The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th February) Tough decision for Farke ahead of Friday thriller

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th February) Tough decision for Farke ahead of Friday thriller

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Tuesday 20th February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Tough decision for Farke ahead of Friday thriller

Leeds boss Daniel Farke faces a selection dilemma ahead of the top of the table clash with Leicester City on Friday night. With Dan James fit again having taken a knock to the knee against Preston a month ago, the gaffer must decide whether he can afford to drop Wilfred Gnonto! The plucky 20yo has netted four times in as many games in James' absence. It's not just James' pace that has terrified defenders. With ten goals, six assists and an incredible 'Whoscored' rating of 7.13 (3rd), the 26 year old has shown some of the best from in his career this season.

Would you take a draw if offered

Leeds are on a roll. Eight straight wins have catapulted the Whites into second place in the Championship, but they face an altogether new challenge on Friday night with the visit of Leicester City. The Foxes are on course for a record points tally this season, having taken the Championship by storm, racking up 78 points from 33 games so far. They lost the reverse fixture back in November at the King Power Stadium 1-0, thanks to a tap-it by Rutter on the hour mark, but are now out for blood.

Daniel Farke's need for three points is greater than Leicester's. There may be 13 games left, but Leeds won't want to surrender second spot to Southampton, especially when they are on such a fine run themselves. If you could guarantee a point now, would you take it, or risk defeat at the hands of the league leaders?

What a big Jesse

Speaking last night on Monday Night Football, a clearly emotional Jesse Marsch told of his heartbreak when sacked by Leeds Utd twelve months ago.

Marsch was a guest on the Sky Sports show, previewing the Everton v Crystal Palace clash, but it was the 50yo that found himself in a sticky situation, recalling the pain and emotion after receiving his marching orders last February.

Working with the players was fantastic. They fought and gave everything they had for me. I appreciated working with them, I really enjoyed the whole process and the team that we were becoming. And so, even earlier when I said I was heartbroken, really, it was really difficult for me to say goodbye. And I never did say goodbye to them, because I couldn’t. I couldn’t stand in front of them because I knew I’d break down. So I just individually dealt with a lot of them.

Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th February) Tough decision for Farke ahead of Friday thriller

Post by Chilli D »

I cannot see DF dropping Gnonto for the Leicester game. Four goals in four games and he's playing well so I don't see how he can be left out.
We have the added luxury of bringing James on later in the game as their defenders tire.

I wouldn't take a point right now as I believe we can win it but only getting a point won't be a disaster. Let's not forget, Southampton still have to go to us, Ipswich and Leicester so there's every chance they will drop points.
The flowers of common sense do not grow in everyone's garden
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Tuesday 20th February) Tough decision for Farke ahead of Friday thriller

Post by Carrick Dave »

I agree, Gnonto must surely start with James coming on later depending on how things go.

Against Leicester a draw would represent two points dropped in the primary battle against Southampton and Ipswich, like it would if we drew against any other team, so we need maximum points from the game.

The fact that Leeds winning it opens up the race for top spot while a draw probably puts Leicester beyond the chasing pack is actually a secondary issue.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Cringe worthy speech that Jesse wanted to give before leaving, but never gave because his agents feared it could be viewed as too derivative of Ted Lasso.

Dear Leeds Team,

As I bid adieu to this sacred pitch, I am reminded of Gandhi's wise words: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world, or in this case, the Premier League standings." As I depart, let us embrace the spirit of non-violence, both on and off the field, and remember that the true measure of any team is how they treat each other in times of defeat.

In the words of the great Mahatma, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others, or in our case, lose a few matches to find our true potential." May you continue to strive for greatness, and may my departure serve as a catalyst for the team's transformation into a force to be reckoned with. Like a phoenix rising from the fire... beauty from ashes... I have become destroyer of worlds, for the benefit of the club.

