Arsenal 4-1 Leeds Utd - Post Match Debate

Archive for all MOT match day threads including match previews, in game chat, reports and ratings.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Re: Arsenal v Leeds Utd Match Thread

Post by The Subhuman »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:02 am Cooper for me, never happy with Ayling as a CB, it's unnecessarily changing two defensive positions as opposed to one.
I'd agree but Gracia maybe the same as our previous 2 managers... I hope it's Coop..
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

faaip wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:45 am I'd agree but Gracia maybe the same as our previous 2 managers... I hope it's Coop..
Yes, it would be very strange if our third coach believes Ayling is our best CB option, especially as we have two natural CB's, one of them our captain.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Ahead of tomorrow: 52 teams have played 20 or more league games on April Fool's Day in English league history, and Leeds have the worst win percentage on April 1st of those teams (15% - played 20, won 3).

Those wins:
1967 v Chelsea
1989 v Bournemouth
2008 v Doncaster
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Jesus back for Arsenal tomorrow

Coops will have him in his back pocket from the off
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Looking forward to this one, nothing to lose game against a team that's good to watch. Should be a fun game for the nuetral
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Very hard game to get anything from, they are real quality now, but football has a habit of throwing up some strange results, so you never know. Just hope they dont score early on and that our goal difference doesn't get a battering, it could come in useful at the end of the season as i think.
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Our last victory at the Emirates twenty years ago.

Kewell in dynamic form with a wonderful strike for our opening goal.
The days when we were always dangerous at set-pieces.
Great strike from Viduka.
Fortunate with Henry's 20 yards shot hitting the post at 2-2.
Fantastic victory under Peter Reid.

Difficult to believe what was around the corner in the following season.

The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Lucky VAR wasn't around then
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Jack Harrison wins player of the month
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

I would lay a wager on Koch and Cooper as the CB pairing.

For me this is not a game for Firpo. I would play struijk everyday of the week at LB instead, just as I would play Gyabi over Roca.

We are not playing the over committed high press with Gracia, Struijk just like Firpo will not be as exposed to the ball over the top as we no longer employ a high line. Struijk is by far a better defender and against Saka we need the best available. He is also more of a threat at the set piece and this is where we can potentially get something out of this game.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:39 am I would lay a wager on Koch and Cooper as the CB pairing.

For me this is not a game for Firpo. I would play struijk everyday of the week at LB instead, just as I would play Gyabi over Roca.

We are not playing the over committed high press with Gracia, Struijk just like Firpo will not be as exposed to the ball over the top as we no longer employ a high line. Struijk is by far a better defender and against Saka we need the best available. He is also more of a threat at the set piece and this is where we can potentially get something out of this game.
Agree re the better defender, but I think Firpo is way more dangerous in and around the oppositions box and Struijk will be rusty... Lets face it Sake would probably run as many rings around Struijk as Firpo and probably every other left back in the premiership. Best anyone can hope for is he has a bad day
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Key player will be the DMF whomever that maybe and I would also go Gyabi
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:43 am Agree re the better defender, but I think Firpo is way more dangerous in and around the oppositions box and Struijk will be rusty... Lets face it Sake would probably run as many rings around Struijk as Firpo and probably every other left back in the premiership. Best anyone can hope for is he has a bad day
More dangerous based on a rather fortunate goal against Southampton ? Struijk is by far the best player we have in the air at attacking a set piece into the box. I know you like to champion Firpo but even in the recent games where he has improved this is down the to the structure around him. Look at the stats for leaking goals with a left side of Firpo and Harrison. It is not the best combination for this or any other game.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

DDB220 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:55 am More dangerous based on a rather fortunate goal against Southampton ? Struijk is by far the best player we have in the air at attacking a set piece into the box. I know you like to champion Firpo but even in the recent games where he has improved this is down the to the structure around him. Look at the stats for leaking goals with a left side of Firpo and Harrison. It is not the best combination for this or any other game.
No based on a lot more than that, his passing into the box is better than most and he makes dangerous runs into the box. He's always had the pedigree for me. Of course he's got better with better defensive structure but so has Koch and Wober, who would be floundering in Marsch's set up
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

I have a feeling we will have someone sent off today. Don't know why, probably just the thought of a couple of mis timed tackles when we are under the cosh, which we no doubt will be for long periods.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Irish Ian wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:14 pm Jesus back for Arsenal tomorrow

Coops will have him in his back pocket from the off
The glass half full type of guy like myself, i love em....Like the excellent timer of the tackle walking booking/sending off Firpo coming up against the slouch Saka.....what could go wrong !!!
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
1964white

Post by 1964white »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:41 am I have a feeling we will have someone sent off today. Don't know why, probably just the thought of a couple of mis timed tackles when we are under the cosh, which we no doubt will be for long periods.
Would be typical, just to rub salt in our wounds, Chilli.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

Chilli D wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:41 am I have a feeling we will have someone sent off today. Don't know why, probably just the thought of a couple of mis timed tackles when we are under the cosh, which we no doubt will be for long periods.
No offence, but I hope you’re wrong.

We have enough problems with injuries, last thing we need is a 3 match suspension for a straight red card.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
DDB220
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by DDB220 »

faaip wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:27 am No based on a lot more than that, his passing into the box is better than most and he makes dangerous runs into the box. He's always had the pedigree for me. Of course he's got better with better defensive structure but so has Koch and Wober, who would be floundering in Marsch's set up
We will more likely than not be playing on the counter today. Firpo has this rush of blood attitude where he goes galavanting up the pitch. He does not have the stamina to get back, under Marsch initially and now under Gracia it is evident to me that they have instructed him to be more disciplined positionally, hence why in every game he has played following Struijk’s concussion you rarely see him cross the half way line for at least the first 50 mins. Adams was instrumental in protecting him and filling the void he left when he went on one of his forays up the pitch. Wober was also very good at covering for him. Cooper on the other hand has an issue when he covers for Firpo, this is not a strong part of his game.

Struijk is a more disciplined and accomplished defender, positionally he is head and shoulders ahead. This is the most important requirement for today. Incidentally, Firpo does not do a great job in terms of creating chances, when he gets to the by line he tends to hit a speculative ball into the box, much like Ayling. Gnonto is a huge miss because he has the composure to pick a pass either through a cut back of delivering the ball into the box with pace.

You are right in suggesting both would have a hard time with Saka. But Struijk is far less likely to go diving in two footed. Firpo gets an early booking as I believe he will and he will be walking a tightrope.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:12 pm Ahead of tomorrow: 52 teams have played 20 or more league games on April Fool's Day in English league history, and Leeds have the worst win percentage on April 1st of those teams (15% - played 20, won 3).

Those wins:
1967 v Chelsea
1989 v Bournemouth
2008 v Doncaster
Interesting though that if you see the starting letter of those 3 teams you have B, C and D. Which letter is missing - A.
3 points today nailed on.