The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 5th December) Bamford undergoes surgery

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 5th December) Bamford undergoes surgery

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 5th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Bamford undergoes surgery

Patrick Bamford has been left out of the Leeds United training camp that travelled to Spain, and has instead made his way to Munich where he has undergone surgery on his troublesome groin. The injury plagued striker will be out of action for a further fortnight as long as everything goes to plan. Bamford has not completed 90 minutes of football since September 2021. Ironically, the last time he scored a goal was a year ago today, after coming off the bench to grab an injury time equaliser against Brentford, before re-injuring himself during his goal celebration.

Gokpo deal - we were 99.9% there

During a recent interview, Jesse Marsch revealed how just close Leeds were to signing Cody Gokpo. We knew Victor Orta had flown over to Eindhoven to meet with his Dutch counterparts, but we didn't know that he had met with Gokpo's family, and full personal terms had been agreed.

It's difficult for us at Leeds because I think Gokpo has gotten out of our price range. We were so close to securing a transfer for him in the Summer. It was so close, and now obviously it's disappointing. Our Sporting Director was in Holland, meeting with the family, we'd agreed on terms on everything, was talking with PSV. I mean we were 99.9%.

Little love lost - FA Cup tie between Leeds and Cardiff set for live broadcast

Leeds United's FA Cup clash with Cardiff City has been selected for live broadcast, and is set to kick off (in more ways than one) on Sunday 8th January at the Cardiff City Stadium. There's little love lost between the two sides over the years, none more so than the bad-tempered FA Cup encounter in 2002 when the Bluebirds recorded an unlikely victory over David O'Leary's side. The hostile atmosphere even spread to the benches.

Cardiff City (then) Chairman Sam Hammam had been berating the Leeds Manager all game. Things almost turned ugly, as O'Leary and Ridsdale were making their way back to the team bus. Hammam was in hot pursuit, and still intent on winding the former Republic of Ireland star up. O'Leary snapped, and went for Hamman, only for Ridsdale to drag him off. Earlier, Cardiff City fans then launched a pitch invasion upon the final whistle as emotions ran high and tempers began to fray. As we know, Leeds fans don't need a written invitation to join a party, and fighting broke out between the two sets of supporters.

Our unfathomable and spectacular fall from grace began when we travelled to play Cardiff in the FA Cup. David (O’Leary) had asked for the fixture to be switched from Ninian Park to the Millennium Stadium.

His request was declined but the manager set himself up for a fall when he quipped, ‘I’m disappointed. It would have proved excellent preparation for us if we go back there in May’. “Prior to the game, and in response to David’s taunts, Sam spoke about the Bluebirds being a bigger club than Leeds; a sleeping giant, and a club not intimidated by its Premiership rivals. In this psychological warfare, Sam’s mind games won out because we had a shocker of a match.

The atmosphere was already hostile in the ground when Sam intensified emotions with a walk around the edge of the pitch during play, rousing the Cardiff fans and goading the away support; an over-zealous mascot in a cashmere coat. It was an irresponsible thing to do and it led to violence in the stands as police dogs were brought in to restore order.

You can imagine how much Ninian Park went wild when Cardiff nicked the tie 2-1 with an 86th minute winner. David looked ashen in the dug-out, and you could tell he was seething over the shock defeat. As we traipsed out of the ground, crossing the tiny directors’ car park to the coach, which was parked in the main road directly outside the stadium to return us to the airport, Sam stood at the main entrance, still intent on chipping away at David. ‘I told you we were a bigger club!’ he shouted, clearly intending it for our ears.

David stopped in his tracks, simmering. ‘Well, you were right about one thing,’ Sam continued, laughing. ‘Your FA Cup started and finished in Cardiff’. “David went for him, rushing like a bull towards a red flag. Sam berated as David grabbed him by the lapels of his jacket. I dived in, dragging him away. Sam – who had it coming to him with all his provocation – still says to this day I stopped him from being punched. I’m not sure about that. All I was sure about was that our manager had lost his cool.

DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 5th December) Bamford undergoes surgery

Post by DDB220 »

The “we so nearly” reports are infuriating. Fact is we didn’t sign Gakpo for the same reason we didn’t sign Ben White we were not prepared to meet the valuation.
Personal terms mean nothing.

It sounds like an attempt by Leeds to say we tried etc etc - which does not bode well for the current window. I read on BBC sport gossip a day or so ago that we are looking at Chris wood. End of season loan might work - however what condition is he in ? and I expect Newcastle are probably keen to off load permanently.
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

Bamford never ending injury jinx strikes again. Probably finished as a EPL player. You did not sign Gakpo, whether it was 90% or 9%. I think as cover Chris Woods may be prudent. He will be in better shape than PB even if he has not been playing.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

As I recall Gakpo wanted to join a bigger club and wisely used the WC to put himself in the shop window.

