Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Re: Supporting Leeds United (Welcome & Introductions)

Post by Byebyegeegee »

Welcome aboard Dizi. I hope our club can maintain your interest and eventually divert you from your Arsenal interest. Tough call at the moment seeing as though they are top of the League and we are scrambling around near the bottom. Historically, it has been a lot worse than this for Leeds United but it has also been a lot, lot better. We have won Championships and Cups in the past and, before you were born, were one of the best, if not the best club side in the World for a while. “We’ve had our ups and downs” and no mistake.
Jay - Dizi
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by Jay - Dizi »

Byebyegeegee wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:32 pm Welcome aboard Dizi. I hope our club can maintain your interest and eventually divert you from your Arsenal interest. Tough call at the moment seeing as though they are top of the League and we are scrambling around near the bottom. Historically, it has been a lot worse than this for Leeds United but it has also been a lot, lot better. We have won Championships and Cups in the past and, before you were born, were one of the best, if not the best club side in the World for a while. “We’ve had our ups and downs” and no mistake.
Thanks I appreciate the welcome! It's been exciting to watch the club and I hope to stick around for a while...living through ups and downs is part of the sport. Also, as a DCU supporter, I gotta say thanks for sending Klich our way! :ok:

We've been struggling the past decade and would've been relegated if North American leagues had the same infrastructure as they do in England.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Jay - Dizi wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:31 pm Greetings everyone!

I'm one of the newer crop of American fans interested in your club so I'll do a quick introduction and explain how I've ended up here :)

Football has been a part of my life from a *very* early age and it's a sport tied to numerous memories and phases of my life. One of my earliest memories was watching 1990 WC on a small TV with my uncles, brothers and father. My parents are Nigerian immigrants and they were particularly excited when US hosted the Cup in '94, giving us a chance to see a few international games in person.

At the time it was nearly impossible for us to view matches live and so it stood out when we travelled to a nearby pub with a satellite feed to see Nigeria play Argentina in the 1996 Olympic gold medal match. Through most of the 90s I was only vaguely aware of some results, clubs and players if they got featured in a small section of the newspaper or were famous enough to have trading cards available.

Those circumstances made me a perfect candidate for local support and I became an early fan of the nearest American team, DC United. More and more games from around the world started being featured sporadically on cable TV and I'd occasionally have a chance to see Bundesliga, Argentine league (forming an attachment to Boca Juniors from afar) and Serie A matches (though I wasn't drawn to any team partly cause I didn't like their National side very much). WC 98 and Euro 2000 also had a huge impact on me, as did a trip to Germany during which I hung out fans of 1860 Munich and eventually chose a German team to follow: BVB since i liked and bought their kit as a souvenir.

Around this time in the early 00s it gradually became easier for stateside fans of football to watch the Premier League every week and see highlights of almost all the games. My familiarity with the French and Dutch national teams and partiality to Wenger's principles led me toward supporting Arsenal but I tried to watch as much as I could, regardless who was playing.

Since then I've continued tracking Dortmund and Arsenal when possible, watching all the World Cups/Euros/African Cup of Nations/Copa America that get televised or streamed online, and attending DC United games with family and friends.

So...how does Leeds fit into all that? I have no simple answer and won't lie that I'm very knowledgeable about the history or intricacies of the club but it has popped up in my periphery while checking English football news & the whereabouts of figures I like. The rebrand attempt, Mike Grella and Jack Harrison's arrival, along with Bielsa's hiring and endearing qualities all piqued my interest. Once Jesse Marsch was hired I began watching all your games out of curiosity to see whether he'd keep you up. Adding Aaronson and Adams extended my interest a bit more but really McKennie's signing sealed the deal. He's one of my favourite players to watch and I expect Wes to succeed with LUFC even if Marsch gets sacked...so I'll still probably support the club and genuinely wish them well regardless of the manager at the helm.

With that in mind I've decided to at least lurk here and chime in a bit when I think I have an opinion worth sharing. Seems like a welcoming place but I'll try not to ruffle too many feathers and learn from you all :) Peace!
Welcome to our forum, Jay-Dizi :tup:
Corkwhites
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Corkwhites »

I'm new to the forum, but have been a Leeds fan since 1968. My interest in the club began when playing schoolboy football, we played in all white, as both our managers were Leeds united fans. I eventually coached my own schoolboy team, we had the same crop of players from under 10 right up to youth level. That clubs name is Leeds AFC Cork. Great little club, who have managed to produce players that represented Cork City FC. A team that Leeds United played on a couple of occasions. Anyway I hope to contribute only when necessary. MOT.
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Corkwhites wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:14 pm I'm new to the forum, but have been a Leeds fan since 1968. My interest in the club began when playing schoolboy football, we played in all white, as both our managers were Leeds united fans. I eventually coached my own schoolboy team, we had the same crop of players from under 10 right up to youth level. That clubs name is Leeds AFC Cork. Great little club, who have managed to produce players that represented Cork City FC. A team that Leeds United played on a couple of occasions. Anyway I hope to contribute only when necessary. MOT.

