lewis Bate. That will toughen him up, not coasting against kids.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SG90 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:26 pm Because we're obsessed with buying players to play in the u21s league rather than improve the first team. I don't mind buying 4-5, 60 odd players is a joke.
That obsession may come back to hurt us if we continue with that trend in the January window.

A blind man can see we are short in certain positions.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see young players coming through, but the balance has to be right, which is clearly not the case right now.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Pullhard wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:51 am We have to be beating a team sitting 19th in the Championship, even if it's in their back yard. They are heading for League 1.
So why have we failed so many times against championship, L1, L2 & even non-league opposition?

The side we put out vs Wolves was as inexperienced as the one we fielded at Sutton, my god I was angry that day, a sheer waste of time, effort & expense for me, not a pleasant experience I'd wish on anyone.

Btw Cooper (red carded) & Dallas played in that game, three of the line-up, I'd never heard of :(
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:29 pm Of course, he did. Gyabi wasn't playing against schoolboys half his size, he faced a Wolves side with a hardened tough, Premier League midfield.
He was also playing in a cobbled together side with a few players he had likely never played with before. Might also have been a bit nervous. Also playing ina different tactical way to how our U21s play - not everyone's game is about chasing the ball like kids in a playground.