Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:55 pm Brilliant final

Argentina deserved it

MESSIIIIIIIIII

GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Great game. France didn't look like they stood a chance for 75 minutes. If Otamendi had cleared that ball first time, they might never have got into the game. That was a lot of fun at least.
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Interesting that all the awards went to players from the winning team.

I thought Gvardiol was the young player of the torunament.

Emi Martinez should have won the golden ball. Messi did have a great tournament - he was involved in most of Argentina's goals. But Martinez won it for them with two great shoot out performances.
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Irish Ian »

A very enjoyable final in what has been a decent comp.

The schedule kept it moving, many of the good players shone, and the best team won despite losing their first game

And of course I am happy for Marcelo

Bueno
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Irish Ian »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:12 pm Interesting that all the awards went to players from the winning team.

I thought Gvardiol was the young player of the torunament.

Emi Martinez should have won the golden ball. Messi did have a great tournament - he was involved in most of Argentina's goals. But Martinez won it for them with two great shoot out performances.
Mbappe won the boot
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13058
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Irish Ian wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:14 pm Mbappe won the boot
I was talking about the one's that were picked. Mbappe wasn't selected by a committee.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6716
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Finnatic »

Considering Qatar’s anti gay laws, they then dress Messi up in a see-through neglegee 🤔
User avatar
Irish Ian
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 17184
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the Earth.

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Irish Ian »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:17 pm I was talking about the one's that were picked. Mbappe wasn't selected by a committee.
Ah.. fair play
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
User avatar
mentalcase
MOT Legend
MOT Legend
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:19 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by mentalcase »

Then you get a prick like linekar saying bellingham should have won young player :lol: :lol:
" Man is not affected by events but by the view he takes of them "
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41734
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Cjay »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:09 pm Great game. France didn't look like they stood a chance for 75 minutes. If Otamendi had cleared that ball first time, they might never have got into the game. That was a lot of fun at least.
Best World Cup final I've seen.

Great watch.

Back and forth.

France as you say were non existant for much of the match but kept coming back.

Shame it had to end on pens though.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
SG90
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 23140
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by SG90 »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:08 pm Do those near 700 non pen goals and 300 assists not count? :lol:
Carried by penalties in the knockout stages though, unlike a certain Brazilian :)
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41734
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Cjay »

SG90 wrote: ↑Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:27 am Carried by penalties in the knockout stages though, unlike a certain Brazilian :)
Don't be a silly Billy :)

Penalties still have to be scored.

And I think im right in saying that Messi played a part in every single Argentina goal.
Last edited by Cjay on Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Kennyb41 »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:02 pm Best World Cup final I've seen.

Great watch.

Back and forth.

France as you say were non existant for much of the match but kept coming back.


Shame it had to end on pens though.
Argentina made the near fatal mistake of deploying GS tactics and took their foot off the gas willing to encourage France to come forward, that is so dickish when you're battering them up to that minute and France HAVE TO throw caution to the wind, it so nearly cost Messi a WC winners medal and if i'd have been Messi and they lost i'd be up for murder on the manager.

Their 4 best players are up front ffs, why the hell do you let them play, continue stuffing them and going for their weak underbelly.

YOU LISTENING SOUTHGATE YOU PRICK !!
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Rook
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Rook »

It was a hell of a world cup final.

A great end to a great world cup. I thoroughly enjoyed this tournament.
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
Mountain
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 am

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Mountain »

I watched 2 games, Argentina Netherlands which I thought was poor, and England France, which was much better. Didn't see the final, the whole corruption, workers dying, anti LGBT laws, womens rights meant that while I wasn't boycotting it, I just wasn't that invested in it.
User avatar
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 14818
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:40 pm
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411
Location: Lisburn, N.I

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by lufc1304 »

Best final I've seen (first was Argentina '78), it had everything. Shame it had to be decided by penalties, but it kept the tension high right to the end. Delighted for Messi, if ever a player deserved to be a WC winner. Marcelo will be a happy man, too. A sickener for Mbappe, has a player ever scored 4 goals in a game and still been on the losing side? He has time on his side, though, and the player most likely to pick up the baton from Messi.

