Album of 2001 (Part III) - NOMINATE NOW!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Durly
First Team
First Team

Re: Album of 1995 (Part II) - NOMINATE NOW!

Post by Durly »

SaraM wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:29 pm Considered that.
The first two Tindersticks albums and the Bloomsbury Theatre live album are all imperious. I hadn't realised the Bloomsbury album was also 1995........thought it was a year or two later.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Durly wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:24 pm The first two Tindersticks albums and the Bloomsbury Theatre live album are all imperious. I hadn't realised the Bloomsbury album was also 1995........thought it was a year or two later.
Love the first two, never listened to the live one.
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

Oasis ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? ‘

Now, I’m well aware that most on here dislike Oasis with a passion. However, for this album, given the massive impact it had at the time not be nominated in two rounds of an AOTY poll for 1995 (whether you like it or not) is imo ridiculous.

Try and leave those Gallagher prejudices at the door. Just because it was massively successful shouldn’t mean people now feel the need to now consign it to the bin of 90’s commercial trash in a flush of music snobbery.

I like it………it’s not about trying to pick winners.

You’d all of disliked two of my other thoughts even more, so count yourselves lucky 😄
White Riot
Superstar
Superstar

Post by White Riot »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:13 am Oasis ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? ‘

Now, I’m well aware that most on here dislike Oasis with a passion. However, for this album, given the massive impact it had at the time not be nominated in two rounds of an AOTY poll for 1995 (whether you like it or not) is imo ridiculous.

Try and leave those Gallagher prejudices at the door. Just because it was massively successful shouldn’t mean people now feel the need to now consign it to the bin of 90’s commercial trash in a flush of music snobbery.

You’d all of disliked two of my other thoughts even more, so count yourselves lucky 😄
I bought this album at the time MTC, and first few listens I thought great, sing along stuff.

But after another listen I realised that for me there was no longevity in this music and I was bored to death with it.

Not saying it's not a good album and the songs are not good.

But, it just ain't for me.

Definitely Maybe is a much better album imo.

Once the herd cottons on to something it always leaves me a bit cold anyway.

In comparison Radiohead's The Bends and Ok Computer are still vibrant and fresh. And I'm not really a big Radiohead fan.

Each to their own mate.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

I just wasn't a big fan of Britpop. Or at least the whole Blur/Pulp/Oasis thing. I did like a lot more by Suede alright. But wouldn't dismiss it as a reaction to popularity, Jagged Little Pill and the Bends sold by the gazillion and they were nominated first time.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:13 am Oasis ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? ‘

Sod the snobbery/I'm cool brigade. If it floats your boat, nominate it, Cat.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

White Riot wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:44 am
In comparison Radiohead's The Bends and Ok Computer are still vibrant and fresh. And I'm not really a big Radiohead fan.
'Kid A' is even more fresher, though the album wasn't received well by every Radiohead fan at the time.

I love the Westway boys.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:29 pm Think you nominated that one in RdI, Nick

It follows on after Oysterband in 64’s list.
Bugger, so I did! Thanks, Muppet, good to see someone is paying attention. Unlike myself!!
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Prejudices aside, I can't stand his voice. As with many bands/ artists, that can make/ break whether I listen to them or not.

I didn't dislike Oasis for their popularity, I disliked them for the hype. Even Guitarist magazine, which I used to read at the time, had a big feature on Noel Gallagher being the greatest modern songwriter. There was a huge element of emperor's new clothes about them.

If you like them for the catchy tunes, nostalgia, or whatever, fair enough; they're probably the 90s equivalent of Slade or The Sweet. I won't be persuaded that they were musical geniuses, however.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:16 am Even Guitarist magazine, which I used to read at the time, had a big feature on Noel Gallagher being the greatest modern songwriter. There was a huge element of emperor's new clothes about them.
I remember the adulation. And the lyrics were dirge. Now, as will be rather obvious from my nominations of electronic albums, I don't need one word in a song. But don't tell me sentences that a 10 year old could string together have some artistic merit...

“She’s got a sister / And God only knows how I’ve missed her / And on the palm of her hand is a blister/ And I need more time”

“Slowly walking down the hall / faster than a cannonball”

"Slip inside the eye of your mind / Don't you know you might find / A better place to play?"

And it just went on and on and on for what seemed like years of just throwing words together in any old order and the critics loved it.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Mountain wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:37 am I remember the adulation. And the lyrics were dirge. Now, as will be rather obvious from my nominations of electronic albums, I don't need one word in a song. But don't tell me sentences that a 10 year old could string together have some artistic merit...

