The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th May) - Could Gnonto return to Serie A for as little as £8.6m?

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th May) - Could Gnonto return to Serie A for as little as £8.6m?

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 24th May, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Could Gnonto return to Serie A for as little as £8.6m?

Italian media outlet 'Calcio Web' claim there is an agreement in place for Wilfred Gnonto to return to Serie A this Summer, with Sassuolo currently leading the race for the Italian International. They further claim that in the event of relegation, his price tag is set to collapse, in the region of £8.6m - £13m.

His performances, prior to the ankle injury he picked up whilst on International duty (in late March), would have caught the eye of many would be suitors, who no doubt are already circling above Elland Road, preparing to pick apart our squad, leaving only the weak and feeble.

Gnonto has four and a half years remaining on his £20,000 a week contract. It has been suggested that Leeds may renegotiate his salary in a desperate bid to keep the 19yo at Elland Road.

Dorigo: I expected a lot more

Tony Dorigo has penned a damning article in the Yorkshire Evening Post, expressing his disappointment and
bewilderment at the lack of passion and resolve Leeds showed last weekend at the London Stadium.

In recent weeks, Everton and Forest claw their way out of the bottom three. The Toffee's thumped Brighton 5-1, then fought for their lives at Wolves, earning a credible 1-1 draw. Nottingham Forest too have played out of their skin. They beat Arsenal last weekend, drew at Stamford Bridge, and also comfortably beat Brighton 3-1. Why haven't we seen the same? The lack of fight the Leeds squad have shown this season astonishes me; how the Leeds faithful haven't turned on them, I'll never know. According to Dorigo...

I think the boys will look back at this season and think they could have done more and done better. The second half performance was hugely disappointing at West Ham United. The first 15 minutes actually went quite well, Patrick Bamford was here there and everywhere and we got the goal to go ahead, but then he limped off injured and West Ham pushed us back.

After conceding we needed to show resolve to come back again and at times I felt West Ham were waiting for us to come at them; they weren't brilliant at it themselves, and we allowed them to play. The second half needed to show what we were about and nothing happened. It was passive. I couldn't believe it. We made changes that didn't do a lot for the game and in the position we are in, I expected a lot more.

I was in the press conference after the game and my ears pricked up when Allardyce said what he said about not having a centre forward. He has had time to see the squad train and play, to assess what we've got. This was his assessment and it's hard to argue with that. You look back then and think how did this happen and it's just one of the things you could look at to say we didn't do the right things or get who we needed in January.

Orta's proposed successor criticised for Women's football jibe

Stuart Webber, the candidate highly tipped to succeed Victor Orta as Leeds next Director of Football, has been widely criticised for publicly stating that women's football is of zero interest to him.

Webber, 39, a life long Leeds fan, currently works as Sporting Director at Carrow Road, a position he's held for six years; yet if the rumours are true, he could be on his way to Elland Road within the next fortnight, as Leeds start their rebuilding process.

As far as ladies football is concerned, the Lionesses are no slouches! They won the Euro's last year, and are ranked fourth in World by FIFA (behind the USA, Germany and Sweden). Whilst it is his choice to watch what he likes, would he have been better off, not saying anything at all? According to Webber...

Women’s football, I do not watch it,' he said. 'It's of zero interest to me in terms of on the telly because I watch enough men's football and if I'm not watching that, I want to watch other sports. It's a choice which I think should be OK.

Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th May) Agreement in place for Gnonto to return to Serie A for as little as

Post by Irish Ian »

I have no interest in womens football.

Am I a bad person too?

Ah the first of the Gnonto stories destined to dominate the summer. Bueno.

Dorigo. He is right to be disappointed...

But Ayling let the cat out of the bag. They ain't fit. Not been for since August / September. (Apart from Roca who has never had 90 minutes in him)
The side was set up to use 5 subs each game, and we know how that went.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th May) Agreement in place for Gnonto to return to Serie A for as little as

Post by Ellandback1 »

Irish Ian wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:37 am I have no interest in womens football.

Am I a bad person too?

Ah the first of the Gnonto stories destined to dominate the summer. Bueno.

Dorigo. He is right to be disappointed...

But Ayling let the cat out of the bag. They ain't fit. Not been for since August / September. (Apart from Roca who has never had 90 minutes in him)
The side was set up to use 5 subs each game, and we know how that went.
You're not bad, but..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Not sure where the "jibe" was regarding women's football?
He said he watches a lot of mens football and when time allows, prefers to watch other sports.
What's wrong with that?
Soon men will be classed as misogynistic unless they agree to watch one WSL match per week.
The women's game has come on massively in recent years and I have watched the England games and one or two WSL games recently and the standard of football is very poor compared to men's but its a much friendlier and safe environment for parents to take kids so long may it continue.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all,

Oh my god, what is the world coming to a "man" has said he doesn't watch women's football, stone him, hang, draw and quarter him, best do it now before he says he doesn't enjoy Trans badminton :shock:

OK I feel I'm in a safe group here, so I'm prepared to confess I don't watch women's football either, I've nothing against women's football but my wife and my wife identifies as a woman, won't watch it as she says it rubbish!!!!!!

