Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:51 pm
omg not again......move on.....
Intersting that 16 hours after the thread had had its last posting, and was well on its way to disappearing, you brought it back to life......
Wasn't going to comment but suppose this feels the best place to do it now.
Despite the horrendous run under Bielsa I still had 100% confidence in him. I felt we had enough to survive, comfortably, and then in the summer it would be a case of learning lessons, improving the quality of the small squad (if it was still to be 18 then 18 first team quality players rather than 13 or 14). We would then kick on again and be top half this season with Bielsa again getting the best out of players and even with KP and Raphinha gone we would improve, KP going would have forced us to buy someone suitable for the position and hopefully less injury prone.
If we'd gone down I feel we would have bounced straight back up. Given Bielsa's two seasons in the championship were so great I had no fears that we wouldn't. Okay we might have lost a few players but it wasn't like Bielsa inherited a great squad or bought his way out of the championship. As such even if we'd have gone down we'd have come back stronger - with the same scenario of learning from the mistakes and spending the money wisely to have a better group of 18 players.
When we survived, under Marsch, I wasn't ecstatic. I was hugely concerned we'd just delayed the inevitable and we'd be in big trouble this season. My hope was that either Marsch would be much better than I feared he was or that he'd be seen as the numpty he was fairly quickly and we'd appoint someone to steady the ship and then improve us. When we were leading 2-0 v Southampton and then beat Chelsea I hoped my concerns had been foolish and Marsch was capable of improvingus. Sadly it wasn't to be. The inevitable happened and yet the board dithered. As such we are in a horrendous position. Likely to go down and no real confidence we'll come back up.
As Liam and Noel said, 'Don't Look Back In Anger', there is no point, but the sacking of Bielsa has in all probability set us back to where we were pre Garry Monk. Sadly too many fans didn't see what we had and what we could still have had. They turned their knives onto Bielsa and whilst Orta and Rads were ultimately the ones who delivered the fatal cut it was the actions of those fans that let it happen.