The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd February) Orta promised to match Leicester deal

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd February) Orta promised to match Leicester deal

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Friday 3rd January, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Orta promised to match Leicester deal

Further details are emerging regarding Jack Harrison's deadline day jaunt to Leicester City's training ground in Seagrave. The 26yo had agreed personal terms with the Foxes, and was half way through his medical, when Victor Orta called him, and agreed to match their deal. With the promise of a new contract, Harrison was happy to return to Leeds, and leave the crisp munchers deflated. Harrison is worth a lot more than £20m, and by securing a new long term arrangement, his valuation is set to double in the forthcoming weeks.

Only a win will do

Nottingham Forest made their 29th signing of the season yesterday, after Ghanaian Captain Andre Ayew negotiated his early release from Qatari outfit Al Sadd, and penned a short term deal at the City ground. As a free agent, the 33yo was allowed to join a new club outside of the transfer window.

He will be available at the weekend for the relegation showdown against Leeds, a game neither side can afford to lose. The noose around Marsch's neck may have loosened slightly over the past couple of weeks, but with successive (home and away) games against Manchester Utd, the reality is, Leeds must beat Forest, or they could easily find themselves bottom of the pile by the time they face Everton on the 18th February.

Steve Coopers men have recorded 3 wins and two draws from their last six games, making them one of the form teams in the top flight. The reality is, this game will be a lot more difficult than expected.

Marsch picked McKennie

US football pundit Sebastian Salazar has stated that Jesse Marsch hand picked Weston McKennie ahead of a host of cheaper alternatives. Although the news that an American coach picked one of his own, won't come as a shock to many, it does show a vote of confidence from the Elland Road hierarchy, who could have easily have gone for a much cheaper alternative like Ounahi.

“I think he (Marsch) might be running towards the punch a little too much here,” said Salazar. “But that’s who Jesse Marsch is. He is saying ‘not only is an American going to come to the Premier League and succeed, but he is also going to do it with other Americans’. He is going to spend this guy’s money on other Americans.

“The other guy Leeds were linked to for this job was Ounahi, remember the number eight that caught everyone’s attention for Morocco at the World Cup? He ends up going to Marseille for not a ton of money.

“It looks like Weston McKennie was chosen over some pretty good other options here by Jesse Marsch and Leeds, if that’s the case, then it’s significant. But also, we had to assume the American ownership are on board with this and it’s a vote of confidence.”

Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd February) Orta promised to match Leicester deal

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all

Good news with regards Jackie, I know some people don't rate him but 100% he's worth more than £20m and we shouldn't be selling our players to our rivals at the bottom of the league.

This is a must win game, as I can't see us winning the following tow against the scum and by the time we play Everton they'll be a better team that if Fwank was in charge, bottlers the lot of them, why didn't the Board hold their nerve and keep Fwank he was doing a great job.

News flash: Man likes things from his own Country over foreign stuff
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Mountain
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Friday 3rd February) Orta promised to match Leicester deal

Post by Mountain »

Harrison will be getting a good jump in wages. By any source, Leicester have a slew of players near or even well over the 100k pw mark. They weren't going to be signing a player for 20 million plus and sticking him on the average PL wage of 60k pw.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

I'm glad we kept Harrison, but why did it get as far as him agreeing terms with Leicester in the first place.

I hope McKennie turns out to be very good, and isn't just part of Marsch's vanity project to prove that Americans can make it in the PL. Really not happy if Leeds are being used as a vehicle for his/ the 49s agenda in that way.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 am I'm glad we kept Harrison, but why did it get as far as him agreeing terms with Leicester in the first place.

Sounds like his agent trying to increase his wage offer from Leeds
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:16 am Sounds like his agent trying to increase his wage offer from Leeds
Yes, probably... but could we not have preempted that? There's been talk of interest in him from other clubs for some time.

Still, if it let's Orta spin it that he saved the day...
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:19 am Yes, probably... but could we not have preempted that? There's been talk of interest in him from other clubs for some time.

Probably should have offered him a better deal to begin with, just proves they aren't really sure what part he will play going forard
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

YorkshireSquare wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:22 am Probably should have offered him a better deal to begin with, just proves they aren't really sure what part he will play going forard
We've not being getting the best out of Harrison under Marsch. He still has a lot to offer imo... hopefully they've realised that now... or are they just trying to up his value for selling in the summer...?
eastyorkshirewhite
First Team
First Team

Post by eastyorkshirewhite »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:01 am I'm glad we kept Harrison, but why did it get as far as him agreeing terms with Leicester in the first place.

I hope McKennie turns out to be very good, and isn't just part of Marsch's vanity project to prove that Americans can make it in the PL. Really not happy if Leeds are being used as a vehicle for his/ the 49s agenda in that way.
Maybe when they found out the nature of rodrigo,s injury it changed their mind.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:38 am Maybe when they found out the nature of rodrigo,s injury it changed their mind.
Good point, hadn't thought about that.
AylingFlop
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by AylingFlop »

eastyorkshirewhite wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:38 am Maybe when they found out the nature of rodrigo,s injury it changed their mind.
That was my thought too. Especially as Sinisterra isn’t yet back to full fitness
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Done beautifully I feel, a competitor sells a player in expectation of getting another from said rival, doesn't get the replacement... Maybe Rads and co are learning to be tough. We've been victims of late sales no time to buy in the past....
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Personally, I am intrigued and somewhat excited to see the USMINT trio in the middle of the pitch.

It will be JM’s outcome to own however it pans out.

Personally, I am fairly confident that it will be positive. Getting the balance right in the centre of the park is IMO the key area with his tactics.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:29 am Done beautifully I feel, a competitor sells a player in expectation of getting another from said rival, doesn't get the replacement... Maybe Rads and co are learning to be tough. We've been victims of late sales no time to buy in the past....
I think you add too much credit to our board in suggesting some Machiavellian strategy was at play.
It has all the hallmarks of a deadline day shambles.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:38 am I think you add too much credit to our board in suggesting some Machiavellian strategy was at play.
It has all the hallmarks of a deadline day shambles.
Depends on your biases I guess. I'm probably too pro Leeds ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

No bias - just common sense, it would be foolish to intentionally use a player in the circumstances you describe.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

The likeliest reason, with Klich gone, Rodrigo injured & then the sale of Jack would affect the experience of the team & dented our squad numbers too.

I still can't get my head around the fact, why would we want to sell one of our main players to a team who are also in a relegation dogfight.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:19 am Yes, probably... but could we not have preempted that? There's been talk of interest in him from other clubs for some time.

Yip :tup:

And yet again blindfold the already blind.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Dj Dan of Podcast fame has said ( hinted is probably a better word).

All is not well in the upper echelons of Elland Road management.

Despite the public shows of love etc there are disagreements.

Somebody at Elland Road with the power to do so allowed Jack Harrison to go to Leicester and start a medical, only a few people have the power to do that (Jesse Marsch isn't one).

Somebody then put a stop to that medical, again only a few have the power to do that.

I suspect not getting Zaniolo played a part.

But regardless of that someone at the club wanted to claw back some money and someone else said no.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

So yet another conspiracy theory does the rounds. Lets have yet more negativity about the club, why dont we.

This stuff gets very boring day after day.