The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 20th March) Leeds victorious in six goal thriller

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 20th March) Leeds victorious in six goal thriller

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Monday 20th March, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds victorious in six goal thriller

Leeds climbed to 14th in the table after defeating Wolves in a six goal thriller at Molineux over the weekend. The goal tally tells just half the story; throw in seven yellow cards, two reds, a 40 yard lob and more VAR controversy than you can shake a stick at, and you've got yourself a classic, albeit with a rare happy ending for Yorkshire's finest.

Leeds settled their nerves early on, after Jack Harrison blasted them ahead on six minutes, after great work from Gnonto. The Italian maestro made easy work of Semedo, as he collected the ball on the left wing, before cutting the ball back from the by-line. Harrison skipped past Jonny's diving tackle, before striking the ball first time, into the right hand corner of the net.

They doubled their advantage just after the interval. Roca's corner fell nicely to Luke Ayling, unmarked on the far post. His close range diving header, followed by his trademark cartwheel, and forward roll may not get him into the British gymnastic squad, but it sent 3000 travelling Leeds fans delirious.

Thirteen minutes later Kristensen got in on the act. He had only been on the pitch sixty seconds, when he robbed Jonny of the ball, deep in the Wolves penalty area, after a long hopeful diagonal ball from Harrison. The young Dane twisted and turned past Kilman, before firing Leeds 3-0 up with less than half an hour remaining.

A few minutes later, Wolves gave themselves hope, when Jonny's 40 yard lob reduced the deficit to two, when Meslier got caught in no-mans-land, after coming out of his area to head the ball clear. This was followed very quickly with a second after Cunha's strike took a wicked deflection off Wober. Leeds quickly regrouped, as Wolves threw everything at them for the final 15 minutes.

Their (Wolves) quest for an equaliser went from Ambitious to almost impossible when Jonny received a straight red card for almost breaking Luke Ayling's leg in half with five minutes remaining. To rub salt into the wound, Leeds grabbed a forth deep into stoppage time, when Summerville released Rodrigo on the edge of the penalty area. He skipped past Lemina, before chipping the ball past Sa.

Replays showed that Roca had tugged Traore's shorts in the build up to the goal, which incensed the Wolves bench, leading to a melee, in which unused substitute Matheus Nunez was shown a straight red card.

When did wolves reach to this level of entitlement

When did wolves reach to this level of entitlement. Their behaviour both on and off the pitch at the weekend, not only shows disrespect towards Leeds, but should bring their conduct under review with the FA.
Whilst many fans up and down the County are of the opinion that ref's are out to get em, Leeds would have a stronger case than most to evidence this; yet you don't see them wining about it, to the same degree of their West Midland opponents.

Decisions will not always go your way. If truth be known, Dawson should have been sent off for a second bookable offence during the first half. He was either trying to choke or sexually assault Patrick Bamford, both of which are pretty strong arguments for a booking, but having already received a yellow card, the former Spurs man was let off.

Did they have a strong case for a penalty - debatable! Should they have been given a free kick in the lead up to Leeds fourth goal - probably, but for Julen Lopetegui to verbally attack the officials like he did in his post match press conference, and say he could write a book about decisions that have gone against them is screaming for an FA charge - surely?

Llorente nightmare continues

Roma may be having second thoughts about purchasing Diego Llorente. With 47 minutes of game time to his name since joining in January, the 29yo made a rare appearance at the weekend as a half time substitute against Lazio. However, 33 minutes later, having gone 1-0 down, the substitute got substituted. In December, Leeds extended his contract to the Summer of 2026 at the cost of £45,000 a week.

Last edited by Ellandback1 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 20th March) Leeds victorious in six goal thriller

Post by The Subhuman »

1. How do Roma play Real Sociadad in a weekend game?
2. It was a game flow substitution. Ibanez was red carded first half ,Llorente came on for Dybala start of the second half, to restore Roma's defensive numbers
3. Lazio score 20 minutes later, nowhere near Llorente who's playing left side
4. With 12 minutes to go Roma take off a defender (Llorente) for a striker. One assumes to try to get the goal back
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Monday 20th March) Leeds victorious in six goal thriller

Post by Irish Ian »

Did they have a strong case for a penalty ( ie lets debate this) answer debatable

Comedy central only topped by Faaip fact checking the Llorente bollocks

Wolves entitled.. arent we all?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:51 am Did they have a strong case for a penalty ( ie lets debate this) answer debatable

Comedy central only topped by Faaip fact checking the Llorente bollocks

Wolves entitled.. arent we all?
Took the bullet for the forum, someone had to watch the Roma/Lazio highlights... I think it's true to say Llorente is likely to be back at ER next season but he's not really been used yet by Roma, I'd imagine he was loaned as cover and probably needs an injury to get extended game time. He's not playing badly at all, he's just hardly playing.

We saw this with Cresswell, started well due to a Millwall CB injury, dropped on that players return. Got back in for one reason or another and hasn't looked back..

