So, who's Leeds career is over now Marsch has gone (specifically JM's signings)?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

So, who's Leeds career is over now Marsch has gone (specifically JM's signings)?

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

This will be interesting to see. Are Aaronson/Kristiansen etc going to play a part here in the future or is it evident that they just are not good enough and can only play the Jesse way? There is a footballer in Aaronson but the USA manager didn't think so in the WC and he is very lightweight. Who else that Jesse bought in is at risk of being let go at the end of the season? Or, are JM's signings good enough for the Prem?
YorkshireSquare
Administrator
Administrator
Twitter: @motforum

Re: So, who's Leeds career is over now Marsch has gone (specifically JM's signings)?

Post by YorkshireSquare »

Doubt we will see as much of Greenwood
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: So, who's Leeds career is over now Marsch has gone (specifically JM's signings)?

Post by malcolmw »

Will depend on the new boss, but agree that Aaronson is very light for the Premier League. From the World Cup, I don't really rate McKennie - but would be happy to be proved wrong. Adams is strong and can be developed.

It will also be interesting to see what will happen to some of the old guard. Cooper? Struijk? Koch? Forshaw? Dallas? Wober has sort of shown up the rest of the defense as being very slow. We've looked much more solid (relatively speaking!) at the back since his inclusion.

I know some will disagree, but I am still an Ayling fan - you have to love his attitude and desire to get in amongst the opponents - anywhere on the pitch. I still prefer him to Kristensen at right back, but they back one another up well.

Upfront - the new guy is spoilt for choice. Should be a strong negotiating selling point with a top manager prospect, yes??
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

It's funny Victor. I was thinking to myself how long it would be, now that Jesse is gone, before people starting turning on our American players. Blaming them for everything wrong with the club. I don't think that's what you are doing here. But it was on my mind. Probably has something to do with the McKennie fat jokes...

So I guess the question is which players that have been signed since JM took over as Manager might be in trouble. First team players only. So here is my breakdown:

Brenden Aaronson - Started brightly. Looked like he might take the Premier League by storm. But apposition players figured out they could bully him and knock him the ball. He has been ineffective since. USA Manager started him in virtually every match in WQ Qualifying. In Qatar he was not in the starting eleven. He was behind Pulisic and Weah. But ahead of Gio Reyna. He appeared in every match. No shame there. He will find his mojo under the new Manager.

Rasmus Kristensen - He has struggled almost since day one. Bright moments but mostly not up to the level. I like his potential in a new system. But his future is questionable.

Marc Roca - Roca has been mostly fine this season. His progressive passing has tailed off. But he is quality. And I think he will thrive under a different system. He will be fine.

Tyer Adams - He's been our best player. People are calling for him to be our new Captain. He will be fine.

Wilfried Gnonto - His talent and potential are obvious. He will be fine.

Max Worber - Has looked solid. His organization skills and leadership are obvious. He will be fine.

Georginio Rutter - We simply don't know yet.

Weston McKennie - Has fought his way into the starting eleven of two different Champion's League clubs in Schalke and Juventus. I have no doubt that he will do the same under our new Manager. He will be fine.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
LeedsandtheBadSeeds
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LeedsandtheBadSeeds »

I almost hate to say it that - I pity JM - any decent manager with playmaking nous should be able to turn this team around. Players like Aaronsen, whose passing can be superb, are wasted in the hyper chaos of trying to quickly capitalize on a turnover. I don’t mind the press, it could be done moré intelligently than the blunt and insistent manner JM employed. We need refinement in the final third, and we definitely have talent. Tyler Adams is even wasted, he’s a force of nature and his development should lead to becoming an initiator of those plays, he’s shown glimpses of that talent.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Don't think anybody's Leeds career will be affected by the change. The only thing I can see is the continued progression to phase out championship players and build a stronger squad.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:24 am It's funny Victor. I was thinking to myself how long it would be, now that Jesse is gone, before people starting turning on our American players. Blaming them for everything wrong with the club. I don't think that's what you are doing here. But it was on my mind. Probably has something to do with the McKennie fat jokes...

So I guess the question is which players that have been signed since JM took over as Manager might be in trouble. First team players only. So here is my breakdown:

Brenden Aaronson - Started brightly. Looked like he might take the Premier League by storm. But apposition players figured out they could bully him and knock him the ball. He has been ineffective since. USA Manager started him in virtually every match in WQ Qualifying. In Qatar he was not in the starting eleven. He was behind Pulisic and Weah. But ahead of Gio Reyna. He appeared in every match. No shame there. He will find his mojo under the new Manager.

Rasmus Kristensen - He has struggled almost since day one. Bright moments but mostly not up to the level. I like his potential in a new system. But his future is questionable.

Marc Roca - Roca has been mostly fine this season. His progressive passing has tailed off. But he is quality. And I think he will thrive under a different system. He will be fine.

Tyer Adams - He's been our best player. People are calling for him to be our new Captain. He will be fine.

Wilfried Gnonto - His talent and potential are obvious. He will be fine.

Max Worber - Has looked solid. His organization skills and leadership are obvious. He will be fine.

Georginio Rutter - We simply don't know yet.

Weston McKennie - Has fought his way into the starting eleven of two different Champion's League clubs in Schalke and Juventus. I have no doubt that he will do the same under our new Manager. He will be fine.
You're definitely a glass half full guy Paul, so i'll give you my glass half empty :

Rasmus - Easily exposed and decision making v suspect, there's probably better RB's in Div 1.
Brendan - Looking like another Orta wet dream, apparently Clown has been 'scouting' him for years, this guy needs good players around him to benefit his game or he'll struggle and will disappear, not one that looks up for a fight.
Roca - Pedestrian pace, not enough running off the ball, hides and doesn't make himself available enough, Orta wet dream ? Probably.
Tyler - The current pick of the bunch, works v hard, not a lot of vision but definitely one to have in a 'team'
Gnonto - Showing good early signs, potential rough diamond.
Max - Not seen any glaring mistakes yet, not seen enough of him to decide if he's a ball playing CH, timing and placement looking ok, early days.
Rooter - Not seen enough of him.
Weston - Definitely needs to shed some kg, looked 2yds too slow when he came on, and i'm presuming he'll be a lot better player for it especially in his role, needs a Bert training regime, still too early.

