The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 30th January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

Leeds eased their way to the last sixteen of the FA Cup for the first time since 2013, after overcoming League One minnows Accrington Stanley at the Wham Stadium on Saturday Lunchtime. It wasn't a particularly convincing first half performance, though they were disciplined. The hosts may have started the stronger, but were restricted to half chances, and pot shots from distance.

Leeds took the lead half way through the first half. Kristensen started the attack with a strong run down the right wing, before bringing Greenwood into play. The 21yo worked his way to a more central position before laying the ball off to Bamford, who has three defenders to contend with. His smart touch carved open the Accrington defence, allowing Harrison to strike a first time effort from 30 yards, which flew past the despairing dive of Toby Savin.

Sinisterra went on to rock the woodwork, and Savin denied Rutter a debut goal with a smart diving save, as Leeds tried in vein to extend their lead before the interval. Leeds dominated the second half, and were rewarded just after the hour mark when Bamford tee'd up Junior Firpo for his first goal for the club, followed two minutes later by a predatory strike from Sinisterra following good work from Harrison.

The floodgates threatened to burst, but Savin stayed strong for the hosts. The Owd reds were rewarded for their hard work with a consolation goal ten minutes from time, but never looked like threatening Leeds lead.

Leeds are making a statement by signing McKennie

Weston McKennie has arrived in Leeds, ahead of his medical later on today, after which he will become a Leeds Utd player. The combative USA International will initially join on loan for the rest of the season. Along with the €1.2m loan fee, the potential package is expected to reach €40m (£35.2m) should Leeds exercise their rights to purchase the 24yo.

McKennie is a recognisable figure on the International stage, and Leeds pulling out all the stops to sign him shows the kind of intent that Leeds fans have been craving for years. Some may moan that Radrizzani has paid too much, but when other top flight outfits are after him, do you really want to take the risk of losing him? The club are finally putting their money where their mouth is. Marsch has no excuses now!

Bamford has found his swagger

Jesse Marsch was quick to praise Patrick Bamford's contribution following Leeds 3-1 victory at the Wham Stadium at the weekend. The 29yo provided two assists, and caused the Accrington defence no end of headache's with his trademark runs into the channels, leaving their defence glaringly exposed at times. After so much time sidelined, we feared Bamford's best days were behind him, but class is permanent. it was thrilling to see him back in action, and starting to fire of all cylinders again.

I think it’s a huge step forward. Even last week, he didn’t quite feel ready to start and so we trained hard this week in preparation for this and you could see that he looks like himself. So, you know, then the discussion was ‘OK, how long can we go?’ And we said ‘let’s check in half-time’ and half-time he felt great.

It didn’t have the pace of what a Premier League match has, but still 75 minutes for him at this point from – what he’s been through in the last year – I think is gigantic. So it gives us a chance I think to really start to push Patrick to be the player we know he can be. It certainly gives us more weapons. We have weapons now and that’s fun for a manager to work with.

WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

Post by WhiteRose »

Llorente leaving us for Roma on loan with obligation to buy, not sure there will be too many bothered especially if we recoup his initial transfer fee. Does leave us a bit short though so maybe another signing in coming.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 30th January) - Leeds too strong for League One strugglers

Post by weasel »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:54 am
Bamford has found his swagger

Jesse Marsch was quick to praise Patrick Bamford's contribution following Leeds 3-1 victory at the Wham Stadium at the weekend. The 29yo provided two assists, and caused the Accrington defence no end of headache's with his trademark runs into the channels, leaving their defence glaringly exposed at times. After so much time sidelined, we feared Bamford's best days were behind him, but class is permanent. it was thrilling to see him back in action, and starting to fire of all cylinders again.
Probably more important was that Bamford took quite a few hefty knocks and came through okay. That will give him a huge confidence boost as he will finally feel he can rely on his body not to break down. He will be able to play without worrying that any tackle could see him out injured again so can just concentrate on playing the game.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 am Llorente leaving us for Roma on loan with obligation to buy, not sure there will be too many bothered especially if we recoup his initial transfer fee. Does leave us a bit short though so maybe another signing in coming.
Where did you hear that?
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Chilli D wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:08 am Where did you hear that?
Fabrizio Romano on Twitter I would think

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... gr%5Etweet
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 am Fabrizio Romano on Twitter I would think

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... gr%5Etweet
Yeah Phil hay has confirmed it as well
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

So once we complete the signing of Mckennie our first team squad will be:

Meslier
Robles
Ayling
Kristensen
Koch
Wober
Cooper
Struijk
Firpo
Aaronson
Summerville
Rutter
Adams
Mckennie
Roca
Harrison
Greenwood
Gnonto
Sinisterra
Bamford
Rodrigo

Fringe players:
Gyabi
Joseph
Perkins

Question marks over fitness:
Forshaw
Dallas

Players on loan to gain experience:
Cresswell
Gelhardt
Bate
Hjelde

That's a lot of players to try and keep happy.
Last edited by Chilli D on Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

If Llorente goes and we don't get Cresswell back we're down to one centre back that can play right side. So I guess one of four things happens

Ayling backs up Koch at CB - Not great at all
Kristensen is getting moved
Kris Moore is close to ready
We're buying another CB
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am Yeah Phil hay has confirmed it as well
Very strange then after after him just signing a new deal.
Sounds like he may have had a falling out with JM over lack of game time especially after only getting 15 minutes on Saturday.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Diogo Monteiro 20 year old central defender seems to be in the frame, it's reported he's agreed terms...
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Been away for a week or so, back now!

