The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 9th December) - Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win and Festa d’Elx trophy

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 9th December) - Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win and Festa d’Elx trophy

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 9th December, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win

Leeds came from behind to beat Elche last night, and lift the Festa d’Elx Trophy, but it was far from the easy jaunt they had expected. Rooted to the bottom of La Liga, winless, and with only four points on the board from their opening 14 games, the Alicante based outfit were not expected to put up much resistance; yet they dominated the first half to such a degree that the statistical heatmaps looked more like forest fires, breaking out uncontrollably in the Leeds half.

They deservedly took the lead on the stroke of half-time, when Josan latched on to a long diagonal ball, slicing the Leeds defence in half. With only Hjelde bothering to track back, the veteran forward had the time and space to pick his target, and open the scoreline with the assistance of the post.

The visitors were only marginally better after the break, but the overall difference between both teams is that Marsch's team took their chances. They equalised on the hour mark. Harrison's perfectly executed through ball allowed Greenwood to nip in front of the defenders and provide an easy tap-in for Gelhardt who up until this point had been starved from service.

Leeds made six changes in the last half hour, and it was one of his substitutes that made all the headlines. Dropped by his Country, and languishing on the bench for large periods of time this season, Mateusz Klich proved there is life in the old dog yet with a spectacular 25 yard screamer that proved to be the winner.

Leeds hold their breath on Summerville injury

Inform forward Crysencio Summerville faces a spell on the sidelines following a collision with John Nwankwo during the early stages of last night's friendly between Elche and Leeds Utd. Both players had to be withdrawn, but it was Summerville who attracted the most concern, as he was helped off the pitch by the Leeds physio's, clearly in agony.

The Netherlands under-21 international has scored in each of his last four top-flight appearances, and has proved more than a capable replacement for Sinisterra, who remains on the treatment table. The extent of Summerville's injury will not be known until tests are done later on today, but early signs are not good. According to match commentator Tony Dorigo...

That does not look okay at all, that is not good news. It’s how gingerly he was actually walking, that’s the worry. He jumped up quickly, but walking back, he has felt it. The most important thing is go off straight away, limit the damage.

Eight first team players out

Following Leeds 2-1 win over Elche, Leeds Manager Jesse Marsch gave a full assessment on the walking wounded. Robin Koch, Patrick Bamford, Junior Firpo, Diego Llorente, Sonny Perkins, Luis Sinisterra, and now Crysencio Summerville are all sidelined through injury, but it's Meslier's absence which is more concerning.

The 22 year old shot stopper has glandular fever, and is not expected to return to training until a week before the Manchester City game. Should he not recover in time, and with Tyler Adams suspended, Pep guardiola could have a field day!

Illan (update) you guys call it glandular fever, we call it mono. We're trying to be safe with him, but also measure him appropriately and see. “It'll be close when we can get him back into training days to a week before Man City. Junior Firpo wasn't as bad as we initially thought, so he actually travelled here and he will be close to training next week." “Patrick Bamford had a successful surgery. We think he'll be ready in about 10 days." "Robin will be ready to train in the week. Hopefully, Cree’s not too bad."

Diego's hand: he had successful surgery and they say two weeks after the surgery he can start participating in training so that shouldn't last too long. For the most part, we should be able to get most of the guys back in training before we play our first match against Man City, maybe even 10 days before. Sonny Perkins, maybe a little bit of a calf issue, but hopefully it's not so bad.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 9th December) Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier is illness prone, get rid...

As for Elche it was a decent second half perfrmance after a rusty first half. Elche had a game last week so more game ready plus they may have no league wins but they're better than that....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 9th December) Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win

Post by Clitheroe White »

faaip wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:28 am Meslier is illness prone, get rid...
Assuming that is sarcasm?
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 9th December) - Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win and Festa d’Elx trophy

Post by Clitheroe White »

Nice to see Klich score a good goal.

Overall a win is a win. A good run out.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 9th December) - Klich thunderbolt seals Leeds win and Festa d’Elx trophy

Post by Irish Ian »

I watched over at HT. We were truly awful and conceded our usual goal.

