Jesse Marsch- New Canada manager

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
PhoenixUnited
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Jesse Marsch- New Canada manager

Post by PhoenixUnited »

malcolmw wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:52 am Jesse has a system?? Who knew!
Where have you been? Basically, the system is that so much needs sorting out with the team so he can't ever be blamed for any of the matches in which his team loses, he is always hard done to by the officials and take his word for it, he will leave the team in so much of a better place than when he first arrived because he has read so many books, got so many theories and can spout nonsensical verbal diarrhoea which he completely believes in. Believe and trust in him and all will be well is his mantra and system :rant:
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

JoeDenver wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 2:15 am Argentina, 2-0. Could’ve been much worse if Argentina finished their chances. Canada had 2-3 good looks themselves that should’ve netted a goal, as well. Fair result. Jesse’s system is going to run these players ragged and, I suspect, they’re going to be gassed by that 3rd match.
This basically

Had moments tbf Canada (and I think Malcolm is right he wasted Alphonso Davies at left back).

Probably deserved a goal or two Canada.

But the high line was suicide.

Had Argentina had the shooting boots on they could have easily scored 5 or 6 more.
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

PhoenixUnited wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:39 am Where have you been? Basically, the system is that so much needs sorting out with the team so he can't ever be blamed for any of the matches in which his team loses, he is always hard done to by the officials and take his word for it, he will leave the team in so much of a better place than when he first arrived because he has read so many books, got so many theories and can spout nonsensical verbal diarrhoea which he completely believes in. Believe and trust in him and all will be well is his mantra and system :rant:
You should've seen his post match interview. Spent most of the time talking about how Argentina should be fined for coming out late for the second half, and how what they were doing was planning how to play against us and if we'd had the time, we could also be doing that.
Then he tried speaking French a bit.
Was a bit embarrassing actually.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Kennyb41 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:49 am Treat yourselves to Bert v Panama on Monday neet :tup:
He has a talented squad Kenny. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's done with them
PhoenixUnited
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by PhoenixUnited »

malcolmw wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:28 pm You should've seen his post match interview. Spent most of the time talking about how Argentina should be fined for coming out late for the second half, and how what they were doing was planning how to play against us and if we'd had the time, we could also be doing that.
He'd be my candidate for "Twat of the Week" if he weren't such an irrelevance! :)
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

IMG_20240622_130301.jpg
PhoenixUnited
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Sean_Nile wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:05 am IMG_20240622_130301.jpg
Boo hoo! A big boy did it and ran way!
Keep The Faith MOT WAL
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

malcolmw wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 4:28 pm You should've seen his post match interview. Spent most of the time talking about how Argentina should be fined for coming out late for the second half, and how what they were doing was planning how to play against us and if we'd had the time, we could also be doing that.
I thought you were joking.

As if he'd be so self centred and arrogant to think the World Champions desperately needed those extra few minutes to work him out because they were so worried.

You weren't

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... at-4675905
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 1:13 pm I thought you were joking.

As if he'd be so self centred and arrogant to think the World Champions desperately needed those extra few minutes to work him out because they were so worried.

You weren't

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... at-4675905
I think it is why our season, under Jessie, peaked after 3 matches. The opposition managers had time to work out his 'tactics.' Game 1 scraped past Wolves, no one really took any notice. Game 2 blew a 2-0 goal lead against Saints, no one really took any notice. 3rd match beat Chelsea 3-0 and most opposition managers thought, 'Oh better see how Leeds are playing.' Then next 8 matches saw us suffer 6 losses and 2 draws. Damn those opposition managers, fine them I say!
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

weasel wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:38 pm I think it is why our season, under Jessie, peaked after 3 matches. The opposition managers had time to work out his 'tactics.' Game 1 scraped past Wolves, no one really took any notice. Game 2 blew a 2-0 goal lead against Saints, no one really took any notice. 3rd match beat Chelsea 3-0 and most opposition managers thought, 'Oh better see how Leeds are playing.' Then next 8 matches saw us suffer 6 losses and 2 draws. Damn those opposition managers, fine them I say!
Love analysis does Jesse so he will be proud that the opta defined 9 big chances Argentina had is the most they have had since 2013 . . . . .

If only they hadn't had those few extra minutes.

Such a weird thing to moan about.

Know why he's done it, they had a slightly higher xG than Argentina at half time.
Signed

King Cjay

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Cjay wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:02 pm Love analysis does Jesse so he will be proud that the opta defined 9 big chances Argentina had is the most they have had since 2013 . . . . .

If only they hadn't had those few extra minutes.

Such a weird thing to moan about.

Know why he's done it, they had a slightly higher xG than Argentina at half time.
A common theme in all his interviews - including when with us - is that he seldom talks about or gives credit to players in his analysis. It's always about how 'we're getting closer to my expectations....'
Compare this interview after the Arg game with Davies' (captain) assessment - which was a far more thoughtful and 'real' analysis.

Great managers - and leaders in any industry - may have strong ego's, but they always put a focus on helping/building their people.
Jesse always makes it about him.

Does he not realize the squad will all go their separate ways back to their clubs very soon. His approach won't do anything to build unity.
Sadly our local sports media are so desperate for any good news about our men's national team, they are lapping up Jesse’s BS.
It's not going to end well.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:34 pm A common theme in all his interviews - including when with us - is that he seldom talks about or gives credit to players in his analysis. It's always about how 'we're getting closer to my expectations....'
Compare this interview after the Arg game with Davies' (captain) assessment - which was a far more thoughtful and 'real' analysis.

