1 day to go - Fingers crossed we keep what we have!

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 41746
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:45 pm As I said those 7 have enough quality to be at the very least squad players at this level. Shackleton has shown that he didn't look out of place in the prem or in the promotion winning team. Dan James more than good enough at this level. Drameh player of the year for 2 teams in the championship. Cresswell did reasonably well for Millwall, Poveda yeah probably not a starter but certainly a useful squad player with the ability to create something as a sub, Gray more than good enough and yes will need looking after, Gelhardt has shown enough in the past to suggest he is at the very least a good championship player.

And it isn't like they have to be better than championship level. We also have to consider the 'quality' that they are replacing. Poveda or Aaronsen, depsite the difference in cost I'd see Poveda as more likely to make an impact in this division, has a bit more toughness about him. Cresswell or Koch/Llorents, I'd take Cresswell for this team and certainly have Rodon over either of them. Shackleton or McKennis, I'd have Shackleton every day of the week. Gray or Roca, Gray hands down. Ampadu or Adams, Ampadu for me. Drameh or Kristensen, again Drameh.

The only ones to have left at this point that I feel would make the team better are Rodrigo, Harrison and possibly Adams. We are still really in the position of needing players that we needed last season, namely a left back and striker. The players that have gone have basically been replaced. We have James, Gnonto, Sini and Summerville for the wide positions so Harrison won't really be missed. Obviously if Sini, Summerville and Gnonto all leave then yes we need to replace them but at present we have 4 excellent wingers.

Keeper situation fine.
Left back - at present Byram and Firpo I'm happy enough with that as Firpo should be good enough at this level and may well suit Farke's system given he is much better going forward than defending. Would be great if we signed a really decent left back but not a problem at present as we have those 2.
Right back - I'm fine wiwth Ayling and the only reason he has been exposed is because Farke wants him to be very attacking. As Farke's system beds in it should work better with the covering for him when he attacks, we saw evidence of it improving against WBA when Ampadu was slotting into centreback to allow Rodo to cover. We also have Drameh and Shackleton that can play there and Byram if those 3 were all injured and Firpo was fit.
Centrebacks - Well we have 4 that are decent enough. Yes Cooper is injury prone but how many centrebacks do we have to buy to cover for all eventualities? We have 4 and Ayling in emergency.

So no real need there. If Drameh or Firpo leave then bring in another or if someone as good as Aarons ibecomes avaialble then look to sign him.

Central Midfield and yes we are light. A definite need for at least 1 solid central midfielder, maybe 2. Am happy with Ampadu, Gray and Shackleton but clearly we cannot rely on them all playing every match. Hopefully Dallas will be back at some point but that would just be a bonus if it did happen. Not sure with Gyabi or Greenwood. So yes at least 1 signing required here.

Wingers - At present we have 4 top quality wingers in James, Sini, Cree and Gnonto - if that changes then maybe we need to buy but we alos have Shackleton and Poveda that can play there as depth. So for now no need to buy until the situation changes.

No.10 A lot depends on what happens with Gnonto, Sini and Summerville as if they all stay then chances are we play one of them there, or Gelhardt.

Striker - And here is where we need the second key signing. Bamford we can't rely on, same as Dallas will be a bonus if we get much from him. Rutter who knows what will happen with him, Gelhardt not really a 9 and Joseph unproven.

So for me it is a central midfielder, or 2 that we need with maybe 1 being more of a number 10. We also need another striker.

Farke will want signings, if we can improve any position then it would be silly not to. Him saying that he wants players everywhere though may be a bit more diplomatic than him saying he needs a player in just 1 area and upsetting the players int hat position.
For me I think a proper 10 and a quality striker are a minimum.

I think we've seen enough even with Summerville, Sini and Gnonto in vs Cardiff we are still struggling offensively at times.

A club needs that type of Hernandez, Buendia type when you are playing Park the bus sides every week, someone to thread the eye of the needle.

Agree on cm, I am minded to go with 2. I think we certainly don't have a sitting Ampadu type and I don't see much Klich box to box type someone able to chip in with goals and assists as well as the dirty stuff. People like Vrancic and McLean were vital for Farke at Norwich doing that.

So for me that's 4 as a minimum.

