Squad Needs: What's missing?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Squad Needs: What's missing?

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

After the Wolves win, I'm pretty confident now that we will stay up. Someone started a thread on our squad if we go down. I'm thinking about our squad based on staying up.

We have to add year on year to establish ourselves as a premier league team. We can't replace every position. So what should be our priority in the summer? (assuming we stay up)

1. An attacking midfielder. Not so much a number 10, but someone who can play that advanced midfield role. We'll probably have McKennie and Adams next season. But we need someone that can do that link up between midfield and attack. The Klich role. Aaronson is worth sticking with as a squad player. But he's better out wide. He's too lightweight to play as a bona fide midfielder.

2. A goal scorer. Rodrigo and Bamford might still be here next season. But we need to looking for the No. 9 that will take us through the next 5 years. Rutter looks like he'll play behind a striker or out wide. Joffy looks better as a supporting striker and might not make the premier league grade next season. I'd want a real striker, around 20 years old, that can start on the bench and push the other two for a starting spot.

3. A left back. We've said it all season long. And Firpo is looking a lot better since his return. I'm tempted to say stick with Firpo, Strujik, and Wober as left backs next season. But we need to work on a long term solution. There isn't one in the Under 23's. Like the striker (above) I'd be looking for a youngster that could start on the bench and challenge for a starting spot.

That's it. My 3 positions with a budget of around £20-30 million on each. Hopefully we'll have the money available to do it.

I could see us being forced to sell one player. Players like Gnonto, Meslier, Summerville. I'm not selling any by choice, but they might get lured away to bigger clubs. I'd hate to lose Meslier. But if we did, we could find a decent replacement for much less money than we'd receive. I do think we're heavy on wide men, and could afford to lose one without a direct replacement. And of course there's players like James, Llorente and others that we could recoup some cash on.

I'm happy with our options in other positions for now:

Right back - if Ayling or Rasmus aren't the answer, I have faith in Cody Drameh
Center backs: Koch, Wober, Strujik, Cooper, Cresswell, Monteiro,
Midfielders: Adams, McKennie, Roca, Gyabi
Wide men: Gnonto, Sinisterra, Summerville, Aaronson, Rutter, Perkins
Strikers: Rodrigo, Bamford
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Re: Squad Needs: What's missing?

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:08 pm After the Wolves win, I'm pretty confident now that we will stay up. Someone started a thread on our squad if we go down. I'm thinking about our squad based on staying up.

We have to add year on year to establish ourselves as a premier league team. We can't replace every position. So what should be our priority in the summer? (assuming we stay up)

1. An attacking midfielder. Not so much a number 10, but someone who can play that advanced midfield role. We'll probably have McKennie and Adams next season. But we need someone that can do that link up between midfield and attack. The Klich role. Aaronson is worth sticking with as a squad player. But he's better out wide. He's too lightweight to play as a bona fide midfielder.

2. A goal scorer. Rodrigo and Bamford might still be here next season. But we need to looking for the No. 9 that will take us through the next 5 years. Rutter looks like he'll play behind a striker or out wide. Joffy looks better as a supporting striker and might not make the premier league grade next season. I'd want a real striker, around 20 years old, that can start on the bench and push the other two for a starting spot.

3. A left back. We've said it all season long. And Firpo is looking a lot better since his return. I'm tempted to say stick with Firpo, Strujik, and Wober as left backs next season. But we need to work on a long term solution. There isn't one in the Under 23's. Like the striker (above) I'd be looking for a youngster that could start on the bench and challenge for a starting spot.

That's it. My 3 positions with a budget of around £20-30 million on each. Hopefully we'll have the money available to do it.

I could see us being forced to sell one player. Players like Gnonto, Meslier, Summerville. I'm not selling any by choice, but they might get lured away to bigger clubs. I'd hate to lose Meslier. But if we did, we could find a decent replacement for much less money than we'd receive. I do think we're heavy on wide men, and could afford to lose one without a direct replacement. And of course there's players like James, Llorente and others that we could recoup some cash on.

What's Roca done this season to justify being retained for next season ?

And We need a proven goal scoring no 9 - and that man is not Bamford. Even if he stays fit for most of next season I still wouldn't keep him given that he is statistically the worst finisher out of all the no 9s in the PL right now.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:30 pm What's Roca done this season to justify being retained for next season ?

And We need a proven goal scoring no 9 - and that man is not Bamford. Even if he stays fit for most of next season I still wouldn't keep him given that he is statistically the worst finisher out of all the no 9s in the PL right now.
On Roca, I wouldn't care if we sold him. Gyabi and Gray being a year older give us more depth.

