Pre Chelsea chat

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Pre Chelsea chat

Post by Cjay »

Pre match thread.

Will we go full strength or rest key players?

Will it be an Arsenal type performance like under Bielsa years ago in the cup?

Which of the 375 Chelsea players will start?
mentalcase

Re: Pre Chelsea chat

Post by mentalcase »

I think we go full team.
Hopefully we win, some might say it's a free hit, we haven't come this far for a free hit, we've come to beat them, whether we do or not we'll have to wait and see.
We are capable of giving them a game, if firpo is on again, I fear for the worst, but it will be a barometer of how good we are.
"Critics are men that watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors"
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

I reckon Farke will make at least three changes.

I'm rarely negative about our chances but, I'm not confident of progressing to the quarter-finals.

Hopefully, we put in a similar show to the one in the Arsenal cup match under Bielsa.

A battering could destroy our confidence.

A big test for our young lads.
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I would expect Roberts to be given a start - if he isnt cup tied - and James to start. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kamara reseted and either Gray or Ampadu in midfield. WOuld expect Piroe to start as Farke may want to give Bamford longer to fully recover but look to give Bamford 20-30 minutes.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Meslier
Roberts
Shackleton assuming Byram out
Gruev
Rodon
Ampadu
James
Kamara
Bamford
Georginio
Gnonto
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:07 pm I would expect Roberts to be given a start - if he isnt cup tied - and James to start. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kamara reseted and either Gray or Ampadu in midfield. WOuld expect Piroe to start as Farke may want to give Bamford longer to fully recover but look to give Bamford 20-30 minutes.
He isn't, Kamara needs to be resetted
"Never debate an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and they have the advantage of experience"
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

I think Farke will go with his best eleven.

Don't expect a win. Just want to be competitive.

Mostly I'm hoping to see we have a core of players capable of playing at a Premier League level.
Clitheroe White
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Clitheroe White »

John in Louisiana wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:16 am I think Farke will go with his best eleven.

Don't expect a win. Just want to be competitive.

Mostly I'm hoping to see we have a core of players capable of playing at a Premier League level.
Agreed.

One tweak. I think we see Roberts start for the first time.
Madron
First Team
First Team

Post by Madron »

I see it as a win-win game.
Lose and we haven't got the Cup distraction during the run-in.
Nice to look forward to a game with no stress.
Would be nice to win though, because its Chelsea.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

weasel wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:07 pm I would expect Roberts to be given a start - if he isnt cup tied - and James to start. Wouldn't be surprised to see Kamara reseted and either Gray or Ampadu in midfield. WOuld expect Piroe to start as Farke may want to give Bamford longer to fully recover but look to give Bamford 20-30 minutes.
Yeah i expect Piroe to start and keep Bambi in cotton wool till weekend, he might actually keep him rested v Hudds as well.
I wouldn't, but like you say he'll probably give him 20 mins.

I feel he's managing them well and although there's been some travelling the fixtures following some tough games have been quite kind, there should be enough rest from Weds night to the Hudds game to be able to manage the players.

It was a cracking idea to stay over after a long night game like Plymouth and BC, who the hell wants to get on a coach for 5 hours at daft O clock after a game where you've run your socks off, being able to put your feet up in a nice comfy hotel room with no thoughts of the travel is just common sense for the whole set up.

If Chelsea dabble a lot with their team which i think they will, it could be a leveler in our favour, i 100% want us to win, but knowing we can 100% concentrate on the promotion if we lose, so losing this won't bother me that much if at all.

Totally looking forward to how we fair though, especially if Chelsea put their recent best team out he's found.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:

;@)
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Not bothered about the result, though dont want to see us get the run ragged.
Main thing for me is we dont pick up any injuries to key players.
We all wonder how we can/could cope if we get promoted well this will give us a taste of what we can expect. We are in a great run of form and the players will be excited about pitting their wits against Chelsea, so fingers crossed we do ourselves justice. In a strange way even if we loose but play well it will give the lads even more confidence to finish of this season well and go for that automatic promotion place.
1964white
Twitter: @1964white

Post by 1964white »

Hopefully Piroe starts & Bamford is rested & conserved for the Huddersfield game.
Musicman1965
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by Musicman1965 »

Our focus must be on getting out of the Championship and this fixture is just a distraction. The bigger picture is that Leeds can not afford to risk key players. I would give Anthony a start plus Joseph up front. Its a tricky situation for Farke.. 12 games to go for promotion or a chance to progress in the cup.
GreennWhite
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by GreennWhite »

Musicman1965 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:29 pm Our focus must be on getting out of the Championship and this fixture is just a distraction. The bigger picture is that Leeds can not afford to risk key players. I would give Anthony a start plus Joseph up front. Its a tricky situation for Farke.. 12 games to go for promotion or a chance to progress in the cup.
Absolutely, its a no brainer. Wish we weren't playing this game at all. About the only thing that it will do is let us see how much more we will need to improve if we do go up.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

They lost in 3rd round to Spurs. Roberts was on bench but did not play. I think that makes him available.

Agree with what you say on Bamford and would be same for Byram if available
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

In terms of money spent they may be the worst side in the Premier League.

Starting 11 and subs today cost about £600million.

Lost vs basically Liverpool reserves and some children
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
Carrick Dave
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Carrick Dave »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:53 pm In terms of money spent they may be the worst side in the Premier League.

Starting 11 and subs today cost about £600million.

Lost vs basically Liverpool reserves and some children
Poch will be pissed. We might suffer as a result I fear.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Carrick Dave wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:00 pm Poch will be pissed. We might suffer as a result I fear.
We should suffer on paper, that Chelsea squad was assembled to win titles and should walk through us.

Poch though is struggling.

Worse win record than in terms of permanent managers
Lampard
Sarri
Conte
AVB
Di Matteo
Scolari
Avram Grant
Claudio Ranieri
Gianluca Vialli (RIP)
Ruud Guilit.

He should send Potter a thank you text because its he whose the only one stopping Poch propping up that particular table for decades I think.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

Cjay wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:09 pm We should suffer on paper, that Chelsea squad was assembled to win titles and should walk through us.

Poch though is struggling.

Worse win record than in terms of permanent managers
Lampard
Sarri
Conte
AVB
Di Matteo
Scolari
Avram Grant
Claudio Ranieri
Gianluca Vialli (RIP)
Ruud Guilit.

He should send Potter a thank you text because its he whose the only one stopping Poch propping up that particular table for decades I think.
Not entirely his fault. Every manager that has handled that squad has failed. I'm betting you included Lampard without including his temporary stint last season.

Blame it on Boehly for thinking it's like playing Football Manager. It's not a squad assembled by a manager. It's not even a squad assembled by a DoF. Needs a manager (like Farke this season) to put his foot down and say "these are the players I need." I wonder if they'll give him time to do it though,

Also imagine they're stuck into a few long term deals and FFP commitments that might make it difficult to streamline the current squad.
Chilli D
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Chilli D »

Bamford, Roberts and James will all start I reckon. I have a feeling Archie will be moved into midfield at the expense of Kamara.
I think DF will go with:
Meslier
Roberts
Rodon
Ampadu
Firpo
James
Gruev
Gray
Gnonto
Georginio
Bamford