The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 2nd December) - Leeds locked in race to sign Serbian Midfielder

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 2nd December) - Leeds locked in race to sign Serbian Midfielder

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 2nd December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds locked in race to sign Serbian Midfielder

Leeds are understood to be locked in a race with Jose Mourinho’s AS Roma to sign Serbian International Sasa Lukic. Leeds scouts have been watching the 26yo in action during the World Cup, and like what they see. He would certainly be an upgrade on Mateusz Klich and Adam Forshaw who are both expected to depart in the New Year, and add competition for places.

Lukic is strong on the ball, and does not give up possession needlessly. He has very good close ball control, and an eye for goal. With 18 months left on his contract, Torino value him at €15m (£13m), a fraction of the price of Weston McKennie or Christian Pulisic, who have also been linked with a January move to Elland Road.

Should Gelhardt go out on loan

Leeds have got some big decisions need to be made in the New Year, none more so important than to figure out what to do with Joe Gelhardt. It's not quite make or break time for the England youth striker, but at 2oyo, he is no longer a child prodigy that needs to be wrapped up in cotton wool.

Joffy has found life difficult in the past twelve months. Limited game time, and his fair share of injuries have hampered his recent progress, but with limited striking options available to Jesse Marsch, can Leeds afford to send him out on loan?

Cresswell set to stay at the Den

Charlie Cresswell is set to see out the second half of the season with Millwall. The 20 year old is loving life in South London, and with over 1000 minutes of game time under his belt, is fast maturing to be an invaluable asset to both Jesse Marsch and Gary Rowett. Cresswell currently tops the Whoscored charts for the Lions with a stunning 7.08 rating. His aerial ability (4.8) is head and shoulders above any player in Leeds ranks, yet the jury is still out whether he'll be ready for the Premier League by next season.

VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 2nd December)

Post by VinnysTattoo »

We’d have some team if a fraction of the rumours were true.

Gelhardt is a difficult one. I just don’t see him as a number 9. Love to see him stay and develop in the 10 position.

He’s got undoubted skill but will we make the best of it?
mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 2nd December)

Post by mentalcase »

Mornng all.
Sasa lukic, if he's an attacking midfielder rather than defensive one, maybe, what about the LB and striker we need.
JG , feel for Joffy, everyone has bigged him up, yet has been given limited game time for some reason, I know injuries haven't helped, but can't help thinking if bielsa had put him on more we may have seen his true potential rather than see tyler roberts get the limelight, to me, looks like we're going to lose Joe.
CC, another great potential, will we also lose out with Charlie as well, will we be daft enough to let him go elsewhere whilst we get in someone else and another top team take him away and develop him, hope not, I fully realise the gulf between PL and championship, but other clubs will be monitoring him and ready to pounce.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 2nd December) - Leeds locked in race to sign Serbian Midfielder

Post by Mountain »

Pulisic is supposed to be on £150k per week. I'd be surprised if Leeds go for him.

I think Joffy might be suffering from the usual confirmation bias amongst football fans. When someone isn't playing, fans say he's "definitely the next best thing ever and the manager is awful for not playing him". When he is playing, "he's just not up to it and should be sold".
8ballali
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 2nd December) - Leeds locked in race to sign Serbian Midfielder

Post by 8ballali »

Joffy is a cracking player, but he seems to be injured a lot. I'd keep him as an impact sub for now. His value will continue to increase in the meantime.
Love to get Lukic. I just hope we don't piss about this time. Just go in with a bid over their valuation, and get it done!
Winners never quit! Quitters never win!
(url=http://www.twitter.com/8ballali][/url)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I don’t know enough about Lukic to comment on his ability or suitability for us but; with Klich probably being away in January, Forshaw showing signs of complete decrepitude and seemingly no prospect of any decent midfield prospects coming through from the under 21s at the moment, then I suppose we need a replacement right enough.

The whole situation surrounding Joffy is a bit of a mystery to me. A player who has had universal praise at under 21 level and has been touted as the next “big thing” “the next Wayne Rooney” etc. and has shown some ability and dynamism during his limited 1st team appearances, appears not to have been trusted by Bielsa or be trusted by Marsch. It’s a strange one, but giving the boy 5 minutes of playing time at the arse end of games is not doing him or us any good whatsoever. If he needs more development then a loan is the only option.

Talking of loans it seems to have done Charlie the world of good. I just hope that the bright lights of a foreign country hasn’t turned his head and that he will be happy to return and play his football in England.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Was hoping it'd be Milinkovic-Savic haha, then I remembered the 3 stooges are running us.

