Music Chat Thread

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Post Reply
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:20 am Forgot about that. I only seem to be able to post the links anyway, they never embed.
As I posted earlier, mine wasn't a song link.

I had to post up the clip, so our good people on here could offer an opinion.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:47 am Agree with what he says about Hounds, Sea Change, and Blonde On Blonde, particularly; less so 5D, Bookends and Boatman's Call.
I enjoy all his favourite albums, Sail Away is wonderful, however as for compiling a top ten, I'm unsure I could come up with such a limited number as there are 100's of albums I adore.
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:52 am I wouldn't agree that Hounds is populist or safe, certainly not lyrically. Musically it's a fuller sound, but better for it imo, and still pushing boundaries, particularly with the ninth wave. Her last great, and best, album, for me.
As you know The Dreaming for me is the pinnacle, experimental and quite wonderful, I feel Hounds was the antidote for The Dreaming, it’s great but it didn’t build on the Dreaming for me.

Here we are debating albums by an artist who only made one poor album.

Lionheart I love, the songwriting is exquisite, that’s at 2.

I’m on a phone so gonna stop there, hate one finger typing
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

A top 10 today would be different to a top 10 next week

Still trying to assemble the one track per year playlist, I’m about 15 tracks into that… 42 to go
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:20 am Forgot about that. I only seem to be able to post the links anyway, they never embed.
DL or Nobby would have Sid that, not me though
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
Rook
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Rook »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:18 am I assume all our music connoisseurs own Norman's top ten albums of all time.

All subjective of course!




The only record in his list that might go in a top 10 of mine would be 'Revolver'
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:52 am I wouldn't agree that Hounds is populist or safe, certainly not lyrically. Musically it's a fuller sound, but better for it imo, and still pushing boundaries, particularly with the ninth wave. Her last great, and best, album, for me.
And me, though I did love Kate's 2005 album 'Aerial'.
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:47 pm There are certain ones that would have to be in... Spirit of Eden or Feast of Wire, for example... but beyond that, an ever changing cast...
Sheer essence!
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:39 pm The only record in his list that might go in a top 10 of mine would be 'Revolver'
Love it Rook, but being an initial Beatles fan in the early 60s. I would 8-)
User avatar
Rook
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1513
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:02 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Rook »

1964white wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:07 pm Love it Rook, but being an initial Beatles fan in the early 60s. I would 8-)

Would you consider it to be their best album, Leon?
I smell blood and an era of prominent mad men - W.H. Auden
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

Rook wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:16 pm Would you consider it to be their best album, Leon?
Toss up between Revolver or Rubber Soul.

Their final album Let It Be is underrated imo!

I enjoy all their studio albums.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by BradWhite »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:34 pm Listening to the new Steven Wilson album Released late Sept 2023
"The Harmony Codex"
Didn't like his last album but this one needs a few listens imo.
Jury is still out.
The new album is a grower, I do prefer Porcupine Tree though but their last album was a bit disappointing.

Fantastic live though.
User avatar
BradWhite
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2207
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:42 pm
Location: General at Ivory Tower

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by BradWhite »

Here's a few I have recently purchased.

Goat - Medicine.
Paolo Nutini - Last Night In The Bittersweet.
Cult Of Luna - The Long Road North.
Within Temptation - Ritual.
Slowdive - Everything is Alive.
User avatar
Musicman1965
First Team
First Team
Posts: 2144
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:11 pm

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Musicman1965 »

BradWhite wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:21 pm Here's a few I have recently purchased.

Goat - Medicine.
Paolo Nutini - Last Night In The Bittersweet.
Cult Of Luna - The Long Road North.
Within Temptation - Ritual.
Slowdive - Everything is Alive.
Thanks for the album tips, I will check them out. Its becoming very difficult to find new music these days.
User avatar
CUSSIE01
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Posts: 9735
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:45 am
Location: Where God finally got it right.

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by CUSSIE01 »

Victor_Notts-17 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 am This is some of the stuff I like (though I like many styles of music): I have 2 of Borstal guitarist Jamie Hunter (one of 2 guitarists in the band) guitars in my workshop right now...

WHOAAAA , was just listening to ' Slowdive, one of Bradwhite's suggestions & clicked on your video Victor, nearly blew me out of the chair. That should come with a health warning.
“ If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don’t even start “ Charles Bukowski.
User avatar
Lorimer46
First Team
First Team
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:22 pm
Twitter: @dsc67
Location: Tweedbank, Scottish Borders

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by Lorimer46 »

Last two albums I bought were - End all the days & Coward of us all both by Wrest , an Edinburgh based band who I saw live last weekend, was an excellent night .that good a night I decided to buy tickets for there gig at the Barrowlands in Glasgow next August .There's a small independent venue about 15 minutes away from where I live , been there 20+ times this year and still got another 3or 4 to go seen loads of different genres of music and never been disappointed . I just love live music. Bands I'd recommend Vistas , Wrest , Gorilla Riot , These Wicked Rivers , The Urban Vodoo Machine
" The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley "
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Musicman1965 wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:51 pm Thanks for the album tips, I will check them out. Its becoming very difficult to find new music these days.
Really? it's been a banner year.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
1964white
Lord Southwold
Lord Southwold
Posts: 155201
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am
Twitter: @1964white

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by 1964white »

The Subhuman wrote: ↑Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:22 pm Really? it's been a banner year.
Albums I adore, released over the last eighteen months.

Jalen Ngonda 'Come Around & Love Me'

Anohni and the Johnsons 'My Back Was A Bridge For You To Cross'

Billy Valentine & The Universal Truth 'Billy Valentine & The Universal Truth'

The Delines 'The Sea Drift'

PJ Harvey 'I Inside the Old Year Dying'

Little Simz 'Sometimes I Might Be Introvert'

Yard Act 'The Overload'

David Bowie 'Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars: The Motion Picture Soundtrack' [50th Anniversary Edition | Soundtrack]

David Bowie 'Moonage Daydream - Music from the film'

Not much in there for head-bangers & proggers, just beautiful music from other genres that exist in the modern world.

Toss up between the top three in the above list for my album of the year.

I must have played The Delines 'Sea Drift' album over 500 times, it's so gorgeous, beautiful & soothing 8-)
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

Anonymous wrote: ↑Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am I'd also add David Eugene Edwards - Hyacinth to the list.
As you say, another good album and now we have a new Goat too
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
User avatar
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar
Posts: 79025
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
Location: God's own county

Re: Music Chat Thread.

Post by The Subhuman »

New Alice Phoebe Lou too, which I know isn't to your taste Sara... so no clue why I'm mentioning it.
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Post Reply