Jesse Marsch

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by malcolmw »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Fri May 19, 2023 9:20 pm 3-0 Uruguay
Make that 5-0 Uruguay
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by malcolmw »

malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 3:06 pm Make that 5-0 Uruguay
I think Marcelo would be perfect for the USMNT. Teach them how to score goals.
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 2:47 pm I actually see Vermes as a better man Manager that Marsch. Without all the new age bullshit.

Tactically it's not even close. I would take Peter every time.

It's true that Marsch has spent time in Europe coaching at good clubs. But unlike Marsch Peter actually PLAYED in Europe. Yes, they were small clubs in Dutch and Spanish football. But this was the late 1980's and early 90's when there were very few opportunities for American players. He was one of the pioneers.

For me it's also a maturity factor. Marsch comes acrosss as a kid in a room full of adults. Vermes has a certain gravitas.
Paul, I wonder if Vermes had a falling out with US Soccer a while back and that is why he apparently doesn’t get considered anymore. I always felt that he deserved the shot over GGG. Not sure if Vermes even cares anymore, but perhaps he should make the move abroad and prove himself there in order to force future coaching decisions. Maybe he’s content, but I’d have to think he’s keen for a bigger challenge and Europe would offer that in spades.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 3:13 pm Paul, I wonder if Vermes had a falling out with US Soccer a while back and that is why he apparently doesn’t get considered anymore. I always felt that he deserved the shot over GGG. Not sure if Vermes even cares anymore, but perhaps he should make the move abroad and prove himself there in order to force future coaching decisions. Maybe he’s content, but I’d have to think he’s keen for a bigger challenge and Europe would offer that in spades.
It's a good question Joe. I don't know of any bad blood there. And you would think Vermes would have plenty of contact with the Federation as our National Teams basically share a training facility with Sporting KC. Which is a beautiful world class training center if you have not been there.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by malcolmw »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 3:20 pm It's a good question Joe. I don't know of any bad blood there. And you would think Vermes would have plenty of contact with the Federation as our National Teams basically share a training facility with Sporting KC. Which is a beautiful world class training center if you have not been there.
Guys I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't see how any MLS coach can improve the US or Canada. They need influence from coaches who have strong European or South American experience.
MLS is fun and well organized but the level isn't there for improvement in quality.

Just a sample-of-one opinion.
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

malcolmw wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 3:37 pm Guys I know I sound like a broken record, but I don't see how any MLS coach can improve the US or Canada. They need influence from coaches who have strong European or South American experience.
MLS is fun and well organized but the level isn't there for improvement in quality.

Just a sample-of-one opinion.
You’re reinforcing why I think Vermes belongs abroad. And I agree that having an American coach should not be a prerequisite for the USMNT coaching role.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3715
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by malcolmw »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 3:45 pm You’re reinforcing why I think Vermes belongs abroad. And I agree that having an American coach should not be a prerequisite for the USMNT coaching role.
Yeah, they have potential. But I think they've regressed under the last guy. I also think they need to push more players into the 'grind' leagues - e.g. a couple of years in the Championship would do Aaronson, Mc K and evens Adams the world of good.
Leeds1000
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4157
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Worrying insight from The Athletic

Post by Leeds1000 »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 12:16 am Yes and no. A lot people see America and think of showmanship and big television personalities. But there is a strong undercurrent of many Americans “rooting for the underdog”…see the men’s college basketball tournament, aka, March Madness.

Agree, re : Bielsa, but only momentarily. Once he sees that the “zombies” will literally kill him for another hit of fentanyl, he’ll go running the other way and realize those people are beyond help.
America is the capital of Capitalism. The Brave New World after 1984. Once i watched Porkies i was hooked on American culture. I love the bravado especially a car named desire.

Fentanyl Fentanyl. When will they stop these lab creations that wreak havoc with the human condition. Problem, solution and the cycle continues.
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 3:45 pm You’re reinforcing why I think Vermes belongs abroad. And I agree that having an American coach should not be a prerequisite for the USMNT coaching role.
I'm NOT calling for an American Manager. Exactly the opposite. I would have loved to have Bielsa or another high profile proven Manager from Europe or South America. But apparently none of them want the job.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 8:58 pm I'm NOT calling for an American Manager. Exactly the opposite. I would have loved to have Bielsa or another high profile proven Manager from Europe or South America. But apparently none of them want the job.
Paul, I agree. I think a foreign manager would be great. I think US Soccer is more afraid of that dynamic as the inevitable PRO-REL discussion around the domestic league(s) and the inevitable push for more of our players abroad to get experience in more challenging leagues will be very unsettling. US Soccer, MLS, and the marketing arm of both (SUM) are joined at the hip. Only way for them to have a head coach in that dynamic appears to be an American (or someone like Wayne Rooney who coaches within their sphere of influence).
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

