Weston McKennie
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.
Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
I think there's every chance Weston took a look around him and wondered who actually was putting any effort in, or indeed knew their role in the team, or what formation was being played.
What DF has instilled here you can feel has become infectious on the players attitudes towards team effort and a winning mentality.
Other things can also become infectious.
He knew fck all about Leeds, but he knew he was getting handsomely paid win or lose, and the outcome was probably neither here nor there to him, though i think he wanted to win, but wasn't gonna lose any sleep.
What DF has instilled here you can feel has become infectious on the players attitudes towards team effort and a winning mentality.
Other things can also become infectious.
He knew fck all about Leeds, but he knew he was getting handsomely paid win or lose, and the outcome was probably neither here nor there to him, though i think he wanted to win, but wasn't gonna lose any sleep.
Last edited by Kennyb41 on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- AcrossThePondAsh
- Manager

- Posts: 4931
- Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:03 am
- Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC, USA
Re: Weston McKennie
Good point, KB. If you join a team full of eventual rats, it probably makes it hard to have a great attitudeKennyb41 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:37 am I think there's every chance Weston took a look around him and wondered who actually was putting any effort in, or indeed knew their role in the team, or what formation was being played.
What DF has instilled here you can feel has become infectious on the players attitudes towards team effort and a winning mentality.
Other things can also become infectious.
- AcrossThePondAsh
- Manager

- Posts: 4931
- Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:03 am
- Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC, USA
Re: Weston McKennie
I would agree, Jay. Crucial attribute and he has even admitted that his was s**t at times during his stay. Not making excuses, just saying there was a lot stacked against him and I do think he's capable of more. Shame we didn't get to see it.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21202
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Weston McKennie
Nonsense for me. I’d rather have 11 Dan James attitudes. And his wouldn’t change just because someone else’s did. Of course 11 of Dan continuously not finding an end product would be annoying.
But I do love his attitude.
But I do love his attitude.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- AcrossThePondAsh
- Manager

- Posts: 4931
- Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:03 am
- Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC, USA
Re: Weston McKennie
That's 11 pair of wee legs running very quickly all over the pitch
I've always rated Dan. After all, any man that has enough attitude to cry for the camera when their girlfriend gives them a puppy is plenty of a man for me lol
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFehgUq0gfQ
I've always rated Dan. After all, any man that has enough attitude to cry for the camera when their girlfriend gives them a puppy is plenty of a man for me lol
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFehgUq0gfQ
Last edited by AcrossThePondAsh on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
- The Subhuman
- Superstar

- Posts: 78985
- Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:03 am
- Location: God's own county
Re: Weston McKennie
Ayling and Dallas etc were long timers, completely different to someone coming to the UK to play in that mess, he was out of condition too when he arrived...
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21202
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Weston McKennie
Pointless now but wasn’t it him that started the half time meltdown with Gracia at the helm. Allegedly.AcrossThePondAsh wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:43 am I would agree, Jay. Crucial attribute and he has even admitted that his was s**t at times during his stay. Not making excuses, just saying there was a lot stacked against him and I do think he's capable of more. Shame we didn't get to see it.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
But imagine DJ going to another club on loan, he's grafting and putting 100% effort in and coming off knackered, how long dya think he'd continue with it ?
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
If that's the case, he's a twat.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21202
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Weston McKennie
Honestly. I think he doesn’t know any other way to be.
It’s built in with him. And I’ve never been his biggest fan. Bielsa rated him (in part down to his attitude most likely) what do you think he would’ve made of Weston.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
I don't know feck all about any of this as i only read here and don't particularly tread the internet.Anonymous wrote: ↑Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:49 am Marsch was an imbecile, but an oft repeated trope at the time was that the players were at least trying for him... way beyond the duration of what would seem reasonable, given the absurdity of the tactics and training. I don't think Gracia was a bad manager per se... something happened in the dressing room, probably players falling out, and it was totally broken after that.
McKennie brought his issues with him. He was never going to work, given his off field antics and the attitude they displayed. No one at Elland Road was responsible for that, or the arrogant and divisive USMNT type that followed him online, and which he did nothing to distance himself from. If he was a lightning rod for the fans frustration, he totally brought that on himself by playing Billy Big Bollocks, and then not delivering the goods.
My overriding opinion of him right from the off, and i commented at the time, was - The guy looked unfit, was only firing on 2 cylinders, not up to the speed of the Prem, but had a touch of class about him.
I thought he'd be a baller if he was 'Bertfit'
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Ben Scooby lufc
- Reserve Player

- Posts: 329
- Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 am
- Location: Leamington spa
Re: Weston McKennie
He just didn't seem up to the fast pace of the premier league. Tbh I'm not too sure that he would have been good enough even at our current level.....Yeah we didn't really have a decent squad either but his overall effort was one of the reasons for the relagation. It seemed more that Jesse marche just wanted to give English football opportunities to players from the States.
Tyler Adams was the better American International.
Tyler Adams was the better American International.
- AcrossThePondAsh
- Manager

- Posts: 4931
- Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:03 am
- Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, NC, USA
Re: Weston McKennie
Interesting thought, Jay. I imagine Bert would have inspired a very different McKennie than JM.
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21202
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Weston McKennie
Half time bust up between him & Roca v Palace led to a 2nd half meltdown is what I remember. Ayling supposedly ripped in to them both after a piss poor goal was conceded just before HT. They had a fight maybe. All conjecture obviously
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
Bert ?
If he din't get to the fitness levels Bert demanded, he'd have fcked him off - If he did get to the levels, i think he'd be fcking good - In the hands of Bert that is.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21202
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Weston McKennie
Yes.
Not a Bert player in my book. Dan is because he’ll run like f**k all day. Doesn’t look like he’d ever question anything he’s asked to do.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
Quite simply Dog, Bert just wouldn't even entertain him until he reached the level of fitness he wanted.
He would've rotted in the reserves until fit, no ifs no buts.
He would've rotted in the reserves until fit, no ifs no buts.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
Weston had a good touch, some silky skills, and vision.
DJ has none of those.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Kennyb41
- Superstar

- Posts: 12426
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:15 am
Re: Weston McKennie
Combine the 2 into 1, and now you're talking Dog.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game
...That Ayling goal and "You couldn't script it
" - Dirty Leeds B@stard.
Must dash.
;@)
Must dash.
;@)
- Jaydog
- Superstar

- Posts: 21202
- Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:52 pm
- Location: Here
Re: Weston McKennie
That’s my point. Like I said not always been a great fan of DJ but I’d take him any day over a fat lazy slob with a bad attitude. Not aiming that entirely at WM, anyone who fits the bill.
I declare my love for Saint Daniel and I can shoehorn him in to any conversation.