Oh my god I'll now never get a job as a Sporting Director at a football club :o
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

If we were to play the England womens team who do you think would win? :roll:
Allez les Blancs , Les Paons
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:34 am If we were to play the England womens team who do you think would win? :roll:
Dunno but I think Aaronson would qualiy for the USWNT
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th May) - Could Gnonto return to Serie A for as little as £8.6m?

Post by whiteinfrance »

I know nothing about this Webber bloke but the fact he is a life long leeds supporter bodes well.

Can anybody enlighten us about his record/reputation

It's good if we get someone in soon to start the rebuilding process.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 24th May) - Could Gnonto return to Serie A for as little as £8.6m?

Post by Orange Box »

Women play football? Really, well I never. They’ll be building escape hatches from the kitchen next.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Ellandback1 »

A few years ago an under 15's boys team (Dallas U15's developmental) beat World Champions USA 5-2.

Also just read that another team of School boys beat Australia's national ladies 7-0
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Jaydog »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 am I know nothing about this Webber bloke but the fact he is a life long leeds supporter bodes

This was posted by Cjay. From The Athletic

Stuart Webber would be at war with our fanbase very quickly

Having read the Norwich view he isn't popular.

Comes across similar to Orta

Narcissistic
Arrogant
Aggressive
A chancer

Thinks he is amazing and the fans are stupid.

No no no

Living off the reputation of a couple of excellent signings to deflect from the extensive dross.
whiteinfrance
First Team
First Team

Post by whiteinfrance »

He's right about the fans though :lol:
hector

Post by hector »

Ellandback1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:52 am A few years ago an under 15's boys team (Dallas U15's developmental) beat World Champions USA 5-2.

Also just read that another team of School boys beat Australia's national ladies 7-0
So what your'e saying is..................

The womens team would beat us........ :) :)
airedale
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by airedale »

I remember when my son was about 10 and playing football near the aptly named windy bank lane. The hail came in horizontal and all the lads came running off holding the back of their legs, The girls team carried on playing till the final whistle ,we watched them from the van with the heating up full.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Ratscoot wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:32 am Morning EB et all,

Oh my god, what is the world coming to a "man" has said he doesn't watch women's football, stone him, hang, draw and quarter him, best do it now before he says he doesn't enjoy Trans badminton :shock:

OK I feel I'm in a safe group here, so I'm prepared to confess I don't watch women's football either, I've nothing against women's football but my wife and my wife identifies as a woman, won't watch it as she says it rubbish!!!!!!

Oh my god I'll now never get a job as a Sporting Director at a football club :o
Exactly! I'm a girlie and cannot stand womens club football and it really annoys me when I see a game advertised and find that its the women! I will watch an international comp if I deem it important enough to me (not very often)

It's time people were allowed a view on a subject, we once were. Too many Nanny's around these days..... :x
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:34 am If we were to play the England womens team who do you think would win? :roll:
We'd beat them comfortably. Without being disrespectul I couldn't see the Lionesses beating even a conference level side. I'd love to see the day women were good enough to play in a man's team but I think it is still a long way off despite the massive improvement in recent years.

I'd be more concerned if the Norwich fella had said he didn't watch Dutch football or Scottish football etc because that would suggest he wasn't doing his job thoroughly. As it is he isn't going to be signing any women, unless he was in charge of recrutiment for Norwich Women's sides so it makes no sense for him to watch it as he no doubt has to watch lots of football matches, or certainly segments from them, every week.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Orange Box wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:51 am Women play football? Really, well I never. They’ll be building escape hatches from the kitchen next.
Careful...............
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

whiteinfrance wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:43 am I know nothing about this Webber bloke but the fact he is a life long leeds supporter bodes well.

The concern would be that Norwich haven't really done anything of note in recent years. A couple of promotions but have then come straight back down which would suggest recruitment hasn't been particularly impressive. I don't know whether he was responsible for signing the likes of Pukki or Buendia (now at Villa) but apart from those 2 I can't think of any Norwich players recently that have shone.
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:53 am This was posted by Cjay. From The Athletic

Stuart Webber would be at war with our fanbase very quickly

Having read the Norwich view he isn't popular.

Comes across similar to Orta

Narcissistic
Arrogant
Aggressive
A chancer

Thinks he is amazing and the fans are stupid.

No no no

Living off the reputation of a couple of excellent signings to deflect from the extensive dross.
He can be as arrogant as he likes, providing he brings with it success to ER