Look apon this time as a paradox wraped inside an enigma... a conundrum that will be revealed in the end times. I willingly accept this rejection knowing that my departure will lead to your salvation and reincarnation

Remember, "The future depends on what you do today," and today the management have chosen to sack me. It is hard for me to accept this, for I believe we were finally begining to play the Red Bull way... I even narrowed the pitch to facilitate the RB approach... that's how much I cared. May the spirit of Gandhi guide you onwards and upwards... and may the camels of your enemies forever run in circles.

Sincerely,
Jesse Marsch
Ratscoot
Manager
Manager

Post by Ratscoot »

Morning EB et all,

Gnonto starts and then DJ comes on in the second half when Leicester are flagging, hopefully getting more than 10mins so he has a chance to impact the game.

I think we'll win, by the odd goal, can't see us smashing them even though I'd love it to happen as my boss and his sons will be in the away end as they are all Leicester fans.

When someone finally decides to put a bullet between Trumps beady eyes can they add Marsch to the list as well, as that's the only way he'll shut the f' up.
A bumble bee under the laws of physics shouldnt be able to fly, but it does because no one has told it that it can't
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Sean_Nile wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:03 am Cringe worthy speech that Jesse wanted to give before leaving, but never gave because his agents feared it could be viewed as too derivative of Ted Lasso.

Dear Leeds Team,

As I bid adieu to this sacred pitch, I am reminded of Gandhi's wise words: "You must be the change you wish to see in the world, or in this case, the Premier League standings." As I depart, let us embrace the spirit of non-violence, both on and off the field, and remember that the true measure of any team is how they treat each other in times of defeat.

In the words of the great Mahatma, "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others, or in our case, lose a few matches to find our true potential." May you continue to strive for greatness, and may my departure serve as a catalyst for the team's transformation into a force to be reckoned with. Like a phoenix rising from the fire... beauty from ashes... I have become destroyer of worlds, for the benefit of the club.

Look apon this time as a paradox wraped inside an enigma... a conundrum that will be revealed in the end times. I willingly accept this rejection knowing that my departure will lead to your salvation and reincarnation

Remember, "The future depends on what you do today," and today the management have chosen to sack me. It is hard for me to accept this, for I believe we were finally begining to play the Red Bull way... I even narrowed the pitch to facilitate the RB approach... that's how much I cared. May the spirit of Gandhi guide you onwards and upwards... and may the camels of your enemies forever run in circles.

Sincerely,
Jesse Marsch
:lol: :clap: :clap:
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

The big story us Charlie Alllen out on loan to York.

One of the last of a group of recruits who course blossom in the real deal. A big chance for the young Ulsterman to show his worth.
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Unless there are injuries, no need to change a winning team.
Barlow Boy
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’d be staggered if James replaces Gnonto on Friday.

I’m not Gnonto’s biggest fan after all the refusing to play etc, but there’s no way he can be dropped after his recent form.
Don’t cry because you said goodbye to your pet, smile because you said hello
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

DF won't drop Gnonto for James I'm sure, he's earned his place and took his chance, like others have said, bring DJ on for 25-30 minutes if needed and let him loose, we'll have to see which way the game is going before any subs enter the fray, still a dozen league games after Friday and 4 in the FA cup to come, we'll need all our players.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

Looks unanimous.

Gnonto should start / James as impact sub.

We won't accept a drawer as we think we can win.

Jesse - I suspect the emotion is real, he did care and had the team success at his heart. The application of coaching was less successful but you can't knock his passion.
BlackHillsPaul
First Team
First Team

Post by BlackHillsPaul »

Leeds 3 - 1 Leicester

I think DF will stick with Gnonto as the starter. James comes on and scores the 3rd goal. 8-)
Football/Futbol/Soccer
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Deffo wouldn't take a point if offered now. You do that maybe against a team you expect to beat you. Leicester are a decent side but so are we.

I rather think if Marsch had tried to do a leaving speech to the group that several wouldn't have shown up to it or they would have simply gone to wave him goodbye along the lines of 'F*ck off.'