Like a lot of players this is gonna depend on whose hands these players are gonna end up in, quality players will always shine through, some need a lot more work, i think most are the latter.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:21 am Don't think anybody's Leeds career will be affected by the change. The only thing I can see is the continued progression to phase out championship players and build a stronger squad.
This ...
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
BradWhite
First Team
First Team

Post by BradWhite »

The right experienced manager will get this sorted, we have a far better fuller squad than last season and we have time to turn things around. Stop playing Struijk as a LB would be a start, defending set pieces and being more aggressive and clinical on the attack.
Weston looks like he's had a lock in at Greggs.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:21 am Don't think anybody's Leeds career will be affected by the change. The only thing I can see is the continued progression to phase out championship players and build a stronger squad.
I agree with this AJS.
I would like to add though : Hopefully, the next manager will have heard of, and possibly seen some of Leeds Utd's games over the last few seasons to allow him to make an informed judgement of most of the first team squad, including those loaned out and why.
Then, in the coming months, slowly get his own style and tactics incorporated with what he deems best going forward, whilst understanding perfectly, why, certain players are inconsistent to say the least, then weeding them out.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:24 am I was thinking to myself how long it would be, now that Jesse is gone, before people starting turning on our American players. Blaming them for everything wrong with the club.
Getting really tired of the American special pleading now; the internet is awash with Americans saying Marsch was only sacked because he's American, and the American players aren't rated for the same reason.

The manager, and every player, have to stand on their own merits, wherever they are from. Can we leave this Americans vs the rest bollocks behind now, please, and move on.
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Not sure I'd be writing any of them off. Rasmus and Brendan may well be season 2 players; Rasmus not up to the pace of the Prem yet but that will come, Brendan has talent but is too easily bullied off the ball, needs to bulk up a little and stay on his feet. Adams is fine, as is Roca (who I'd like to see as a deep lying playmaker, given his supposed passing range). McKennie will be fine when he gets fit and the guys up top all have potential. New coach will have a decent, if not spectacular, squad at his disposal. Just needs to find us a LB
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

SaraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 am Getting really tired of the American special pleading now; the internet is awash with Americans saying Marsch was only sacked because he's American, and the American players aren't rated for the same reason.

The manager, and every player, have to stand on their own merits, wherever they are from. Can we leave this Americans vs the rest bollocks behind now, please, and move on.
One for all and all for one who wears Leeds United shirt.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 am One for all and all for one who wears Leeds United shirt.
Exactly.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

whiteswan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 am One for all and all for one who wears Leeds United shirt.

As long as Orta doesn't don one.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
hector

Post by hector »

Once we don't have half the team around the ball all the time... The players like Roca and Aaronson will have players in positions to pass to, so should start improving
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

Probably not as much as "who's career is over" as "who might put a flaming shift in more often to prove their worth to the new manager.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Victor_Notts-17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Victor_Notts-17 »

My thoughts: I think Adams/Roca/Gnonto/Wober/Sinisterra are fine. McKennie/Rutter: too soon to tell. I do think we vastly overpaid for Rutter! MASSIVELY! What fool spends £35m on an unproven forward at age 20 when you are in a relegation battle? Absolute madness! Aaronson needs to buk up and grow a pair. Rasmus is not this level in my mind. Harrison who runs hot or cold has been messed about too much and will probably ask to leave at the end of the season. There's a good player in him with the right manager

Daniel James: why oh why oh why did we spend £25m on a headless sprinter? Never good enough for them or us. He's only a half-decent Chamionship player.

The rest barring Forshaw are and Firpo (for me) alright. I still rate Bamford and he does what he does very well. I don't buy into this he can only play without a crowd bs. A fit Bamford is a very intelligent and quality footballer and he can score from virtually anywhere when he's on form.

I can't think of any more players right now so I may add to this later. I think everyone will start clean under a new manager. Some players really need to stand up and show is they have a pair: Struijk needs to go back to CB and he needs to step up a rung or two.

My 2c's worth...
Last edited by Victor_Notts-17 on Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Doubtful any will be over at Leeds overall the signings are still better than what was there before.
Aaronson perhaps can be allowed to develop properly as an advanced playmaker.
Gnonto and Sini are quality already.
Wober, McK and Rutter are unproven but look very decent.
Rober is fine.
Rasmus is perhaps the only one but like the rest overseas player, first season in Prem... should settle in.
Roca is ok
Adams very ok with a lot of improvement to come.
Jesse had good players.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
theBlingGoblin
Ballboy
Ballboy

Post by theBlingGoblin »

SaraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:34 am Getting really tired of the American special pleading now; the internet is awash with Americans saying Marsch was only sacked because he's American, and the American players aren't rated for the same reason.

Awash? Where are you seeing this? I visit the popular American soccer forums/channels and I see virtually none of it. Maybe... 1 comment out of 10 or 20. Some people wish he hadn't been, but people get why Marsch was let go.

When it comes to players, there has certainly been some grumbling about the very short leash that Pulisic (when healthy) was getting at Chelsea, under Tuchel. But, generally speaking, this isn't the 90's or early 2000's. American talent in the PL seems to be considered the same as anyone else... and I think most American fans get that.