The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st February) Leeds made right choice with Rodon

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st February) Leeds made right choice with Rodon

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Wednesday 21st February, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Leeds made right choice with Rodon

Leeds considered Nat Phillips and Taylor Harwood-Bellis before finalising a deal with Spurs to bring Joe Rodon to Elland Road last Summer, according to Leeds Utd journalist Phil Hay. The 26 year old is enjoying the time of his life at Leeds, and has been instrumental to their success this season. Leeds have only conceded 26 times in 33 games, the joint highest in the Championship (along with Leicester City), and have kept 14 clean sheets!

Recruitment of centre-backs in particular has long since changed from the days when basic defensive attributes were a priority, and that was demonstrated by the options Leeds took an interest in during the summer window: Liverpool’s Nat Phillips, Manchester City’s Taylor Harwood-Bellis and Joe Rodon of Tottenham Hotspur.

Rodon was the loanee they moved to secure but it was no coincidence that promotion-race rivals Southampton signed Harwood-Bellis. These are central defenders who fit a certain type. Rodon has been pivotal to Farke’s approach and Leeds’ good form, but allied to his comfort in possession are traits that are helping make Leeds very sturdy — not least the pace required to hold a high line.

Though Leeds do not concede often, the first problem for opponents is that they do not make it easy for you to even get the chance to score. Like Bielsa’s machine in 2019-20, Farke’s second-placed team limit shots on target massively, with a mere 79 against this season (or 2.5 per 90).

Photo credit https://depositphotos.com/

Saints crash at home to Hull

Hull City mended relations (temporarily of course) with bitter rivals Leeds by winning at St Mary's last night; a game which on paper, looked odds on for the hosts! First half goals from Anass Zaroury and Fabio Carvalho were enough to give the Tigers victory over the Saints, and although Aribo pulled one back just before injury time, Hull hung on for all three points, propelling them back into the play off places.

Rotherham too, almost came to Leeds assistance after a valiant fight back at Portman Road. With four minutes of extra time on the clock, the Millers equalised from 12 yards to make the scoreline 3-3. Unfortunately, Ipswich went straight up the other end, and grabbed the winner with the last kick of the game, elevating them to third. Only goal difference separates them from Leeds in second, though at least they have played the same number of games now!

Odds slashed on Leeds auto promotion

Leading bookmakers Bet365 have slashed the odds of Leeds finishing their 23/24 season in style, to 5/6. The betting giant believe Leeds will join Leicester City in the Premier League next season, by way of automatic promotion, following Southampton's unexpected loss last night. Southampton are 2/1, whilst third placed Ipswich are fourth favourites at 5/2.

£925m windfall for clubs outside the top flight

The Premier League have called an emergency meeting to thrash out a financial deal that could see as much as £925m filtered through the Championship, League One and League Two. The Premier League are under pressure to share some of their wealth, whether it be by agreement, or imposed by a regulator! The gulf in riches between the Premier League, and the rest of the Football league has always been vast, with many clubs falling foul of their financial limitations to try and reach the promised land. It's not great timing for Leeds. They are likely to be contributing to it, rather than receiving part of it, but it's a small price to pay if they get promoted.

mentalcase

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st February) Leeds made right choice with Rodon

Post by mentalcase »

Morning all
It's clear for all to see the massive impact Joe has had for us, bit also for himself, he's finally found a manager that puts faith in him.

great result for us at southampton and shame rotherham couldn't hang on,but only weeks ago were behind by a lot of points, now we are ahead and all on same played, hopefully we keep it going starting with a win on Friday.

I don't care about the odds,let's just get the job done.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Wednesday 21st February) Leeds made right choice with Rodon

Post by 1964white »

Neither Phillips or Harwood-Bellis are as solid or in the same class as Rodon.
Sean_Nile
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Sean_Nile »

In light of alleged breaches of pertinent bylaws, the Football Association (FA) contends that Jesse March narrowed the pitch at the Leeds football ground by 2cm below the regulation pitch size and thus Leeds United is ineligible to partake in the distribution of the earmarked £925 million.

The FA posits that Jesse Marsch breeched the acceptable dress code for managers by wearing skinny jeans inappropriate for his age, and went beyond the bounds of good taste and decorum, thus bring the game into disrepute.

These purported infractions necessitate meticulous scrutiny, and as per established procedures, the organization seeks to invoke legal and regulatory frameworks to preclude any financial allocation to Leeds United, invoking clauses to circumvent disbursement in accordance with their interpretation of the existing bylaws.

Furthermore a class action will be brought against Jesse Marsch for causing mental distress to the majority of the Leeds players by the excessive use of Ghandi quotes.

A seperate court action is being brought be fans who suffered from listening to his pre and post game interviews.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Who would have thought that Southampton would fall below Ipswich? Much more clarity in the table now with everyone having played the same number of games.

Not sure what difference the trickle down money will make. Whatever money clubs have, it's all relative. Teams will spend to the max of their resources in order to compete with the rest of the division. I suppose they will impose tough FFP regulations alongside that ensuring that all lower league clubs remain stable.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

13M per club if distributed evenly, be nice if some trickled down even further, maybe got referees better training
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

The Subhuman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:57 pm 13M per club if distributed evenly, be nice if some trickled down even further, maybe got referees better training
Plus specs or contact lenses.
Also, those complete fuckwits at VAR.
Why don't they do away with the coppers nark as well and send their unnescassary wages to lower league teams.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
ruttermania
Youth Team
Youth Team

Post by ruttermania »

The capacity of the Championship to throw up surprise results even in a season where the top 4 have been so dominant should never be underestimated . This is one of the many reasons why DF has proved to be the ideal manager for Leeds this season. When all the doom mongers overreact to the odd blip or the incurable optimists extrapolate from a bit of a run he brings it all back down to earth and focuses on what can be controlled. This has become imbued in the squad which is now much more cohesive which gives them the capacity to grind out results even when it gets edgy . Rodon epitomises this and he has grown in stature as the season has gone on and even when he is having a bit of an off day he doesn't hide .
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

1964white wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:14 am Neither Phillips or Harwood-Bellis are as solid or in the same class as Rodon.
It would be interesting to see what people's views were on Rodon when he was linked with us. I can't recall if I offered an opinion mbut must admit I knew nothing about him as a footballer prior to him signing on loan for us.
mentalcase

Post by mentalcase »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:49 pm It would be interesting to see what people's views were on Rodon when he was linked with us. I can't recall if I offered an opinion mbut must admit I knew nothing about him as a footballer prior to him signing on loan for us.
I asked my mate whos a spurs ST holder, said he didn't get a look in,nor a chance, and although a few rated him, he was never going to fit in the new regime, we've seen that many times ourselves.
Often happens, many players for whatever reason , just don't get in their parent club.
Their loss is our gain.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

weasel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:49 pm It would be interesting to see what people's views were on Rodon when he was linked with us. I can't recall if I offered an opinion mbut must admit I knew nothing about him as a footballer prior to him signing on loan for us.
I doubt any of us had seen Rodon play for Spurs or Swansea to judge him at the time. I believe we made the correct choice.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

On rodon this was the quote from my good pal who’s a spurs fan (august 10th 2023).

“ Joe Rodon will do well. He never got a decent run of games at Spurs. Solid performer for Wales.”