Re the Stanley game, I thought our performance was good in parts and adequate overall. The fact that they, a struggling League one team, had no less than 16 shots shows how vulnerable we still are defensively, but we do look to have some awesome fire-power now in an attacking sense. Two or three guilt edge chances missed and a couple of incidents where VAR would have intervened positively for us, could have seen us at least double our score.

Rutter showed some promising signs and it’s good to see Bamford back to his very useful best and Sinisterra back and growing in confidence game by game.

I have only ever seen Mckennie playing in the most recent World Cup against England and he looked decent. I wonder whether he will be competing with Aaronson for a 1st team place as an attacking Mid rather than with the likes of Roca or Adams in defensive midfield, he seemed to be more attack minded playing for USA versus England.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all.
Happy we're into the next round, waited far too long for this to happen.
I'm not bamfords biggest fan, although I thought he was excellent on saturday, that said it was against AS, but, you have to get your'e confidence somewhere.
WM is a shedload of cash if we exercise that right, hopefully he'll be a massive hit for us, JM has been backed and given the tools now, lets see him operate with them, simply no excuses now on.
We have almost a week to plot the downfall of forest, unhindered, no interruptions, this is a massive game for both clubs, but, if we lose, I don't see much hope for JM going forward.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Regarding Llorente - it does make you wonder if the new contract was a means of maintaining some level of value. Strange and risky strategy if the club had no intention of keeping him ?

Begs the question as to whether the contract offer for Harrison is a similar scenario.

Is Cresswell returning or has his load move been approved for the whole season ?
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

WhiteRose wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am Yeah Phil hay has confirmed it as well
It's also on the Sky Sports website as well now.
He's already in Rome apparently
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

mentalcase wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:25 am Morning all.
Happy we're into the next round, waited far too long for this to happen.
I'm not bamfords biggest fan, although I thought he was excellent on saturday, that said it was against AS, but, you have to get your'e confidence somewhere.
WM is a shedload of cash if we exercise that right, hopefully he'll be a massive hit for us, JM has been backed and given the tools now, lets see him operate with them, simply no excuses now on.
We have almost a week to plot the downfall of forest, unhindered, no interruptions, this is a massive game for both clubs, but, if we lose, I don't see much hope for JM going forward.
Agree - nothing but three points from this game will be seen as acceptable by most fans given the level of investment. If we dominate, are unlucky and come away with a point I might be just about satisfied. If we lose or manage to scrape a point that will be the tipping point for me.
JM has absolutely no excuses now not to start putting points on the board.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

faaip wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:17 am If Llorente goes and we don't get Cresswell back we're down to one centre back that can play right side. So I guess one of four things happens

Ayling backs up Koch at CB - Not great at all
Kristensen is getting moved
Kris Moore is close to ready
We're buying another CB
I can play centre back...
Pullhard
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Pullhard »

5th round draw - a rare occurrence. A welcome thing. Wembley beckons :)

Delighted to see Bamford making a positive impact and hopefully he stays intact. Must admit I had discounted having him in action for us again.

Hope Llorente does well at Roma and they exercise the buy option. Decent player though not necessarily suited to the PL.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:32 am Agree - nothing but three points from this game will be seen as acceptable by most fans given the level of investment. If we dominate, are unlucky and come away with a point I might be just about satisfied. If we lose or manage to scrape a point that will be the tipping point for me.
JM has absolutely no excuses now not to start putting points on the board.
The defence still isn't the best, but, having said that, the midfield and attack are more than capable on paper, shame it's the system not paper we lake on, as we say, up to JM now, he has been backed :tup:
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:24 am Re the Stanley game, I thought our performance was good in parts and adequate overall. The fact that they, a struggling League one team, had no less than 16 shots shows how vulnerable we still are defensively, but we do look to have some awesome fire-power now in an attacking sense. Two or three guilt edge chances missed and a couple of incidents where VAR would have intervened positively for us, could have seen us at least double our score.
If one of their shots from the edge of the area had flown into the net instead of Harrison's we could well have been knocked out. Small margins.
WhiteRose
First Team
First Team

Post by WhiteRose »

As well as llorente, rumours cresswell been sent to Coventry for 4 million - think we will regret that in future if true.