Welcome on board!
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ackermann »

Hi,
short introduction: daft username (Ackerman), 59 years old, male, born: Harrogate, living in Switzerland, Leeds fan since I
was 12 years old, other interests: philosophy, cigar box guitar (one to google), animal rights. MOT

All the best!

Cheers Ackerman
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ackermann »

Ackermann wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:42 pm Hi,
short introduction: daft username (Ackermann), 59 years old, male, born: Harrogate, living in Switzerland, Leeds fan since I
was 12 years old, other interests: philosophy, cigar box guitar (one to google), animal rights. MOT

All the best!

Cheers Ackerman
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Ackermann wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:42 pm Hi,
short introduction: daft username (Ackerman), 59 years old, male, born: Harrogate, living in Switzerland, Leeds fan since I

All the best!

Cheers Ackerman
My Mrs is massive into her animal rights, loads of celebrities of the same mindset communicate with her on Twitter.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Ackermann
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Ackermann »

Barlow Boy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:18 pm My Mrs is massive into her animal rights, loads of celebrities of the same mindset communicate with her on Twitter.
I personally keep distance to Twitter. A bit too toxic tendencies to be honest. The most `famous` animal rights activist on social media I know of is probably `Earthling Ed`. Many educational videos on Youtube. (I tend to question the motivation of so called celebrities. Too many will jump on any bandwagon just to stay in the limelight, but that`s only my view on these people. Also the reasons for people going vegan mustn`t be related to animal rights. Health is a big issue fpr many in regard to being vegan/vegetarian.)
In Switzerland we have so called direct democracy. So anyone can force a poll on almost anything if he can gather 100`000 people (signatures) backing it.
Whenever anything is related to animal rights on a political level I will distribute around 40`000 flyers etc. But almost impossible to change laws in regard to animal welfare. Money, money, money first counterargument as usual.
I personally am vegan (obviously), but nothing I make a big deal about. (Donating what I can afford another way to support animal right groups.)

Cheers

How does your Mrs try to put forward her animal right interests in a way that it makes a difference.
LeedsUnitedStates
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by LeedsUnitedStates »

I’m from the States. Have always loved football (hate calling it soccer over here). I have followed the Premier League for ages. Finally, we have games on television as of the last 5-7 years or so.

I didn’t want to choose a team such as Man U or Liverpool. That seemed like such a w**ker thing to do. I’m 46 and my earliest memory of Leeds is watching Gordon Strachan play. Also, I’ve always loved Leeds colors. So, finally gave my allegiance to Leeds this past year. Hope one day to see a game at Elland Road.

Thanks for having me!
leedsthat
Ballboy
Ballboy
Twitter: @leedsthat

Post by leedsthat »

Hey everyone! Checked in on the forum a number of times over the years but finally signed up. Hoping we can get something from Chelsea at the weekend MOT
1964white

Post by 1964white »

LeedsUnitedStates wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:11 pm I’m from the States. Have always loved football (hate calling it soccer over here). I have followed the Premier League for ages. Finally, we have games on television as of the last 5-7 years or so.

I didn’t want to choose a team such as Man U or Liverpool. That seemed like such a w**ker thing to do. I’m 46 and my earliest memory of Leeds is watching Gordon Strachan play. Also, I’ve always loved Leeds colors. So, finally gave my allegiance to Leeds this past year. Hope one day to see a game at Elland Road.

Thanks for having me!
Welcome to MOT, States :tup:
1964white

Post by 1964white »

leedsthat wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:46 am Hey everyone! Checked in on the forum a number of times over the years but finally signed up. Hoping we can get something from Chelsea at the weekend MOT
Welcome to the forum, Leedsthat :tup:
leedsthat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by leedsthat »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:53 am Welcome to the forum, Leedsthat :tup:
Thank you - much appreciated!
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

leedsthat wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:46 am Hey everyone! Checked in on the forum a number of times over the years but finally signed up. Hoping we can get something from Chelsea at the weekend MOT
Welcome to the forum pal, enjoy :tup:
leedsthat
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by leedsthat »

Barlow Boy wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:29 pm Welcome to the forum pal, enjoy :tup:
Cheers Barlow! Much appreciated mate.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

Welcome to the forum newbies. Hoping to interact with all of you sooner or later.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

Any Leeds fans from Canada on here? We (the wife, me and the dog) are moving to Canada next summer...
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

Hello
Finally signed up to vent my frustration .
But all i can do at the moment is sit in the corner rocking back and forward ,broken by bamfords right foot and the overpriced recruitment.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

airedale wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:55 pm Hello
Finally signed up to vent my frustration .
But all i can do at the moment is sit in the corner rocking back and forward ,broken by bamfords right foot and the overpriced recruitment.
Welcome to the forum pal, enjoy.

What a day to join in 😂😂😂