And then full back does worry me on both sides.

I don't trust Ayling and Firpo, they may do a job but history tells us they will fook up numerous times just depends whether we get punished.

And Byram has looked very solid tbf but he isn't a true left back and any player with his injury record can't be relied upon.

So I think 5-6 really If we are looking for an ideal squad and you could make a case for another cb as well.

You could get by with 2 or 3.

But realistically and looking at the amount of business other teams have done I think it would leave us short and likely at best hoping to scrape 5th or 6th rather than the top as we hoped.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155360
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by 1964white »

Cjay wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:20 pm A club needs that type of Hernandez, Buendia type when you are playing Park the bus sides every week, someone to thread the eye of the needle.
We've been crying out for one for years, Cjay. :tup:
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:56 pm Who's good boy Benny, paying attention as always.
Oh i know you from elsewhere and your previous, anything you write football related is generally stolen.

Any of your own goes on the back of a stamp, don't panic i'll supply you with ALL during this season, just regurgitate it well, copy n pasting won't cut it, but i know you're not that daft.

No need :tup:
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:16 pm Maybe!

Though Cody is still recovering from an injury & missed out on our pre-season, so I doubt he is match-fit yet.

We'll need him at some stage, as Farke can't expect Ayling to play three games a week in what is a long season.
WOuld imagine Cody will get to play against Salford in the cup. If he does well then it gives Farke the type of headache he will want.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Victor_OTT_17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Victor_OTT_17 »

We bought anyone yet? :mshr:
The Guitar Medic on FaceBook and on YouTube

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2026 4:35 pm Are you dense?
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:56 pm Who's good boy Benny, paying attention as always.
Are you of the opinion changing Kenny to Benny gets my goat up coz of my little play on your name, aye reet crack on.

The Oer is just more apt, nowt meant by it really, but if the cap fits, obviously gets to thee to feel the need to react with Benny, i think Sidney thinks he's found an outlet in Kennyboy as well, try that anorl, tis a cracker and you can then imagine me throwing crockery around in the house smashin plates n that going ape, if you picture that, it's quite funny in itself.

Just sayin like, owt that works for thi :tup:

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Victor_OTT_17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Victor_OTT_17 »

Do you live at your keyboard Kenneth? You've only been here 6 months longer than me and you've posted 6 times more 5h1te than I have! I'll get my :lol: :lol: :lol: 's in now as I already know your response will be both scathing and hilarious :tup:
The Guitar Medic on FaceBook and on YouTube

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2026 4:35 pm Are you dense?
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:20 pm For me I think a proper 10 and a quality striker are a minimum.

I think we've seen enough even with Summerville, Sini and Gnonto in vs Cardiff we are still struggling offensively at times.

A club needs that type of Hernandez, Buendia type when you are playing Park the bus sides every week, someone to thread the eye of the needle.

Agree on cm, I am minded to go with 2. I think we certainly don't have a sitting Ampadu type and I don't see much Klich box to box type someone able to chip in with goals and assists as well as the dirty stuff. People like Vrancic and McLean were vital for Farke at Norwich doing that.

So for me that's 4 as a minimum.

And then full back does worry me on both sides.

I don't trust Ayling and Firpo, they may do a job but history tells us they will fook up numerous times just depends whether we get punished.

And Byram has looked very solid tbf but he isn't a true left back and any player with his injury record can't be relied upon.

So I think 5-6 really If we are looking for an ideal squad and you could make a case for another cb as well.

You could get by with 2 or 3.

But realistically and looking at the amount of business other teams have done I think it would leave us short and likely at best hoping to scrape 5th or 6th rather than the top as we hoped.
Yeah would agree with fairly much all of that. For me I think a CM and Striker bare minimu, barring Rutter banging in a couple this weekend. I'd like 3 minimum, same position stiker and 2 midfield with 1 being more of a 10. I am however not concrned if someone like Sinisterra is our no.10, Pabl didn't adapt overnight and whilst Sini is different to Hernandez having him with the ball at his feet and a little bit of space could be brilliant given his long range shooting ability and also his ability to then run past a player or two and shoot. Yes he won't be playing those killer slide rule passes but could easily get double figures for goals or like we saw against Cardiff others can follow in his shots.