Pretty sure we'll have Rodrigo for another year. And unlikely to be able to sell Bamford. That's why I'd be looking at a young option. No reason why that youngster shouldn't be able to challenge the other two for a starting spot though.
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:35 pm On Roca, I wouldn't care if we sold him. Gyabi and Gray being a year older give us more depth.

Pretty sure we'll have Rodrigo for another year. And unlikely to be able to sell Bamford. That's why I'd be looking at a young option. No reason why that youngster shouldn't be able to challenge the other two for a starting spot though.
Fair enough. I wouldn't retain Bamford though given that to take him off the wage bill on his 70K a week would free things up to bring someone else in - even if it's a loan signing of a no 9.

He didn't cost much - let him go for £1m if need be. It's his wages that's the real expense.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

CHAPELALLMAN wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:45 pm Fair enough. I wouldn't retain Bamford though given that to take him off the wage bill on his 70K a week would free things up to bring someone else in - even if it's a loan signing of a no 9.

He didn't cost much - let him go for £1m if need be. It's his wages that's the real expense.
Regardless of whether you back him or not (I obviously do more than you do), I just don't think anyone else would take him until he's shown he can stay fit for a few months. Maybe if he stays fit between now and the end of the season. But I doubt it and see him being around next season.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Like you I think that if we stay up we'd keep Rodrigo and Bamford next season. Both have proved they can play the no.9 although both are prone to injury and being out of form. The hope would be that one of the youngsters could really push on but given their lack of game time this season I don't think any are near yet.

I can't really see any of our players being lured away, if we stay up. The likes of Gnonto, Summerville and others wouldn't be guaranteed first team football if they moved to a team higher up in the league. As such why would they want to move? The only answer there would be for the money and if they'd rather take the money than be a starter for us then I wouldn't want to keep them. Possible exception would be Adams as a few 'big name' teams have supposedly been after him and it might be that he could go and be a regular.

I still see Aaronsen as being a no.10. I am probably his biggest critic on here but that for me is borne out of frustration because I think he could be an excellent no.10. If you compare him to Pablo then Pablo had the ability to see a pass and play the pass. Sometimes it wouldn't work but when it did it usually created a goal on a plate. Aaronsen needs to make his decisions quicker and see the passes. I do think part of the problem at present is a huge lack of confidence and because of it he is overthinking and taking too long to make his mind up rather than playing by instinct. It may be the Red Bull training that is too blame for this because I would imagine playing this way for Red Bull teams you would never know where your teammate would be. If not then maybe Rutter could be the man for this spot. He has the ability to get the ball and create space for himself where there is none, and this is essential in the no.10 role unless you read the game so well that you just always seem able to simply find space (ala Pablo, Paul Sc*mbag Scholes etc).

The main thing for me would be a central midfielder that can run the game for us, tidy in possession and able to create and score a few goals, a Gary McAllister type or even a Gordon Strachan type - or failing that even someone in the ilk of Carlton Palmer able to run with the ball through the middle and turn defence into attack (although ideally with a bit better end product too).
CHAPELALLMAN
Manager
Manager

Post by CHAPELALLMAN »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:49 pm Regardless of whether you back him or not (I obviously do more than you do), I just don't think anyone else would take him until he's shown he can stay fit for a few months. Maybe if he stays fit between now and the end of the season. But I doubt it and see him being around next season.
I think someone would take him on, as like some Leeds fans tend to do, they would still hark back to that first season back in the PL. His stock hasn't reduced to nil yet I would say. If he had another long term injury it definitely would.

It would be a punt for someone - but for say 2 or 3m some would consider it a worthwhile gamble. Otherwise the club will be committed to his £3.6m a year wages for I think three more seasons.

At the end of the day, he scored 2 goals last season, and so far this season 2 more goals. That's for an outlay of £7.2m in wages by the club over two seasons - so far that works out at £1.8m a goal...
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:08 pm After the Wolves win, I'm pretty confident now that we will stay up. Someone started a thread on our squad if we go down. I'm thinking about our squad based on staying up.

2. Fernandez, will be 20 next season

3. Actually we do have a very highly rated young under 21 at the club

I do agree we need an AMF but that could easily be Sinisterra
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:37 am 2. Fernandez, will be 20 next season

3. Actually we do have a very highly rated young under 21 at the club

I do agree we need an AMF but that could easily be Sinisterra
2. My thinking would be Mateo Joseph gets a loan move to the championship next season.

