The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th February) - Could Corberan be the right man for the job?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th February) - Could Corberan be the right man for the job?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 7th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Could Corberan be the right man for the job?

West Brom head coach Carlos Corberan has emerged as the front runner (3/1) to take the Elland Road hot seat following the dismissal of Jesse Marsch. The 39 year old has made quite a name for himself since leaving Thorp Arch in the Summer of 2020 to pursue his managerial career. He was bought to Leeds by Victor Orta (nothing to do with Marcelo Bielsa). It was Orta's vision that the former Valencia shot stopper would eventually replace Bielsa as head coach, but it is believed that the 49ers had other ideas's.

Since arriving at the end of October last year, Corberan has transformed the baggies. They were bottom of Championship when he took over, with 14 points from 18 games. In his 11 games in charge, the West Midlands outfit have picked up a further 30 points, leaving them 6th in the table.

Whilst undoubtedly talented, is it too soon in his fledgling managerial career to take charge of a Premier League relegation dog fight? Second favourite is Ange Postecoglou (14/1). The Aussie has revived the fortunes at Celtic since taking charge 18 months ago, but has no experience in English football. Former Spurs and PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino is third favourite (also 14/1), but would he come to Elland Road?

Armas takes temporary charge for Old Trafford test

Chris Armas alongside Michael Skubala and Paco Gallardo have been put in caretaker charge at Elland Road, and will lead Leeds out tomorrow night at Old Trafford. Rene Maric, and all other of Marsch's backroom staff have already departed.

Armas, who only joined the coaching staff a fortnight ago, has a managerial record dating back to 2008. He is best known for his five month stint at Manchester Utd, working as No 2 under Ralf Rangnick. Michael Skubala remains as U21 Manager, but has stepped up to assist Armas in Rene Maric's absence. Prior to arriving at Elland Road last Summer, he had spent almost 13 years working for the FA, Managing the England U18's, and the National futsal teams (similar to indoor 5-a-side). Michal Pujdak, who was bought in by Bielsa nearly 3 years ago, temporarily steps up to U21 duties at Thorp Arch.

Paco Gallardo only arrived in December, but is a well thought coach. After hanging up his boots in 2014, he went for his coaching badges straight away, and joined the Savilla youth set up. During his six year stay, he ended up managing both their Senior C, and B teams.

Expect Leeds to move pretty quickly

Football journalist Tim Thornton expects the Elland Road hierarchy to move quickly and appoint their new head coach, possibly before the weeks out. The Sky Sports news front man believes Messrs Radrizzani and Orta will already have a shortlist of candidates, and would have already sounded them out, prior to Jesse Marsch's dismissal.

What I will say is that Leeds will have a contingency plan. They had a contingency plan when Marcelo Bielsa left the club a year ago, Jesse Marsch was appointed very quickly, they will have a contingency plan again,” “So they will have their candidate in mind and I expect them to move pretty quickly on this.

The one name that’s being linked at the moment is a familiar name to Leeds United fans, it’s Carlos Corberan, who was part of the set up at Leeds when Marcelo Bielsa was in charge. He coached the under-21s before being promoted to work alongside Bielsa.

He then went to Huddersfield and had a lot of success there before going to Olympiacos and then onto West Brom where he’s hit the ground running and done really good things there. “Of course, he’s in a job at the moment so it remains to be seen whether Leeds will make an approach for him but he’s the one name that’s really emerged as an early frontrunner for this job.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th February) Is Corberan the right man for the job

Post by Chilli D »

I don't think the club will consider Corberan at the moment. He's doing an excellent job at West Brom but he's still fairly new to management and hasn't got any top flight experience. Definitely one to be considered in the future I reckon.
Who they will go for, I have no idea. As stated elsewhere, my choice would be Vincent Kompany.

The choice to not remove Armas is a strange one considering it was JM's choice to bring him in. However I expect the new manager will bring in his own backroom staff so he'll probably be gone anyway.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th February) - Could Corberan be the right man for the job?

Post by Ellandback1 »

I don't think Corberan has the experience for a Premier League dogfight. Bielsa would be a backwards step, though I would take Pochettino, but would he come. I reckon it will be Gerrard.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th February) - Could Corberan be the right man for the job?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Iraola was asked about Leeds last night after Rayo Vallecano's 2-0 win against Almeria last night.