No disrespect to the OP, we all post stuff wrong at times. I kept calling Tyler Adams Tyler Lewis for some unfathomable reason, a few times... The slightly negative spin I assume is down to E&B though
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I am confused by the suggestion that Meslier was caught in no man’s land. A few during and post game claim he made a mistake by not letting the ball run through to him. I have watched this a number of times and it is tight to suggest the ball would have made the 18 yard box before the wolves player or even one of our defenders converged. What Meslier did was the right call, he took responsibility and made a good headed clearance. The calamity afterwards is Roca just playing a nothing ball, and Jonny executing the lob expertly.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am I am confused by the suggestion that Meslier was caught in no man’s land. A few during and post game claim he made a mistake by not letting the ball run through to him. I have watched this a number of times and it is tight to suggest the ball would have made the 18 yard box before the wolves player or even one of our defenders converged. What Meslier did was the right call, he took responsibility and made a good headed clearance. The calamity afterwards is Roca just playing a nothing ball, and Jonny executing the lob expertly.
I agree, it was good anticipation by Mes and that’s what you want from your keeper sometimes. What is Roca doing? Even he doesn’t know tbh.
Only thing I’d say is he should have got back to his goal line a little quicker. He sort of ambled back.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Love that first goal, up there for goal of the season for me as a great team effort

Ayling throw
Koch to Wober
Wober exsquisite ball with his left to Gnonto
Great first touch by Willi, beats his man and his cross gets intercepted and cleared as it heads for Paddy who had over run it tbf
Firpo lovely first touch cushioned pass for Roca, who lays it off for Gnoto again
First time right footed cross this time
Headed out
Wober robs the Wolves player, lays it back for Koch
Koch, sublime pass for Gnonto who again, lovely first touch, beats his man andpulls the ball back toward the pen spot
Aaronson has cleared the space for Harrison with a nice run to the near post dragging a defender with him
Harrison excellent finish just as he gets wiped out by the defender... who got nowhere near the ball

As I say lovely. Best watched on Iplayer
BGwhite
Superstar
Superstar

Post by BGwhite »

DDB220 wrote:I am confused by the suggestion that Meslier was caught in no man’s land. A few during and post game claim he made a mistake by not letting the ball run through to him. I have watched this a number of times and it is tight to suggest the ball would have made the 18 yard box before the wolves player or even one of our defenders converged. What Meslier did was the right call, he took responsibility and made a good headed clearance. The calamity afterwards is Roca just playing a nothing ball, and Jonny executing the lob expertly.
Spot on Image

Sent from my moto g(9) plus using Tapatalk

Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

DDB220 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:09 am I am confused by the suggestion that Meslier was caught in no man’s land. A few during and post game claim he made a mistake by not letting the ball run through to him. I have watched this a number of times and it is tight to suggest the ball would have made the 18 yard box before the wolves player or even one of our defenders converged. What Meslier did was the right call, he took responsibility and made a good headed clearance. The calamity afterwards is Roca just playing a nothing ball, and Jonny executing the lob expertly.
It wasn't Meslier's fault. He had no option but to come out of his area to head the ball away, but Jonny's World class lob onviously caught him out of position - hence in 'no-mans-land'.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

My take also.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

I hope we don't try and park the bus at the Emirates, they will just break us down eventually. That tactic cost us three points at Scumford Bridge imo. We need to take the game to them, like we did v Chelski and Livarpool.
SG90
Superstar
Superstar

Post by SG90 »

Ellandback1 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:40 pm It wasn't Meslier's fault. He had no option but to come out of his area to head the ball away, but Jonny's World class lob onviously caught him out of position - hence in 'no-mans-land'.
Not the first time he's been way off his goal line this season. The first Fulham goal in the cup for example. More players will target long range shooting against us due to his positioning.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

SG90 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:28 pm Not the first time he's been way off his goal line this season. The first Fulham goal in the cup for example. More players will target long range shooting against us due to his positioning.
Not sure he had much. Don't think the ball would have carried to him.
Phild
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by Phild »

I do not understand any criticism for Messlier .
His clearance falls perfectly for Roca who has plenty of time to bring the ball down.
However he chooses to play a first time pass that sets up their player perfectly for the lob.
100% Roca in my opinion.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Phild wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:11 pm I do not understand any criticism for Messlier .
His clearance falls perfectly for Roca who has plenty of time to bring the ball down.
However he chooses to play a first time pass that sets up their player perfectly for the lob.
100% Roca in my opinion.
The criticism of Messlier is just people who dont like him and pick out his faults to make him look bad. When he does things well they stay quiet.
We know he isn't perfect and has a lot to learn but he is definitely not as bad as some make out. Imagine trying to play and build your confidence with some of the performances from our defenders this season, even the likes of Alisson and Ederson would struggle :)
Leeds1000
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Leeds1000 »

Agree... he did the sweeper keeper job well, it was even a cracking header out to Roca (he did mean it) and then Roca sets up their man like he's playing headers and volleys after school. Only he will know what he had in mind.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

My thought too
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Jaydog wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:19 am I agree, it was good anticipation by Mes and that’s what you want from your keeper sometimes. What is Roca doing? Even he doesn’t know tbh.
Only thing I’d say is he should have got back to his goal line a little quicker. He sort of ambled back.
Deepest defender. Kock I think. Should have run back to cover.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

Do we feel that Meslier has been criticised?

There's not much he could have have done tbh
Byebyegeegee
First Team
First Team

Post by Byebyegeegee »

I stick by my initial observation that, had he stayed on the edge of his box, Meslier would have been able to collect the ball comfortably. When you're in the thick of the action, I accept that it is difficult to get decisions absolutely spot on every time and experience can be a major factor in this respect. I’m not wanting to overly criticise Meslier at all nor am I wanting to absolve Roca, but I still believe he had a rush of blood to the head in that particular situation and could and should have stayed in his area.

By the way Greennwhite, I don’t know any people on this forum, or Leeds fans in general, who specifically “don’t like him”, that is an odd and incongruous comment to make. Everybody can see that he is an excellent young keeper and one of our major assets. From a personal perspective, I would point out that he invariably achieves a top 3 score in my player ratings and has been my MOTM on numerous occasions, and deservedly so.