Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4513
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

This is proof that the US Soccer Federation is a shambles and they couldn't get anyone else. Our best generation of players and a World Cup on home soil will be squandered.

If the Federation wanted an American Manager they should have hired Peter Vermes from Sporting KC. Former National Team player and an excellent Manager. He probably turned them down....
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Kennyb41 »

Weirdos !!! :lol:

I'm doubled up here :lol: :roflmao:

And i bet she didn't mean it to be funny ! :lol: :lol:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Kennyb41 »

How did you reach that conclusion ?

What got you there ?

Was there one particular comment? Or a few ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Kennyb41 »

Oh i forgot though, you frequent a few places, i thought you just meant from here.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Leeds1000
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Worrying insight from The Athletic

Post by Leeds1000 »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 3:25 am As an American/US fan, I can’t help but wonder if his style might be best suited for international football. His elevator speeches and “rah rah” bravado can work for those limited stretches of international play. And while he’s proven to have some tactical failings at the club level, those will be less exposed at the international level…and hopefully the lessons learned help inform his future decision-making. Further, the present USMNT roster sets up pretty well with how Marsch prefers to set up.

Trying to be glass half full here. He can’t be worse than GGG (USMNT supporters will know what I’m referencing)
You can't succeed in America without the bravado can you? He should be perfect. How would Marcelo Bielsa have gone down in the States? He would be more likely to go down to those Democratic run States and feed those poor zombies that walk the streets looking for salvation. God bless America and Marsch. ;-)
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19690
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by weasel »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 1:50 pm This is proof that the US Soccer Federation is a shambles and they couldn't get anyone else. Our best generation of players and a World Cup on home soil will be squandered.

If the Federation wanted an American Manager they should have hired Peter Vermes from Sporting KC. Former National Team player and an excellent Manager. He probably turned them down....
I reckon they probably went for Marsch over Vermes simply down to Marsch having managed in other countries, so is 'worldly wise' as opposed to Vermes who has coached only in the US.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 1:50 pm This is proof that the US Soccer Federation is a shambles and they couldn't get anyone else. Our best generation of players and a World Cup on home soil will be squandered.

If the Federation wanted an American Manager they should have hired Peter Vermes from Sporting KC. Former National Team player and an excellent Manager. He probably turned them down....
I was thinking either Vermes or Curtin would be competent replacements if they wanted an American in charge. At least Marsch has spent some time at some big clubs in Europe so maybe there’s that angle from a “managing personalities” standpoint. Anyone following the USMNT this past cycle is well aware that has become important ;)
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
andrewjohnsmith
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 13057
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:58 pm
Location: California (Donny Born-n-Bred)

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Will be interesting to see. I'm a bit of a US fan since I live here. Not sure I'll be looking forward to his press conferences.
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by John in Louisiana »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 9:42 am Ha! That'll be one to watch!
3-0 Uruguay
Tom_Siffringer
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:43 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Tom_Siffringer »

Anonymous wrote:Can't deny, it's going to be funny watching the Marsch love-in backfire on all the USMNT weirdos we've had dogging Leeds media for the last year or so.
Hugs

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Orange Box »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 2:34 pm Can't deny, it's going to be funny watching the Marsch love-in backfire on all the USMNT weirdos we've had dogging Leeds media for the last year or so.
Cracking. Post of the year candidate right there.

Xenophobic r us.
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Worrying insight from The Athletic

Post by JoeDenver »

Leeds1000 wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 3:12 pm You can't succeed in America without the bravado can you? He should be perfect. How would Marcelo Bielsa have gone down in the States? He would be more likely to go down to those Democratic run States and feed those poor zombies that walk the streets looking for salvation. God bless America and Marsch. ;-)
Yes and no. A lot people see America and think of showmanship and big television personalities. But there is a strong undercurrent of many Americans “rooting for the underdog”…see the men’s college basketball tournament, aka, March Madness.

Agree, re : Bielsa, but only momentarily. Once he sees that the “zombies” will literally kill him for another hit of fentanyl, he’ll go running the other way and realize those people are beyond help.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Jesse Marsch- Worrying insight from The Athletic

Post by Orange Box »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 12:16 am Yes and no. A lot people see America and think of showmanship and big television personalities. But there is a strong undercurrent of many Americans “rooting for the underdog”…see the men’s college basketball tournament, aka, March Madness.

Agree, re : Bielsa, but only momentarily. Once he sees that the “zombies” will literally kill him for another hit of fentanyl, he’ll go running the other way and realize those people are beyond help.
Ah, fentanyl. Mother Nature’s way of reducing the world’s population.
User avatar
Orange Box
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7493
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:51 pm
Location: West of Scotland, formerly Cas Vegas

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Orange Box »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 6:50 am Would you like to explain why you think that is xenophobic? If it's an accusation, back it up.
No offence, look at the time of the post and throw in a couple of whiskies. It was a comment to deflect any potential criticism from colonials. I was actually congratulating you on a good post. Probably won’t bother in future.
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Worrying insight from The Athletic

Post by JoeDenver »

Orange Box wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 12:33 am Ah, fentanyl. Mother Nature’s way of reducing the world’s population.
:roflmao: :lol: :roflmao: :lol:
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 12:54 pm Oh, I see... I misread it then.

My intention was just to call out the weird behaviour of those USMNT fans who have claimed to be Leeds fans in order to declare that their nationals in our team are too good for us.

It doesn't happen when we sign players or a manager of any other nationality, so it seems a strange way to carry on.