He said:
“Football belongs to the footballers, we are not that important. The players make us look better and I am lucky to have players who are showing their level." "If I didn’t have them, I wouldn’t be achieving anything. I could also use that when we’re not getting the results! But I am clear about my role, they are the ones who are achieving this.”
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

EA26162D-4BC6-4920-9811-D2A6209D85ED.png
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

2 horse race unless we have some left field idea.
Isn’t Corberan a massive risk. Prefer someone who’s managed in a top league and Iraola’s cv is far more impressive.
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 7th February) Is Corberan the right man for the job

Post by Leeds1000 »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:29 am I don't think the club will consider Corberan at the moment. He's doing an excellent job at West Brom but he's still fairly new to management and hasn't got any top flight experience. Definitely one to be considered in the future I reckon.
Who they will go for, I have no idea. As stated elsewhere, my choice would be Vincent Kompany.

The choice to not remove Armas is a strange one considering it was JM's choice to bring him in. However I expect the new manager will bring in his own backroom staff so he'll probably be gone anyway.
Kompany has even less experience in coaching i think.

Its a difficult one for the club. Do they go with experience until the end of the season and then have a rethink long term in the summer. Could we start to see divisions in the boardroom about the direction of the club knowing that the 49ers are taking over soon. Other than Bielsa the club has got a rotten record on appointing managers.

How much ambition have the 49ers got for the club. And would they be able to sell their ambition to a decent coach like Pochettino? Is his stock back to where it was around the time took the Southampton job??. Bielsa would surely give him the lowdown. We have some fantastic prospects and Poch would get the best out of them imo.

Fascinating stuff.
Last edited by Leeds1000 on Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:53 am 2 horse race unless we have some left field idea.
Isn’t Corberan a massive risk. Prefer someone who’s managed in a top league and Iraola’s cv is far more impressive.
Almost every manager we have appointed in the last 10 years has come completely out of left field. It's never one of the bookies favourites who gets the job.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:06 am Almost every manager we have appointed in the last 10 years has come completely out of left field. It's never one of the bookies favourites who gets the job.
True. But they are generally reported as having contact with these two plus Raul who turned us down.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Corboran, Kompany, Gerrard etc don't have the experience or the credentials. Not sure Postecoglou or Knutsen do either.

From the bookies list, Pochettino or Iraola look the best options. I don't think Bielsa would come.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Whoever comes in will surely implement a different system, getting the best out of a decent squad at their disposal.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:20 am Whoever comes in will surely implement a different system
You'd have to assume that's a given.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Who would make the best MOT Manager?
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:18 am Corboran, Kompany, Gerrard etc don't have the experience or the credentials. Not sure Postecoglou or Knutsen do either.

From the bookies list, Pochettino or Iraola look the best options. I don't think Bielsa would come.
Pochettino would be a top appointment, can't see him coming to Leeds, but you never know as the 49'ers obviously mean business & will be influential on the decision-making of our future coach.

Apparently they wanted Jesse gone early January, but it was blocked by Radz & co.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

SaraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:18 am Corboran, Kompany, Gerrard etc don't have the experience or the credentials. Not sure Postecoglou or Knutsen do either.

I bet you've broke many a mans heart you.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:25 am Who would make the best MOT Manager?
Someone who has been involved in business/managerial roles for the majority of their working life.

That has put me in the running :P
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:25 am Who would make the best MOT Manager?
As in office manager?
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white

Post by 1964white »

SaraM wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:24 am You'd have to assume that's a given.
I suspect Gnonto, Sinisterra, Summerville & Harrison, players who like to run at defences can't wait to play in acres of space.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

Kennyb41 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:30 am I bet you've broke many a mans heart you.
I don't think he would, and even if he did, I'd have mixed feelings about it tbh.

On the one hand I would be hugely excited to see what he could achieve with consistent backing, and I would love a return to his ethos and style of playing football.

On the other, I would fear the consequences if it didn't work, and would hate to see his legacy here tarnished. The way some fans have turned on him since he was sacked makes me think we would never have that unity and belief again.
Sara
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Sara »

1964white wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:38 am I suspect Gnonto, Sinisterra, Summerville & Harrison, players who like to run at defences can't wait to play in acres of space.
Yes, absolutely. Makes you wonder if Harrison came back because he found out Marsch was being sacked!