Lionel Messi-Goated

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Jaydog
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: Lionel Messi-Goated

Post by Jaydog »

“Gerrit int mixer Messi lad”
“Qué”
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Jeez i wish he'd come and grace the Prem at Citeh instead of the Saudi money, it's not like he needs it.

I'd love to see him before it's too late.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Messi must be gutted that they fired Phil Neville recently, for him not being able to learn and improve from that great manager will be hard to take :lol: :lol:
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

How utterly bizarre from Barcelona this is.

Released a statement on Lionel Messi and even took a subtle dig at him

On  Monday, June 5, Jorge Messi, the player’s father and representative, informed Club President Joan Laporta of the player's decision to join Inter Miami, despite having been presented with a proposal from Barça, in consideration of the desire of both FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi for him to once again wear blaugrana.

President Laporta understood and respected Messi's decision to want to compete in a league with fewer demands, further away from the spotlight and the pressure he has been subject to in recent years.

Both Joan Laporta and Jorge Messi also agreed to work together to promote a proper tribute from Barça fans to honor a footballer who has been, is, and always will be beloved by Barça.
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:32 pm How utterly bizarre from Barcelona this is.

Released a statement on Lionel Messi and even took a subtle dig at him

On  Monday, June 5, Jorge Messi, the player’s father and representative, informed Club President Joan Laporta of the player's decision to join Inter Miami, despite having been presented with a proposal from Barça, in consideration of the desire of both FC Barcelona and Lionel Messi for him to once again wear blaugrana.

President Laporta understood and respected Messi's decision to want to compete in a league with fewer demands, further away from the spotlight and the pressure he has been subject to in recent years.

Both Joan Laporta and Jorge Messi also agreed to work together to promote a proper tribute from Barça fans to honor a footballer who has been, is, and always will be beloved by Barça.
Messi is one of the five best players of all time. (I'm still a Pele guy). But if he is coming to MLS for a paid vacation in Miami he can just f**k off right now. Go take the Saudi money. Yes, he will raise the profile of MLS to Non-Football/Futbol/Soccer people. And he will most certainly bring sponsorship money to the league. Much like GoldenBalls did. But then perpetuate the tired stereotype that it's a "Retirement League".
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:57 am Messi is one of the five best players of all time. (I'm still a Pele guy). But if he is coming to MLS for a paid vacation in Miami he can just f**k off right now. Go take the Saudi money. Yes, he will raise the profile of MLS to Non-Football/Futbol/Soccer people. And he will most certainly bring sponsorship money to the league. Much like GoldenBalls did. But then perpetuate the tired stereotype that it's a "Retirement League".
In fairness to Messi he has been coming to Miami for years with his family apparently.

Perhaps at his age he feels it is time to wind down and move somewhere for his families sake? Maybe his wife likes it there and he is doing it for her?

Whilst I understand the retirement league concern Messi isn't like anyone else.

In the sense that his peak was so high he at 35 is still one of the best in the world.

I can prove it

Messi and Mbappe played for PSG and international fixtures this season, so basically the same competition.

Messi in total got 69 goal contributions from June 1st 2022 till now in 4901 minutes.

Mbappe got 65 in 4773 minutes from June 1st till now.

Gives Messi despite being well past his prime and in his mid 30s a better goal contribution ratio than Mbappe whose mid 20s and in his prime.

That's pretty incredible.

Would have been like Johan Cruyff being comparable to Diego Maradona in the early 80s.

So I think whilst yes Messi isn't as good as he was.

He is still better than basically everyone else
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:51 am In fairness to Messi he has been coming to Miami for years with his family apparently.

Perhaps at his age he feels it is time to wind down and move somewhere for his families sake? Maybe his wife likes it there and he is doing it for her?

Whilst I understand the retirement league concern Messi isn't like anyone else.

In the sense that his peak was so high he at 35 is still one of the best in the world.

I can prove it

Messi and Mbappe played for PSG and international fixtures this season, so basically the same competition.

Messi in total got 69 goal contributions from June 1st 2022 till now in 4901 minutes.

Mbappe got 65 in 4773 minutes from June 1st till now.

Gives Messi despite being well past his prime and in his mid 30s a better goal contribution ratio than Mbappe whose mid 20s and in his prime.

That's pretty incredible.

Would have been like Johan Cruyff being comparable to Diego Maradona in the early 80s.

So I think whilst yes Messi isn't as good as he was.

He is still better than basically everyone else
Absolutely still one of the best players in the world. It's just a mentality thing with me Cjay. Will he come to Play? To try and win trophies?

The likes of Lampard, Gerrard, and Pirlo treated it mostly as a holiday. It was pathetic!

Thierry Henry came to RBNY to play ball. And he lifted that club. And he left after helping them win their first major trophy. The 2013 Supporter's Shield. (Regular season Champion)

Zlatan came to the league with something to prove. And he scored a ton of goals for a really lousy LA Galaxy team. Then went back to Italy and finished his career with AC Milan.

David Beckham came with the wrong mentality. But after being called out by his own fans he changed. He then became the fierce competitor we had seen with his other clubs and England. He ended up winning 4 major trophies with LA Galaxy.

If Messi comes to play. To respect the league and all the young players that are trying to become something. To win trophies and help MLS become the best league outside of Europe then I will be over the moon happy. I'm just skeptical that he will come with the right mentality.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Former Barcelona and Atlanta United Manager Gerardo "Tata" Martino is the favorite to replace Phil Neville as Manager in Miami.