Great managers - and leaders in any industry - may have strong ego's, but they always put a focus on helping/building their people.

Does he not realize the squad will all go their separate ways back to their clubs very soon. His approach won't do anything to build unity.
Sadly our local sports media are so desperate for any good news about our men's national team, they are lapping up Jesse’s BS.
Sad that there isn't a bigger understanding of the game and Jesse is seen as something of an expert. He's managed in 3 European countries and won a European league. Ignores the fact that he was found badly lacking in the premier league and bundesliga. I kind of wish he'd finished the season with us. That he wouldn't have been able to blame anyone else for the relegation.

He gets top media attention over here. But then so do Warren Barton and Alexi Lalas. The Fox panel has some real turds on it. At least NBC/Peacock has a decent crew.

That said, I did think Canada put up a good show against Argentina. Ironically, it was their star player, Aphonso Davies that fluffed a couple of really good chances. Hate to give Jesse credit, but he came out of that game well. Let's see what happens next.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:09 pm Sad that there isn't a bigger understanding of the game and Jesse is seen as something of an expert. He's managed in 3 European countries and won a European league. Ignores the fact that he was found badly lacking in the premier league and bundesliga. I kind of wish he'd finished the season with us. That he wouldn't have been able to blame anyone else for the relegation.

He gets top media attention over here. But then so do Warren Barton and Alexi Lalas. The Fox panel has some real turds on it. At least NBC/Peacock has a decent crew.

That said, I did think Canada put up a good show against Argentina. Ironically, it was their star player, Aphonso Davies that fluffed a couple of really good chances. Hate to give Jesse credit, but he came out of that game well. Let's see what happens next.
But that's the trend with him. He often takes over a team that has actually been well coached. He rides that for a few games and takes the credit. Then - through ignorance and arrogance - screws things up royally.

I said when he was hired that the Canadian national team had actually been going in the right direction thanks to some decent coaching - and in spite of a national association who couldnt organize a piss up in a brewery! Those idiots then bought his American big talk and got "star-struck". He will not move this squad forward because of his giant self-centred ego.

On the media side, I will not touch any Fox channel with a barge pole. Thank God our Canadian sports channels do get some decent analysts - usually from the UK and use the UK commentary feeds. When in the US, I have used Peacock, but try to pay to get our local stuff - certainly wont watch US news channels.
andrewjohnsmith
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by andrewjohnsmith »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:24 pm But that's the trend with him. He often takes over a team that has actually been well coached. He rides that for a few games and takes the credit. Then - through ignorance and arrogance - screws things up royally.

I said when he was hired that the Canadian national team had actually been going in the right direction thanks to some decent coaching - and in spite of a national association who couldnt organize a piss up in a brewery! Those idiots then bought his American big talk and got "star-struck". He will not move this squad forward because of his giant self-centred ego.

On the media side, I will not touch any Fox channel with a barge pole. Thank God our Canadian sports channels do get some decent analysts - usually from the UK and use the UK commentary feeds. When in the US, I have used Peacock, but try to pay to get our local stuff - certainly wont watch US news channels.
I haven't followed the Canada team much. But I do know from USA coverage that they have been on the rise in recent years.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

andrewjohnsmith wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 6:28 pm I haven't followed the Canada team much. But I do know from USA coverage that they have been on the rise in recent years.
Yes, some decent players.
They hired the coach who had real success coaching the women's national team - John Herdman. He seems to have an approach that players can easily buy-into and he was building a good level of cohesion. But Canadian Men's football - like I said - has poor administrators and there's been a bunch on in-fighting and money-wasting.
I don't think they were paying him enough and he got poached by Toronto FC in the MLS who have a bunch of cash.

I've no doubt they're paying dear Jesse a bunch more.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

malcolmw wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:34 pm A common theme in all his interviews - including when with us - is that he seldom talks about or gives credit to players in his analysis. It's always about how 'we're getting closer to my expectations....'

It's all about him I think is the impression he always gives.

If it goes well it's his ideas what he did what he said.

If it doesn't it's someone else's fault.
Signed

King Cjay

weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I can see Canada getting some good results against bigger teams. We saw with Leeds that it shocked the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool who probably underestimated us and played 'their' way against us, playing it out every time from the back despite it being the one tactic that struggled against Jessie's 'tactic.'

I could see teams like Spain, France etc struggling against them but then as presumably happened against Argentina the opposition were quickly able to work out what to do differently and as such Jessie's tactics are then hopelessly exposed.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

1st win as Canada manager for Jesse yesterday.

1-0 vs Peru.

Peru had 10 men for 30 minutes (during which time Canada scored).

No idea how they played.
Signed

King Cjay

malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

Cjay wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:15 am 1st win as Canada manager for Jesse yesterday.

1-0 vs Peru.

Peru had 10 men for 30 minutes (during which time Canada scored).

No idea how they played.
Played OK cjay. They were the better team. I do have to acknowledge they looked quite well organized.
But Peru were weak.
Their next game is on Saturday against Chile. Will be a different story.
But I've always wondered whether Jesse isn't more suited to managing at international level. We've discussed this on the forum before, and I think there may be something to it.
Uruguay came together well under Bielsa. A few lapses, but couple of brilliant goals. Very talented squad.
malcolmw
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by malcolmw »

USA vs Chile in 10 mins. Could be interesting