“She’s got a sister / And God only knows how I’ve missed her / And on the palm of her hand is a blister/ And I need more time”

“Slowly walking down the hall / faster than a cannonball”

"Slip inside the eye of your mind / Don't you know you might find / A better place to play?"

And it just went on and on and on for what seemed like years of just throwing words together in any old order and the critics loved it.
Yeah, it's just drivel, isn't it. There can be an artistry in spouting bollocks (see Bowie), but there has to be an element of self-awareness.

It seemed like the Gallaghers believed their own hype and took themselves very seriously, which made them and their acolytes look even more ridiculous.

Even the good, honest, working class lads schtick was never convincing. Plagiarists, grifters and poseurs.

There, and I was going to resist slagging them off. Sorry, Cat!
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am Yeah, it's just drivel, isn't it. There can be an artistry in spouting bollocks (see Bowie), but there has to be an element of self-awareness.

It seemed like the Gallaghers believed their own hype and took themselves very seriously, which made them and their acolytes look even more ridiculous.

Even the good, honest, working class lads schtick was never convincing. Plagiarists, grifters and poseurs.

There, and I was going to resist slagging them off. Sorry, Cat!
😁……..I know you can't stand them, Sara……no problem. I just think this album gets an unnecessarily harsh ride sometimes. Tbh I don’t listen to it often these days.
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Post by Mountain »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:54 am Yeah, it's just drivel, isn't it. There can be an artistry in spouting bollocks (see Bowie), but there has to be an element of self-awareness.

I don't know if it was just me...but I found it hard to tell songs in What's the Story apart, it was like they hit this formula of a wall of noise on guitar, heavy drumming, and shouted nasally lyrics that made no sense.

I think Blur were more versatile (which also made me really dislike some of their more twee efforts, like Country House), more self aware and less angry, and frankly better. I think with Gorillaz Damon Albarn really showed his ability to adapt, open his mind a bit more, move away from the sound and look that made him famous etc. I don't think you could ever pitch "now, you will never be seen, and you can't spit on anyone, you are concepts, cartoon characters called Noodle and 2D" to the Gallaghers.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am 😁……..I know you can't stand them, Sara……no problem. I just think this album gets an unnecessarily harsh ride sometimes. Tbh I don’t listen to it often these days.
I know, for many, they captured the mood of the time, and that's why they were popular. The 90s passed me by, musically; there's not much I relate to from that decade.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Mountain wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:05 am I don't know if it was just me...but I found it hard to tell songs in What's the Story apart, it was like they hit this formula of a wall of noise on guitar, heavy drumming, and shouted nasally lyrics that made no sense.

I think Blur were more versatile (which also made me really dislike some of their more twee efforts, like Country House), more self aware and less angry, and frankly better. I think with Gorillaz Damon Albarn really showed his ability to adapt, open his mind a bit more, move away from the sound and look that made him famous etc. I don't think you could ever pitch "now, you will never be seen, and you can't spit on anyone, you are concepts, cartoon characters called Noodle and 2D" to the Gallaghers.
Blur had more about them, certainly. I like Graham Coxon as a guitarist. More inventive and less formulaic, as you say.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Thought it was amusing but spot on when The Beatles "disappeared" from human consciousness in Yesterday and the only other band that also seemed to disappear was Oasis
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

2Pac 'Me Against The World'
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
onemoreslogan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by onemoreslogan »

My head says Vee Vee by the Archers but my heart is gonna win this one:

Accidentally Acquired Beliefs by Bob Wiseman

I also remember thinking Tiger Lily was a nice shift from 10,000 Maniacs at the time
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Muppet the Cat wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:02 am 😁……..I know you can't stand them, Sara……no problem. I just think this album gets an unnecessarily harsh ride sometimes. Tbh I don’t listen to it often these days.
I suspect you wish you hadn't nominated ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? ;-)

I feel for you, mate.

I suggest you nominate a Beatles album in the 60s polls :lol:
Muppet the Cat

Post by Muppet the Cat »

1964white wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:22 pm I suspect you wish you hadn't nominated ‘(What’s The Story) Morning Glory ? ;-)

I feel for you, mate.

I suggest you nominate a Beatles album in the 60s polls :lol:
No...I stand by my nomination, 64 :)

Not as good as Pulp (which I put up in Rd1) but still one of the best (imo) from 1995, although I don't play it very much these days....but have this week !

As is probably evident my my relative lack of wins I don't pick albums that I think others will necessarily vote for I just pick the one I like............if others like them, great............if not, I won't lose any sleep :)