Signs are not great for the restart.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Meaningless game risking injury to anyone taking part (as if we don't have enough, let's see if we can add more)

Good old Orta, living the life of Rielly, perhaps Bert was about to expose his shortcomings for all the blind and those that didn't already know to see.

RB - He bought Drameh to slip in for the aging Luke.
GK - Is it 5 or 6 attempts now.
LB - Is it 5 or 6 attempts now.
CH - He bought goodness knows how many as replacement for White.
CM - How many ?
CF - How many have we tried and how many do we currently have, and people say it's not enough ?

Shouldn't all these superb buys (cast offs) be putting down their mark by now ?

Are we building for the future, how far into the future ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

The one trophy we have has a logo of a stick of dynamite inside a condom on it.

Can’t wait til my scum supporting neighbour sees that one. :rant:
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:54 am Meaningless game risking injury to anyone taking part (as if we don't have enough, let's see if we can add more)

Good old Orta, living the life of Rielly, perhaps Bert was about to expose his shortcomings for all the blind and those that didn't already know to see.

RB - He bought Drameh to slip in for the aging Luke.
GK - Is it 5 or 6 attempts now.
LB - Is it 5 or 6 attempts now.
CH - He bought goodness knows how many as replacement for White.
CM - How many ?
CF - How many have we tried and how many do we currently have, and people say it's not enough ?

Shouldn't all these superb buys (cast offs) be putting down their mark by now ?

Are we building for the future, how far into the future ?
Players need games to get ready for the league. So not meaningless at all.

Orta still living rent free I see...

And it is Reilly, if you are determined to insult the man the least you could do is spell your tropes correctly. :lol:
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Unfortunately, I suspect the majority of our members missed this match screened live on YouTube & LUTV.

I did my best to alert everyone.

A concerning first-half performance with mainly our experienced players selected, much better when we brought on Klich & the kids on at half-time, they showed how a team should play attractive football.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:48 am Players need games to get ready for the league. So not meaningless at all.

Orta still living rent free I see...

And it is Reilly, if you are determined to insult the man the least you could do is spell your tropes correctly. :lol:
Apparently you are both wrong. It is Riley

Sydney Riley was a character in a lot of musical songs. He was a man who comes into some money from the song by Pat Rooney that was popular in America in the 1880's.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I’m not sure we’d miss Meslier against Citeh as much as we’d miss Adams. Robles seems a very competent and reliable replacement, from what we’ve seen on a par with young Ilan - I wish I could say the same about Forshaw!
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

I'd start Gyabi v City if Adams is out ... it's a good learning experience, he'll want to play well and we've nothing to lose
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

faaip wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:39 am I'd start Gyabi v City if Adams is out ... it's a good learning experience, he'll want to play well and we've nothing to lose
Have I missed something? Is Adam's injured?
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

weasel wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:16 am Apparently you are both wrong. It is Riley

Sydney Riley was a character in a lot of musical songs. He was a man who comes into some money from the song by Pat Rooney that was popular in America in the 1880's.
It is an Irish name.

From Ó Raghailligh.
Anglicised first to O'Reilly and then to Reilly.

Others are derivatives bit it was never Rielly.
'
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:56 am Have I missed something? Is Adam's injured?
suspended hun.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:39 am I'd start Gyabi v City if Adams is out ... it's a good learning experience, he'll want to play well and we've nothing to lose
Agree :tup:

I suspect Jesse will start Forshaw or Klich (who is not a defensive midfielder)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

whiteswan wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:56 am Have I missed something? Is Adam's injured?
Obviously the Spurs game, you were probably hiding behind the sofa :lol:

Two yellow cards, red carded in the final few minutes, Swannie.

Unfortunately, the one player we can't afford to lose, god help us if he picks up a sustained injury.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Summerville maybe missing too after limping off last night.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

1964white wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:07 am Unfortunately, I suspect the majority of our members missed this match screened live on YouTube & LUTV.

I did my best to alert everyone.

A concerning first-half performance with mainly our experienced players selected, much better when we brought on Klich & the kids on at half-time, they showed how a team should play attractive football.
Still available on Youtube if anyone did miss it. My advice is skip the first half and just watch the last 45.