Now back to the cold, hard reality of getting humped by City on Boxing Day!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by Jaydog »

Didn't like the Argie keepers antics at all in the shootout. If every one did that it would be chaos.
It’s the only thing that the ref didn’t handle well. He was very good other than that.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155334
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by 1964white »

lufc1304 wrote: ↑Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:11 pm Now back to the cold, hard reality of getting humped by City on Boxing Day!!
Oh, that little matter.

How do I prepare myself for that game? Just hoping it won't be as embarrassing as our fans think it might be.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155334
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by 1964white »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:38 pm Didn't like the Argie keepers antics at all in the shootout. If every one did that it would be chaos.
It’s the only thing that the ref didn’t handle well. He was very good other than that.
Learned his antics at Villa Park.
Sockerist
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:44 pm

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. England v France 7pm

Post by Sockerist »

faaip wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:17 pm The born in England is the key part, nothing else matters. I assume he got educated here, mates are British... We're maybe the most ethnically diverse country on earth, London is certainly the most ethnically diverse city on the planet and I love it. The more the merrier..... If Saka feels British and wants to play for England more power to him.

My dad was born in /india as were his parents and their parents going back to the mid to late 1800's. I'm first generation English also, going back 150 yrs we're Scottish.

No clue what you mean by situation. What situation?
I respect your view and we may have to agree to disagree. If I am reading your post right, you appear to be saying that your more recent ancestors were colonial Scots in India. If so, in my view someone like you would qualify as an England player on the basis merely of birth and/or upbringing, as you are of a closely-similar ethnicity. I cannot agree with you about players who do not meet that criteria. That is not out of disrespect for those players. As I am at pains to emphasise, it is not a reflection on their abilities one way or the other. Personally I would rather have a mediocre team that is English than a World Cup-winning team made up of players who aren't English. I think the latter view is cynical and raises fundamental questions about the legitimacy and fairness of it.

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:24 pm Racist prick.

Saka was born in Ealing and has lived his entire life in England. He's as much an Englishman as you or anyone else.
He is not English. Living in England does not make you English.

If I was born in Russia and lived my entire life there, but without Russian ancestry, would I be Russkii? I would not.

If a football team was composed of such people and called itself the national football team of Russia, would that team actually be the national team of Russia? It would not. Perhaps it would be in a legal sense, but not in a true sense. Not in reality.

These are facts. Ignoring facts creates an illusory reality in which 2 + 2 is said to make 5.

2 and 2 can never make 5. You can pass laws to say that 2 and 2 is 5, and you can bully, cajole and threaten people and use emotional and sentimental arguments, but 2 and 2 still won't make 5. Legislative fiat doesn't get round it. It never will. The facts will remain the same 100 years from now.

Calling me names doesn't improve your argument. My argument is anyway not racist in the strict sense.

Thanks.
Mountain wrote: ↑Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:55 pm :lol: :lol:

Petition not to ban Sockerist. I for one find his efforts to grab attention and be edgy on an anonymous forum hilarious.
Thanks, but I actually do sincerely believe in the thrust of what I said. It's not a question of being 'edgy'. In fact, I tried to be careful in how I worded it, as I don't wish to offend anybody. It's just that nobody seems to comment on something that seems so obvious: how can we continue to have national teams if those teams are composed of players who are not of the relevant ethnicities?

I think this is a legitimate question. You seem contemptuous of my views, hence your evasive and immature response. You are entitled to disagree with me, but your disagreement leaves open an unresolved paradox and demands that I ignore what is staring us all in the face. International football used to be the pinnacle of football. It's now just cynical rubbish.
User avatar
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 22394
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Location: Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Re: Qatar World Cup 2022. Argentina v France

Post by White Riot »

mentalcase wrote: ↑Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:22 pm Then you get a prick like linekar saying bellingham should have won young player :lol: :lol:
You couldn't make it up mate 😜

Bell-endingham came up short like the rest of them.

Like our Bielsa 🐰 boilers, he's probably stil sobbing over his framed picture of Gareth Southgate :verysad:
Post Reply