Gelhardt needs a loan. He's not the player some of our fans think he is.

Disappointed about Cresswell. If Marsch doesn't trust Llorente, then it just weakens our options. What happens if Koch gets injured?
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

If Cresswell staying then hope there is a pull back clause in case of injuries. I also hope they bring him back in to the fold properly in the summer...he is going to be mega!

Lukic - sounds like a decent option assuming this rumour has substance.

Not sure why some think Gelhardt is not the real deal. We haven't seen enough of him, and he isn't given the chance.

Most important question right now...WHERE IS A LB UPGRADE COMING FROM?
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:12 am I don’t know enough about Lukic to comment on his ability or suitability for us but; with Klich probably being away in January, Forshaw showing signs of complete decrepitude and seemingly no prospect of any decent midfield prospects coming through from the under 21s at the moment, then I suppose we need a replacement right enough.

The whole situation surrounding Joffy is a bit of a mystery to me. A player who has had universal praise at under 21 level and has been touted as the next “big thing” “the next Wayne Rooney” etc. and has shown some ability and dynamism during his limited 1st team appearances, appears not to have been trusted by Bielsa or be trusted by Marsch. It’s a strange one, but giving the boy 5 minutes of playing time at the arse end of games is not doing him or us any good whatsoever. If he needs more development then a loan is the only option.

Talking of loans it seems to have done Charlie the world of good. I just hope that the bright lights of a foreign country hasn’t turned his head and that he will be happy to return and play his football in England.
click on link - watch on youtube
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Leeds locked in race to sign Serbian Midfielder.

If i knew all that was required to be a football scout was watched the WC i still wouldn't have tuned in.

Should Gelhardt go out on loan.

I have been one of this kids biggest admirers since he arrived on the scene. I love his instinctive play, his self belief & confidence... its just difficult to see where he fits into this current side. He looks lost up top on his own and he constantly wants to get involved by dropping deeper. I think he needs to play in a 2. He would benefit from a Naill Quinn type of strike partner. I would say send him out on loan but he's always injured.

Cresswell set to stay at the Den.

He needs a full season of playing FT football. He seems to be back in favour down at the den so long may that continue.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Sasa Lukic would be a nice addition to the squad. And I think he would quickly work his way into the starting eleven. I've watched him play a few times. My impression is that he is more of an attacking midfielder than a defensive mid. He could certainly compete with Marc Roca for that spot. But also could be used as a CAM in our 4-2-3-1 system. He is extremely versatile and could provide cover at multiple positions. And for around 15m Euros that's a lot of value.

I don't see Joe Gelhardt as a Premier League player. I see him as an MLS/Championship/Scottish Premier League level player. I know most of you don't share that opinion. It's just how I see it based on the limited body of work available. When I watch him play, the way he moves, his technical ability, reading of the game just don't pass the eye test. I don't know what we paid for him. But if we can make some money on the investment I would sell him in January. He needs to get on with his career.

With regard to Charlie Cresswell we should stay the course. He is performing well in the Championship with Milwall. He should finish the season there and then be given a real shot to win a job next summer.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Think Joffy should go out on loan. Best for him and club in long run. Depends if we sign anyone though. Right now we still need him as back up.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:12 am I don’t know enough about Lukic to comment on
His dad was a decent goalie.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Whit woooooo, 'Leeds are involved in a race'

It'll be the egg n spoon knowing our clown.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 am click on link - watch on youtube
Cheers Elland. Not sure what to make of the “best of” videos no player ever looks poor in them. As it happens he’ll be playing against Switzerland shortly - might just have a ganders.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Not particularly impressed with Lukic last night - wasn’t involved enough for me. Embolo the best player on the park with Tadic the pick of the Serbs.
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Ellandback1 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:46 pm
Quite happy for him to sit in the stands watching when we play City in a couple of weeks.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Clitheroe White wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:18 am If Cresswell staying then hope there is a pull back clause in case of injuries. I also hope they bring him back in to the fold properly in the summer...he is going to be mega!
A poor game for Cresswell today - played a big part with errors in the build up to 2 of Sunderland's3 goals.. Hopefully learning from his mistakes this season. I haven't seen anything from him to suggest he is anywhere near premiership starting quality.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Hjelde is a lot closer and tbh it's left sided CB's that we need. I'm good with Llorente backing up Koch ....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"