3. Connor Ferguson? Not sure he's proved himself in the 23's yet.

As for the AMC. I think we have a few players that can play as the 2nd striker - Sinisterra, Gnonto, Rutter, Rodrigo, Gelhardt, Gnonto. And that might be a decent set up on some days. But other days I think we need someone that's a midfield 10. Weasel said a Gary Mac. That's exactly the kind of thing we need.
hector

Post by hector »

There was a player yesterday for Wolves that could do the job

Nevez ?? is that his name
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Agree with 1 and 2

1. Alex Scott, the Guernsey Grealish :love:
2. Experienced striker with composure in front of goal

Then we'd need:
3. Battle hardened CM
4. Experienced GK
5. Right CB

I'd sell Meslier for big money and imagine Koch would be sold too.

If course this is all hypothetical, still nowhere near safe.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:33 am 2. My thinking would be Mateo Joseph gets a loan move to the championship next season.

3. Connor Ferguson? Not sure he's proved himself in the 23's yet.

As for the AMC. I think we have a few players that can play as the 2nd striker - Sinisterra, Gnonto, Rutter, Rodrigo, Gelhardt, Gnonto. And that might be a decent set up on some days. But other days I think we need someone that's a midfield 10. Weasel said a Gary Mac. That's exactly the kind of thing we need.
3 .We had a report he was on the verge of the first team squad a couple of weeks ago

Mateo Joseph fits your criteria for a 20 year old striker and he's been in the system a while. Finding a 20 year old finished striker is a bit like hunting a unicorn, and we already found a 19 year old one what are the odds of finding a second. Although Orta is extremely good at that so you never know

McKennie fits your definition of a Gary Mac type player almost to a tee.... if he stays
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

faaip wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:09 am 3 .We had a report he was on the verge of the first team squad a couple of weeks ago
:tup: That'd be good to see.
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Hard to consider next season and squad makeup as there are many unanswered questions around players like Dallas, the loanees, even Forshaw - but this is my view on regular starters.

We still need a LB as a priority, a LB that can attack and defend.
CM - Roca is not suited to playing in the EPL to the point where he can have a positive impact from what I have seen thus far. May need another on top of what we have.
I wouldn’t retain Bamford on our current style of play. We need someone with physicality who can hold up the ball. Bamford reminds me of a poor man’s Sheringham. Intelligent player but lacks his physicality.

Never been completely convinced by Rodrigo tbh - but he can produce a bit of class at key moments.

If Mes goes and he is on Chelsea’s shopping list we will need another keeper. Robles is not a No1.
Clacton White
First Team
First Team

Post by Clacton White »

Cody Drameh must be worth a go next season , I think at best Ayling should be third choice or a sub.
An attacking midfielder or Gary Mac type , someone who sees the game , can control and dictate.I don't think there are many of those now .
Generally , club wise .....a decent director of football, someone who actually knows what they are doing and what player types are needed .....and one who is actually professional and doesn't get involved with arguements with fans 😀
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

DDB220 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:23 am Hard to consider next season and squad makeup as there are many unanswered questions around players like Dallas, the loanees, even Forshaw - but this is my view on regular starters.
Well if we're pinning all our hopes on Dallas, it'll prove we've learned absolutely nothing. 32 years old and not played for a year.... no doubt Kinnear will declare him a "new signing".
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:21 am Well if we're pinning all our hopes on Dallas, it'll prove we've learned absolutely nothing. 32 years old and not played for a year.... no doubt Kinnear will declare him a "new signing".

Hardly see how a guy mentioning one of our best players in recent times becomes "pinning all our hopes on" :roll:

How old are Modric and Milner.? How long did Zidane and Beckham play?

Some on here would have binned them once he turned 30
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 am Hardly see how a guy mentioning one of our best players in recent times becomes "pinning all our hopes on" :roll:

How old are Modric and Milner.? How long did Zidane and Beckham play?

Some on here would have binned them once he turned 30
Why do some on here always try to compare our players with all time greats? Please give another example of someone over 30 who's returned to the top level after over a year out injured. We're not a charity chase, we've already gone down that route for Forshaw.
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

SG90 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:37 am Why do some on here always try to compare our players with all time greats? Please give another example of someone over 30 who's returned to the top level after over a year out injured. We're not a charity chase, we've already gone down that route for Forshaw.
Dallas is one of this current batch of greats so why, he looks after himself gives his all and can play anywhere.

Ibrahimovic.

You can give up now
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Irish Ian wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:49 am Dallas is one of this current batch of greats so why, he looks after himself gives his all and can play anywhere.

Ibrahimovic.

You can give up now
4 games one goal, which was a penalty, and behind Giroud at the present time, who was rested for that game. Hardly screams top level.