The rest of the team yes I'd be concerned if we were in the prem but I think at this point any of Firpo, Byram, Ayling, Drameh or Shackleton are decent enough at this level. Don't get me wrong like I said earlier if there is the option to upgrade then brilliant but if not spending money there enables us to spend more on the 2 midfielders and striker then I think I'd rather we took the latter option.

From what I have seen so far of the division I don't see any reason why we wouldn't finish top 6.
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Kennyb41 »

Overman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:01 pm It's looking that way. This Paraag guy fronting the 49ers certainly talked a good game. Let's just see how it plays out.

Try not to be dissuaded on this forum, it's comical how it seems to piss some folk off. 👍
What is quite comical is your profound love interest in me.

Elsewhere and here you seem to have a low 'tolerance' level for annoying trolls (them being your own words i think)

Now correct me if i'm wrong but you're striking me as thinking that our little 'injun' friend is annoying me, and as such you'd just love him to carry on on here with his 'football(?)' expertise, correct ?

Here let me give you a touch of advice for if anyone like me gets on your little titties, just skim read, and you'll soon feel this weight lift off your shoulders like a breath of fresh air champ.

Here, i also actually want Geronimo to hang around myself, because that little 'numpty' inside me, loves to see him getting Vic and Weasels back up, i don't know what it is abart me, but little things like that amuse me anorl, again, there's no need :tup:

Must dash.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7079
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Nine days and counting

Post by DDB220 »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:50 pm No, Drameh is a proven Championship RB, he's almost certainly better than Ayling at this point...
If Drameh is better than Ayling at this point then Farke will select him at RB. But the reality is that DF will always go with a fit Ayling as have all the previous managers all the way back to Monk.
Drameh may have had a decent season last year with Luton, but the fact is Ayling is infinitely more experienced and if he is fit to play, arm hand or otherwise he gets picked.

I truly do not understand the grievance a few particular people on this forum have with Ayling. Aye he gets roasted by pace but offensively he is the best FB we have.
User avatar
Finnatic
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 6716
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Re: Nine days and counting

Post by Finnatic »

DDB220 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:11 pm If Drameh is better than Ayling at this point then Farke will select him at RB. But the reality is that DF will always go with a fit Ayling as have all the previous managers all the way back to Monk.
Drameh may have had a decent season last year with Luton, but the fact is Ayling is infinitely more experienced and if he is fit to play, arm hand or otherwise he gets picked.

I truly do not understand the grievance a few particular people on this forum have with Ayling. Aye he gets roasted by pace but offensively he is the best FB we have.
👍🏻
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7079
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by DDB220 »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:09 pm Yeah would agree with fairly much all of that. For me I think a CM and Striker bare minimu, barring Rutter banging in a couple this weekend. I'd like 3 minimum, same position stiker and 2 midfield with 1 being more of a 10. I am however not concrned if someone like Sinisterra is our no.10, Pabl didn't adapt overnight and whilst Sini is different to Hernandez having him with the ball at his feet and a little bit of space could be brilliant given his long range shooting ability and also his ability to then run past a player or two and shoot. Yes he won't be playing those killer slide rule passes but could easily get double figures for goals or like we saw against Cardiff others can follow in his shots.

The rest of the team yes I'd be concerned if we were in the prem but I think at this point any of Firpo, Byram, Ayling, Drameh or Shackleton are decent enough at this level. Don't get me wrong like I said earlier if there is the option to upgrade then brilliant but if not spending money there enables us to spend more on the 2 midfielders and striker then I think I'd rather we took the latter option.

From what I have seen so far of the division I don't see any reason why we wouldn't finish top 6.
Let us see Firpo at this level first. Many assumed Rutter would be good at this level - the jury is very much still out.
We need a LB. We have needed one since Taylor left. Byram is decent cover for both positions but as a regular the physicality of weekly (often twice weekly) games will in all likelihood see him on the treatment table sooner rather than later. The fact he was let go by Norwich speaks volumes.
DDB220
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 7079
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 am

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by DDB220 »

All the talk of replacing Pablo. We cannot replace him in the truest sense, a player of his calibre these days will cost a fortune. We need to find a creative 10, ideally with an eye for goal. ( sounds easy on paper ) a bit like a proven goal scorer.

