US Masters 2026 Golf Comp

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: The Ryder Cup

Post by malcolmw »

CUSSIE01 wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:18 am Looking forward to it Malcolm, apparently the last time Europe lost on home soil was in 1993 but the US on paper should win it. Just checked the odds & Europe are 15/13 with the US at 5/4 so the bookies don’t see much in it. Outside bet of 12/1 on the draw. Come on Europe !!
Yes it's 30 years since the US won in Europe.
I have a sneaky feeling about this one. Like I said, on paper, the US can't lose, but it's matchplay - anything can happen.
I actually think these 2 teams are closer than some times in the past in the Tiger days when Europe should have been pummeled but won.

If you watch the video I posted where captain Luke takes you through how he's designed the team playing quarters and especially the locker room, it really gives an idea of how he intends pulling them together.
They are channeling Seve everywhere.

I am going to go out on a limb and say Europe will sneak a win.
User avatar
whiteswan
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 20740
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by whiteswan »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:21 pm Ah ok. This was today?
Old Bale loves his golf Swannie.
I imagine Jockeyvic might be useful too.
They're actually showing it now Jay on Sky golf
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Jaydog »

whiteswan wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:46 pm They're actually showing it now Jay on Sky golf
Thanks Swannie.
Nice one. I’ll record it.
Bit of entertainment for after the Mrs has watched Eastenders & MAFS 😂
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3350
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:02 am

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by GreennWhite »

The European locker room looks a bit like an Ikea store, with partitions and lines on the floor to show you were to walk :)
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Jaydog »

Don’t see much between them. We have some top draw rookies. Aberg & Straka. Won’t be scared of the Americans.
JT in terrible form for team USA. Definitely a toss up.
We’ll sneak it at home.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:21 pm Ah ok. This was today?
Old Bale loves his golf Swannie.
I imagine Jockeyvic might be useful too.
Those guys playing today might be celebs but they can definitely play.
Djokovic was the highest handicap in his fourball and he plays off 5.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:20 pm Those guys playing today might be celebs but they can definitely play.
Djokovic was the highest handicap in his fourball and he plays off 5.
No surprise at all. It’s annoying really 😁
I remember Nigel Mansell was a scratch golfer and was going to turn pro. Very big difference and he’d have had no chance but didn’t in the end as far as I know.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
KansasCole
Ballboy
Ballboy
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:44 pm
Location: Kansas City, USA

Re: The Ryder Cup

Post by KansasCole »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:55 am I love the Ryder Cup and golf in general. As I posted on the golf thread, I don't fancy our chances but live in hope.
I think the 19-9 mauling from two years ago will have left some deep scars and although the core of our team is strong (McIlroy, Rahm, Hovland, Fleetwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick), you have to wonder if the team as whole will be strong enough.
Nevertheless I will be watching.
COME ON EUROPE!
For me it is the greatest event in world sport. The passion, the drama, and the unrivaled fan experience make it a can't miss event. I think the 2 teams might be a bit more even than they appear on paper, hoping for another Yank victory but as others have said you just can't ever count out the Euros when it comes to this event.

My lifetime goal is to make it to one of these live, right now I have my sights set on the 2027 cup in Ireland. While I would love to get to one on home soil as well for the experience, we have been talking about a trip to Ireland for a while now and '27 might line up perfectly with those plans.
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Chilli D »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:24 pm No surprise at all. It’s annoying really 😁
I remember Nigel Mansell was a scratch golfer and was going to turn pro. Very big difference and he’d have had no chance but didn’t in the end as far as I know.
Julian Dicks (ex West Ham) and Jimmy Bullard both attempted to turn pro as well and neither got close.
I remember Bullard played in a couple of Europro tournaments which is the third level of pro golf and didn’t even make the cut.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Jaydog »

Chilli D wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:35 pm Julian Dicks (ex West Ham) and Jimmy Bullard both attempted to turn pro as well and neither got close.
I remember Bullard played in a couple of Europro tournaments which is the third level of pro golf and didn’t even make the cut.
As you know the gulf is massive. You need way more than talent to make it in that game.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:20 am
Location: Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by malcolmw »

GreennWhite wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:03 pm The European locker room looks a bit like an Ikea store, with partitions and lines on the floor to show you were to walk :)
All in Leeds colours though. Maybe we can pick it for a song afterwards and replace the Seve locker with a Billy B locker.
I really like the idea.
Most of the 'since departed' players from last season would have said "who's that bloke?"
User avatar
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 13923
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm
Location: No Longer Lousiana - Southern Illinois

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by John in Louisiana »

Jaydog wrote: ↑Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:19 pm Don’t see much between them. We have some top draw rookies. Aberg & Straka. Won’t be scared of the Americans.
JT in terrible form for team USA. Definitely a toss up.
We’ll sneak it at home.
y thoughts exactly, instead of "We'll sneak it at home," I believe, "They'll sneak it at home."

;-)
User avatar
Jaydog
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 21205
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
Location: Here

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Jaydog »

John in Louisiana wrote: ↑Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:11 pm y thoughts exactly, instead of "We'll sneak it at home," I believe, "They'll sneak it at home."

;-)
Let the fun begin :roflmao:
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Madron »

Out of all the players involved (both sides) if i had to pick 2 to play for me, it would be Rahm and Rory. If those 2 play 5 times and can get at least 3 1/2 points each Europe should win. Those 2 are pivotal for me.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9733
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Europe 2 up in one & all square in 3, decent looking course
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9733
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Europe 2up in 3 all square in one. 👏🏻👏🏻
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Madron »

USA haven't turned up yet- Europe up in all 4
WhiteRose
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3693
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:24 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by WhiteRose »

Might regret saying it later in the weekend but I want a close tournament, nothing worse than the Sunday becoming a formality - so not sure I want a 4-0 in the first round
User avatar
Madron
Manager
Manager
Posts: 3661
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:46 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Madron »

WhiteRose wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:31 am Might regret saying it later in the weekend but I want a close tournament, nothing worse than the Sunday becoming a formality - so not sure I want a 4-0 in the first round
remember last week ?
I'd love 4-0
User avatar
Chilli D
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 8783
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Golf Thread - The Ryder Cup

Post by Chilli D »

Madron wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:38 am remember last week ?
I'd love 4-0
Exactly.
USA won the first session 4-0 in the Solheim but still didn't win.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Post Reply