Obviously, mocking the behaviour of a few individuals, and wishing the full horror of Marsch's management upon their team, is not the same as being 'anti-American' in general.
I’ve never supported that behavior of a certain subsection of the USMNT fanbase. I’ve called out Aaronson repeatedly and have on several occasions have recommended him moving to another league where he can be more successful. Terrible idea from Marsch to bring him here.

Everyone is in agreement re: Adams. Frankly, he’s surprised me as I thought he might struggle to adjust.

I think you and I, among others here, would disagree re: McKennie. I think he’s been used out of place and would’ve only succeeded under Marsch if there was a fully fit Adams alongside (which proved to not be the case). In my opinion, his adjustment to the PL and having to play all over the place week to week and from coach to coach has amplified some hesitancy on his part….and has translated into some erratic performances. I do think Big Sam is starting to use him properly and is why we saw a good performance from him last week. It is why I am encouraged for these next two fixtures from Weston. But even among his supporters here, I’d agree that he wasn’t the ideal signing for us given our January needs (a real striker, an LB, and a more attacking minded, creative central midfielder still remain the primary needs). I’d further agree that his social media fanboy posse have been saying that he is too good for Leeds…behavior of which is nauseating to me, and, I’d imagine to most USMNT fans. Please do keep in mind that this is coming from a small subset of the USMNT fanbase that albeit loud and vocal, is extremely naive. We all have those peculiar subsets in our national team fanbases. I just roll my eyes and ignore them. They don’t deserve the oxygen. I’d encourage everyone here to do the same and not let “a few bad apples spoil the bunch” of primarily civil and knowledgeable fans comprising the core USMNT fanbase. :beers: :beers:
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4513
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 4:20 pm I was thinking either Vermes or Curtin would be competent replacements if they wanted an American in charge. At least Marsch has spent some time at some big clubs in Europe so maybe there’s that angle from a “managing personalities” standpoint. Anyone following the USMNT this past cycle is well aware that has become important ;)
I actually see Vermes as a better man Manager that Marsch. Without all the new age bullshit.

Tactically it's not even close. I would take Peter every time.

It's true that Marsch has spent time in Europe coaching at good clubs. But unlike Marsch Peter actually PLAYED in Europe. Yes, they were small clubs in Dutch and Spanish football. But this was the late 1980's and early 90's when there were very few opportunities for American players. He was one of the pioneers.

For me it's also a maturity factor. Marsch comes acrosss as a kid in a room full of adults. Vermes has a certain gravitas.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4513
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 12:54 pm Oh, I see... I misread it then.

My intention was just to call out the weird behaviour of those USMNT fans who have claimed to be Leeds fans in order to declare that their nationals in our team are too good for us.

It doesn't happen when we sign players or a manager of any other nationality, so it seems a strange way to carry on.

Obviously, mocking the behaviour of a few individuals, and wishing the full horror of Marsch's management upon their team, is not the same as being 'anti-American' in general.
Just to be clear Sara. Are you talking about the twats on Twitter? Or are you tossing some of us here on MOT in that pot also?
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4513
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 2:38 pm I’ve never supported that behavior of a certain subsection of the USMNT fanbase. I’ve called out Aaronson repeatedly and have on several occasions have recommended him moving to another league where he can be more successful. Terrible idea from Marsch to bring him here.

Everyone is in agreement re: Adams. Frankly, he’s surprised me as I thought he might struggle to adjust.

I think you and I, among others here, would disagree re: McKennie. I think he’s been used out of place and would’ve only succeeded under Marsch if there was a fully fit Adams alongside (which proved to not be the case). In my opinion, his adjustment to the PL and having to play all over the place week to week and from coach to coach has amplified some hesitancy on his part….and has translated into some erratic performances. I do think Big Sam is starting to use him properly and is why we saw a good performance from him last week. It is why I am encouraged for these next two fixtures from Weston. But even among his supporters here, I’d agree that he wasn’t the ideal signing for us given our January needs (a real striker, an LB, and a more attacking minded, creative central midfielder still remain the primary needs). I’d further agree that his social media fanboy posse have been saying that he is too good for Leeds…behavior of which is nauseating to me, and, I’d imagine to most USMNT fans. Please do keep in mind that this is coming from a small subset of the USMNT fanbase that albeit loud and vocal, is extremely naive. We all have those peculiar subsets in our national team fanbases. I just roll my eyes and ignore them. They don’t deserve the oxygen. I’d encourage everyone here to do the same and not let “a few bad apples spoil the bunch” of primarily civil and knowledgeable fans comprising the core USMNT fanbase. :beers: :beers:
These are the same douchebags that populate the USMNT forums on Big Soccer. I stopped going there 20 years ago because of these insufferable morons.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
malcolmw
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3707
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by malcolmw »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 1:50 pm This is proof that the US Soccer Federation is a shambles and they couldn't get anyone else. Our best generation of players and a World Cup on home soil will be squandered.

If the Federation wanted an American Manager they should have hired Peter Vermes from Sporting KC. Former National Team player and an excellent Manager. He probably turned them down....
I feel the US needs a coach who can get them more organized and aggressive in attack. They are dismal in the final third. Which is what Marsh did to us! They are decent in defense but noone knows when to take a shot at goal.
Just look at goal scoring stats removing big wins against very very poor teams.
Marsh is not their solution.
I agree this does not bode well for the next WC.
BTW same goes for my bunch - Canada. These are coaches who "don't know what they dont know"
Post Reply