For me if we just get 2 players in it has to be LB and a 9.
We had the same issue last year and the year before that and we have fudged this requirement everytime.
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by weasel »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:09 pm What is quite comical is your profound love interest in me.

Elsewhere and here you seem to have a low 'tolerance' level for annoying trolls (them being your own words i think)

Now correct me if i'm wrong but you're striking me as thinking that our little 'injun' friend is annoying me, and as such you'd just love him to carry on on here with his 'football(?)' expertise, correct ?

Here let me give you a touch of advice for if anyone like me gets on your little titties, just skim read, and you'll soon feel this weight lift off your shoulders like a breath of fresh air champ.

Here, i also actually want Geronimo to hang around myself, because that little 'c**t' inside me, loves to see him getting Vic and Weasels back up, i don't know what it is abart me, but little things like that amuse me anorl, again, there's no need :tup:

Must dash.
Doesn't get my back up. I wound him up enough for him to demonstrate he clearly wasn't a Leeds fan and is just a troll that is basically trying to insult every Leeds fan but hides behind his mocking by pretending to be a fan. If others don't see it so be it and as such I simpy haven't responded to any of his posts as his 'views' are irrlevant. I do love the way he looks up something about Leeds every day so that he can introduce it into a conversation to make it look like he is a long standing Leeds fan.

That's my opinion and as such I am simply happy to ignore him and his attempts to goad me, I would suggest others do the same but as it is an open forum everyone is free to do what they want. He adds nothing that interests me in terms of footballing debate as his stock response to anything is to seemingly compare us to another club that has been run poorly. I'd rather he used well run clubs to compare us to in terms of how we have done things wrong. that would make sense.

Anyway must dash Benny...
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:25 pm Doesn't get my back up. I wound him up enough for him to demonstrate he clearly wasn't a Leeds fan and is just a troll that is basically trying to insult every Leeds fan but hides behind his mocking by pretending to be a fan. If others don't see it so be it and as such I simpy haven't responded to any of his posts as his 'views' are irrlevant. I do love the way he looks up something about Leeds every day so that he can introduce it into a conversation to make it look like he is a long standing Leeds fan.

That's my opinion and as such I am simply happy to ignore him and his attempts to goad me, I would suggest others do the same but as it is an open forum everyone is free to do what they want. He adds nothing that interests me in terms of footballing debate as his stock response to anything is to seemingly compare us to another club that has been run poorly. I'd rather he used well run clubs to compare us to in terms of how we have done things wrong. that would make sense.

Anyway must dash Benny...
IMG_7654.jpeg
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Kennyb41
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 12426
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Kennyb41 »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:50 pm No, Drameh is a proven Championship RB, he's almost certainly better than Ayling at this point...
You have zero evidence for that.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek: ...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it :lol: " - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
User avatar
Victor_OTT_17
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3291
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:27 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Victor_OTT_17 »

Kennyb41 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:09 pm Here, i also actually want Geronimo to hang around myself, because that little 'c**t' inside me, loves to see him getting Vic and Weasels back up, i don't know what it is abart me, but little things like that amuse me anorl, again, there's no need :tup:
I don't read his bilge anymore: blocked the shirt frunt...
Last edited by Victor_OTT_17 on Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Guitar Medic on FaceBook and on YouTube

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Jul 28, 2026 4:35 pm Are you dense?
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by weasel »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:40 pmIMG_7654.jpeg
Feck me you finally reveal yourself!
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
weasel
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 10:28 pm
Location: Firmly on the Danny-Magnet

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by weasel »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:44 pm I don't read his bilge anymore: blocked the shirt frunt...
We finally found something to agree on :)
Cjay wrote: ↑Sat May 17, 2025 4:23 pm I've pretended to support a team that's been crap for most of my life as part of a long term plan
Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Mon Jun 01, 2026 7:03 pm Did you post them because there's something wrong with your brain
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21207
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Nine days and counting.

Post by Jaydog »

weasel wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:44 pm Feck me you finally reveal yourself!
Sit down now. Your back’s getting in the way of Eastenders
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
Post Reply