Martino previously Managed Messi at Barca. So he knows the player. He has some status in coaching circles. He won MLS Cup and was named MLS Manager of the year so he he knows the league. The only thing with Martino is that he is cut from the Bielsa cloth playing pressing attacking football. At Barca he was forced to continue the tiki taka style. And it just didn't work. He lasted just one season.
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:59 pm Absolutely still one of the best players in the world. It's just a mentality thing with me Cjay. Will he come to Play? To try and win trophies?

The likes of Lampard, Gerrard, and Pirlo treated it mostly as a holiday. It was pathetic!

Thierry Henry came to RBNY to play ball. And he lifted that club. And he left after helping them win their first major trophy. The 2013 Supporter's Shield. (Regular season Champion)

Zlatan came to the league with something to prove. And he scored a ton of goals for a really lousy LA Galaxy team. Then went back to Italy and finished his career with AC Milan.

David Beckham came with the wrong mentality. But after being called out by his own fans he changed. He then became the fierce competitor we had seen with his other clubs and England. He ended up winning 4 major trophies with LA Galaxy.

If Messi comes to play. To respect the league and all the young players that are trying to become something. To win trophies and help MLS become the best league outside of Europe then I will be over the moon happy. I'm just skeptical that he will come with the right mentality.
I think he will come to play.

He's the most successful player for trophies won in the world.

He's the most decorated player for individual awards in history.

He holds more records than any footballer ever.

You can't do that on talent alone, he must have an absolutely elite mentality and competitive streak.

So I cant see him coming and just messing about, I'm sure he will want to keep pushing for more.

And I'd think him being who he is is good for the MLS.

For its profile, for its appeal to a wider audience but also for players from abroad.

If its good enough for arguably an all time great if not the absolute greatest then it's good enough for us?

As a fan it's sad because imo he could play top European football till he's 45.

His passing range is so elite that he could sit in the centre circle and spray passes of world class quality until he picks up his pension.

But it's good to see him trying new things.

I have no doubt he will be successful and will help his team.
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:19 pm I think he will come to play.

He's the most successful player for trophies won in the world.

He's the most decorated player for individual awards in history.

He holds more records than any footballer ever.

You can't do that on talent alone, he must have an absolutely elite mentality and competitive streak.

So I cant see him coming and just messing about, I'm sure he will want to keep pushing for more.

And I'd think him being who he is is good for the MLS.

For its profile, for its appeal to a wider audience but also for players from abroad.

If its good enough for arguably an all time great if not the absolute greatest then it's good enough for us?

As a fan it's sad because imo he could play top European football till he's 45.

His passing range is so elite that he could sit in the centre circle and spray passes of world class quality until he picks up his pension.

But it's good to see him trying new things.

I have no doubt he will be successful and will help his team.
This is the first time I've heard you so optimistic about anything. It's disturbing Brah.... :lol:
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:25 pm This is the first time I've heard you so optimistic about anything. It's disturbing Brah.... :lol:
Messi brings joy :)

No reason to be anything but optimistic
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Do ok in the MLS I think
Signed

King Cjay

BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Cjay wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:51 pm Do ok in the MLS I think
Allow me to nitpick your British English. It's not THE MLS. It's just MLS. Spell out MLS and you will see what I mean.

British English: "Do ok in THE Major League Soccer I think".

American English: "Do ok in Major League Soccer I think".

Our English is better.... :lol:
Football/Futbol/Soccer
hector

Post by hector »

BlackHillsPaul wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:45 pm Allow me to nitpick your British English. It's not THE MLS. It's just MLS. Spell out MLS and you will see what I mean.

British English: "Do ok in THE Major League Soccer I think".

American English: "Do ok in Major League Soccer I think".

Our English is better.... :lol:
Oh s**t................ we are really in trouble then :) :) :) :)
Song machine is coming down....
And we're gonna have a party Uhuhu
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

hector wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:09 pm Oh s**t................ we are really in trouble then :) :) :) :)
One people, divided only by a common language. :roflmao: :roflmao:
Football/Futbol/Soccer
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Last minute winner with a lovely free kick.

Ran to his kids as well.

Lovely stuff.

Must say Inter Miami defensively are absolutely awful.

Don't know if that's the players or the coach whose a Bielsa disciple incidentally.

But never seen a team caught on transition so often.

Busquets and Messi obviously levels above everyone else even if there legs are gone/going.

There also apparently trying to sign Iniesta and Suarez and they have Alba and Busquets and Messi.

Reuniting one of the best teams ever :love:
Signed

King Cjay

Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Swear we had a soccerrrr thread.

But anyway.

Messi took the worst team in MLS

Scored 10 goals in 7 games.

Lead then to their first ever trophy

And made sure the former Captain got recognition
Signed

King Cjay

John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Headline in The Onion (a satirical online newspaper):

"MLS Parents Complain Leo Messi Too Advanced For Sons’ League"

Full story here: https://www.theonion.com/mls-parents-co ... 1850749255
geronimo
First Team
First Team
Twitter: none

Post by geronimo »

Messi is a great player and worshipped in Argentina, but maradona is idolised not only in Argentina but in Naples as well
Maradona was unique and different gravy