The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

Post by Ellandback1 »

We had to sell Raphinha and Phillips due to their short contracts.

Meslier has just over another three years.

Surely we'd have to hold out for 50m+
VinnysTattoo
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 21st March) Chelsea join the hunt for Meslier

Post by VinnysTattoo »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:02 pm We had to sell Raphinha and Phillips due to their short contracts.

Meslier has just over another three years.

Surely we'd have to hold out for 50m+
Not given our past negotiating skills.

It will be more like 20M plus someone who will be a “prospect” for the U21s.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Ellandback1 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:02 pm Surely we'd have to hold out for 50m+
He’s a decent enough young keeper, with plenty of years ahead of him, but I’m not convinced he’s £50M worth of young keeper.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

£50mil would make Meslier the 3rd most expensive goalkeeper of all time.

Not a hope we get close to that for a talented but still deeply flawed young keeper.

Even £30mil puts him in the top 6.

Realistically it will be £20-25mil I'd imagine.

Similar to what Pickford and Ramsdale went for
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

Cjay wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:09 pm £50mil would make Meslier the 3rd most expensive goalkeeper of all time.

Not a hope we get close to that for a talented but still deeply flawed young keeper.

Even £30mil puts him in the top 6.

Realistically it will be £20-25mil I'd imagine.

Similar to what Pickford and Ramsdale went for
Deeply flawed - in what sense ?

He is one of the brightest goal keeping prospects out there.

When you consider his age, experience and ceiling. I will be staggered if we get less than 40 million in todays inflated market. I would not rule manure out of the reckoning.
Incidentally, We cannot replace Meslier with an u23’s keeper with no top flight experience if we retain our EPL status. If Forest go down I would take Navas and Patterson from Sunderland.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

DDB220 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 pm Deeply flawed - in what sense ?

He is one of the brightest goal keeping prospects out there.

When you consider his age, experience and ceiling. I will be staggered if we get less than 40 million in todays inflated market. I would not rule manure out of the reckoning.
Incidentally, We cannot replace Meslier with an u23’s keeper with no top flight experience if we retain our EPL status. If Forest go down I would take Navas and Patterson from Sunderland.
Shot stopping can be erratic and needs to be far stronger in the box. Is capable of great shot stopping but it's not consistent (allowances made for his age of course)

He probably doesn't even get in the top 10 list of top Premier league goalies atm never mind Europe/world

Talented but not convinced he is a truly world class talent (potentially).

For all the praise he got last season for example he actually conceded more goals than he should statistically (79 but should have been 72). Was actually one of the only goalies who did last season.

He has done well for his age but I'm not convinced he is any more than a decent Premier league keeper yet.

Seen plenty of goalies come through at his age and younger look far more impressive

It's a big jump from that to truly World Class.

May be influenced by my firm belief that World class and potentially World class is thrown about far to much these days and actually only truly applies to about a dozen or 2 players in each position in the world at most.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if you were right on the price though.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Clacton White wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:25 pm You are probably right regarding price ( excluding Chelscum as I mentioned ) , but the problem regarding a replacement at the present time ......it's reliant on Orta , and therein is a massive problem . While Orta is DoF I don't see any progression .
:tup:
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Post by Ellandback1 »

I think Meslier has an all round strong game, apart from his distribution.