That part has worked out for him.

Personally I am more excited by having Sini, Jimmy, Joffy and Willy (there is a joke in there somewhere) at the club

If we have money to spend we have a more urgent need for cover at Lwb and in the middle.

Oh and Bamford. Poor lad.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Can't see Bamford ever getting back to any decent action for us.

Feel sorry for him but never been a big fan. Can't help but think that if we'd had a regular scorer these past seasons we'd be in a far better place.

Club has mostly been hanging their hat on a striker that's had one great season, regardless who was manager. A terrible gamble in my eyes.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Bamford could still do a job at a club that doesn’t expect players to run at a high intensity all day. The requirements of the press in modern day football mean that it is virtually impossible to carry an injury, besides the level of fitness aspect, this type of relentless football will only continually aggravate any minor injuries a player is carrying and hoping to hide. The days of players like McGrath and Lesley King are well and truly gone.
I think Bamford was so desperate to play over the last year and give himself a chance at getting in the WC squad that he has effectively compromised the rest of his career by coming back too early.

Can he still do a job for the club ? My instinct is not with the demands that JM demands from players.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Ledley King*
Tighthead
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Tighthead »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:34 pmLedley King*
No you were right first time.
WestgateRun
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WestgateRun »

Sad news about Bamford.
At one time he was scoring goals and was included in the England squad.
He probably won't ever reach that level again.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Any surgery to Patrick needs to involve removing the part of the brain that thinks your leg is broke when you stub your toe.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Rook
First Team
First Team

Post by Rook »

Really does feel like Bamford has reached the end of the line.

I hope I'm wrong and he comes back better than ever.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Get Dean Ashton/Michael Bridges vides from Paddy unfortunately.

Shined bright briefly and then injuries ruined them.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

So very sorry for Bamford. All he's ever done is everything that was asked of him,

Fourth-leading scorer in the EPL two years ago (without padding his statistics with penalties) and nothing but hard luck ever since. Gives his all every minute on the pitch.

Gets far too much undeserved criticism, if you ask me.

That being said, I don't know how much of a place there is for him in the side now that Rodrigo seems to have settled in at the striker position and with management still (hopefully) intent on bringing in another striker.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, Paddy. Wish you the best whatever happens.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Like most other fans I feel sorry for Bamford and like most other fans I don’t think he’ll come back from this latest set back, not back to the required level anyway. Notwithstanding that I still think there are greater priorities elsewhere on the pitch for new players, rather than a striker.

The fact that we’ve been drawn away from home again in the 3rd round of the FA cup is remarkable - fix!

If it’s true that Gakpo was happy to come to Leeds (I’d heard otherwise) and that personal terms had been agreed, then the transfer fee must have been the sticking point. I’m not keen on paying over the odds, as we often seem to do for the wrong players, but from what we’ve seen of him at the World Cup, Gakpo may well have been the right player. The Leeds United ship once again being spoilt for a ha’p’orth o’ tar.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Sorry to hear about the Bamford injury. it's been pretty obvious that he isn't fit. Sounds like he is going under the knife of the famous Surgeon in Germany that specializes in abductor injury repairs. I can't remember her name. But If that's the case she has a great track record and may actually be able to get Paddy fit again. But it's going to take some time. It won't be a fortnight. More like March at the earliest.

The bottom line is we didn't sign Cody Gakpo. But I saw the interview with Jesse and thought his comments were an interesting insight. His statement that Victor was with the family and that personal terms were agreed seems to support the rumor that it was Van Gaal that scuttled the move. You don't send the private jet if the clubs had not agreed on a fee. I never bought into the PSV narrative on that. It's all worked out well for Gakpo as he has had a great World Cup. He is indeed out of our price range now. And I think the big clubs will be lining up for him.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

We need Paddy fit as he’s the back up striker, there’s more goals in the old dog yet. He’ll be fine and off the bench for 30 minutes when needed was always his best position
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Bamford undergoes surgery.

Gutted for the kid. I hope it goes well and he can continue his career. It took me a few seasons to really appreciate the running he did under Bielsa. I always had him down has a bit of a lazy wanderer type before that.. He ran his b*llox off under Marcelo to make the press work.

Gokpo deal - we were 99.9% there.

I take it they mean like the James deal without the actual paperwork. What happened there again...?!

Little love lost - FA Cup tie between Leeds and Cardiff set for live broadcast.

You would have thought there will be a massive police presence on the day. If the Firms want to smash each others face in get it arranged for some waste ground somewhere down there. If i remember correctly a Leeds fan was saying some Cardiff fans were even throwing bags of excrement into the into the Leeds end.??? Forgetting all that tho its a a cracking FA Cup tie.