JoeDenver wrote: ↑Sat May 20, 2023 9:44 pm Paul, I agree. I think a foreign manager would be great. I think US Soccer is more afraid of that dynamic as the inevitable PRO-REL discussion around the domestic league(s) and the inevitable push for more of our players abroad to get experience in more challenging leagues will be very unsettling. US Soccer, MLS, and the marketing arm of both (SUM) are joined at the hip. Only way for them to have a head coach in that dynamic appears to be an American (or someone like Wayne Rooney who coaches within their sphere of influence).
Soccer United Marketing (SUM) and US Soccer parted ways at the end of 2022. MLS and SUM no longer hold any influence over the federation. Which is why this would be such a missed opportunity.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 9:17 am Twats on twitter. There've been a couple on here, haven't there, but none of the regulars like your good self.
:tup: :tup: 8-)
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
BreakingTheDuck
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:24 am
Location: 49ers land, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BreakingTheDuck »

Jesse Marsch has been good at ginning up players and choosing the starting lineup. His favs were Rodrigo and Gnonto and he got them to play for him. That’s great for international football.

On the down side, system managers are bad for it. There is no time to install a specialized system and you can’t choose your players. If he is bull headed on that he will fail.
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41751
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Cjay »

Luke Ayling saying the players aren't fit enough and this happened the whole of the season not over night

Another legacy of Marsch?

And another player criticising him in public without naming him?

Bamford did similar
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Tom_Siffringer
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:43 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Tom_Siffringer »

Admittedly, I started following Leeds a bit due to the American presence there...but it quickly became apparent that the anti-Yank bias is real. The coup de grace was a Twitter post today (likely not the first) made
to McKennie's father calling Weston fat and lazy.

It's not Aaronson's fault, nor Tyler's, nor Weston's that that your club was at a loss for ideas and allowed Orta to put a patchwork of players together who clearly did not fit as a cohesive unit. I'm a big Jack Harrison fan and I hope that he too is able to find a new home. Supporters there have become toxic.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

User avatar
BlackHillsPaul
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 4519
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Location: Arizona, USA

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Tom_Siffringer wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 11:49 pm Admittedly, I started following Leeds a bit due to the American presence there...but it quickly became apparent that the anti-Yank bias is real. The coup de grace was a Twitter post today (likely not the first) made
to McKennie's father calling Weston fat and lazy.

It's not Aaronson's fault, nor Tyler's, nor Weston's that that your club was at a loss for ideas and allowed Orta to put a patchwork of players together who clearly did not fit as a cohesive unit. I'm a big Jack Harrison fan and I hope that he too is able to find a new home. Supporters there have become toxic.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Seriously, just go away. This forum is for actual fans of LUFC. Go back to the USMNT forum on Big Soccer with all the other insufferable Douchebags that post there. This place is not for you.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 3:57 am Soccer United Marketing (SUM) and US Soccer parted ways at the end of 2022. MLS and SUM no longer hold any influence over the federation. Which is why this would be such a missed opportunity.
No formal influence per se, Paul. But I suspect the previous revolving door between the three entities for so long has strong ties (and influence) that remain. That was more what I was alluding to. I just suspect the “inertia” is to hire an American coach given how Klinsmann ruffled so many feathers in his tenure.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Tom_Siffringer
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:43 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Tom_Siffringer »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Seriously, just go away. This forum is for actual fans of LUFC. Go back to the USMNT forum on Big Soccer with all the other insufferable Douchebags that post there. This place is not for you.
Settle down, keyboard warrior

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

User avatar
JoeDenver
Manager
Manager
Posts: 4124
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:58 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by JoeDenver »

Cjay wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 10:08 pm Luke Ayling saying the players aren't fit enough and this happened the whole of the season not over night

Another legacy of Marsch?

And another player criticising him in public without naming him?

Bamford did similar
Saw him allude to that in his presser. I had a comment on the match thread about us appearing like the team that played the Thursday fixture. They were toying with us in stretches…we looked so pathetic. While Bielsa’s training levels were probably extreme…Murderball, etc. they produced a team that wouldn’t give up. Now we give up a goal and we don’t have the fitness levels to help us eke out the wins toward the end (and the mental fragility exacerbates things). In addition to a tactician and builder, the next manager needs to be insistent on high fitness levels from the players.
Fly Fishing, Skiing, and The Damned United
Tom_Siffringer
Youth Team
Youth Team
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:43 pm

Re: Jesse Marsch- Next USA coach?

Post by Tom_Siffringer »

Anonymous wrote: Well said, Paul. It's just a wum account that needs banning.
Sending hugs

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Post Reply