The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th July) Silence is deafening

For everything Leeds United related and everything not - Have your say... the Marching on Together way!
Forum rules
Please be sure you are acquainted with the forum rules outlined within our FAQs.

Help support the site by using our Amazon Affiliate link when making any purchases from Amazon.
Ellandback1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Twitter: @EllandBack1

Breakfast Debate The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th July) Silence is deafening

Post by Ellandback1 »

Good Morning. It's Thursday 11th July, and here are the latest headlines from Elland Road...

Silence is deafening

In less than a months time the new Championship season kicks-off, and despite being more than a third of the way through the Summer transfer window, all remain quiet on the transfer front! The signing of Joe Rodon was a massive coup, particularly as he was being chased by several top flight clubs, but, if Leeds are going to achieve automatic promotion, they'll need some serious strengthening.

Past experience tells us that leaving signings to the last minute never ends well, but here we are, 30 days before the visit of Portsmouth, and there are glaring gaps which must be filled if the Whites are to get off to a better start than they did this time last year.

O'Hare not a priority signing

Callum O'Hare is not a priority signing for Leeds, according to Graham Symth, the Chief Football Writer for the Yorkshire Evening Post. OHare, 26, is a free agent after seeing out his contract at Coventry City. His battling performances, and scoring ability (10 goals in 21 starts last season) make him a strong contender for a Leeds midfield with only one league goal during their 23/24 campaign.

Midfielders Ilea Gruev and Glen Kamara have both been strongly linked with moves away from Elland Road this Summer, yet according to Smyth, there are no imminent signs that he will become a Leeds player anytime soon. Their lack of urgency have prompted Sheffield Utd to join the race, with one media outlet quoting as their headline 'O'Hare's free agent status and Leeds United's lack of urgency in pursuing him could benefit Sheffield United in the transfer market'. According to Smyth...

I would still love to see a number 10 come in,” At the minute I don’t get the feeling that it’s going to be O’Hare because we’re told there’s nothing imminent right now with him from Leeds, and I don’t get the feeling they’re chasing that one as an urgent priority.

Leeds odds on favourites to top Championship

Leeds are outright favourites to top the Championship next season, and return to the Premier League, according to Bet365. The betting giants place Leeds 7/2 favourites to go up as Champions, ahead of Burnley 8/1, Luton 10/1 and Boro 14/1. Coventry City, West Brom, Norwich and Sheffield Utd are all 16/1 outsiders.

lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Re: The #LUFC Breakfast Debate (Thursday 11th July) Silence is deafening

Post by lufc1304 »

I think things will ramp up once the Euros finish. Those international tournaments are often shop windows and clubs keep their powder dry until after they've seen how players they're keen on have performed. I'm not interested in what anyone else is doing, but hasn't it been quiet, transfer-wise, in general?

O'Hare looks like the sort of midfielder we should be looking at, 1 goal from our midfield last year says it all. Hope we don't miss a trick there.

I like a flutter, but I never bet on or against Leeds, just feels wrong.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Is O'Hare as quick as a hare and as jinksy.

Shouldn't we be looking at John Swift

and I heard Usain Bolt was interested in becoming a footballer.

We should be looking for player like Dash, Fleet, or Lightfoot if we want real success at this club.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Re the euros shop window comment, I agree, however i think how that affects teams like us is we will be looking at the players who are being nudged out from the teams who are doing the window shopping. I can’t see us being interested in any players from the last 8 teams (more likely them being interested in us), so it’s looking like scraps for us.

The downside of last minutes transfers is the lack of pre season prep. Look how badly that affected kamara last season. It was arguably November before he got going, then dropped off again in March.
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Orange Box
Manager
Manager

Post by Orange Box »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:52 am Is O'Hare as quick as a hare and as jinksy.

We should be looking for player like Dash, Fleet, or Lightfoot if we want real success at this club.
A nifty little post there Sean
WARNING: During game time, any post I make is not to be taken seriously, neither is it meant as offence. I'm a hot-blooded creature prone to moments of exasperation and expletive.
Kennyb41
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Kennyb41 »

Calm down r kid, calm down, i can almost feel your heart a poundin Elland.

Wait till he's spoke with the 'desert rats', because Clown A has left LUFC in a very awkward (delicate even) precarious position, where our current boss, no matter how hard he tries, is still juggling like fck with boths hands tied.

We can't do business, no matter how much we might want to, if we don't know where the fck we are with....A,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l ???

You catch my drift ? He's still gotta try and sort out Jesses mob yet.....

But yes, time is ticking.
Not dependent on Google, the www or 'stats' - Just a guy that puts his eyes to full use on the beautiful game :geek:
Must dash.
;@)
lufc1304
Superstar
Superstar
Twitter: @DrGonzo2411

Post by lufc1304 »

Orange Box wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:55 am Re the euros shop window comment, I agree, however i think how that affects teams like us is we will be looking at the players who are being nudged out from the teams who are doing the window shopping. I can’t see us being interested in any players from the last 8 teams (more likely them being interested in us), so it’s looking like scraps for us.

The downside of last minutes transfers is the lack of pre season prep. Look how badly that affected kamara last season. It was arguably November before he got going, then dropped off again in March.
that's where I was coming from, OB, but I don't think that necessarily means we'd be feeding on scraps. Could be that we can loan/buy a good Prem player because he's been nudged out by a better player. And yes, we're not buying from the quarter finalists, but there's still a lot of moving pieces in any transfer and I do think things will ramp up from next week onwards. Certainly hope so, as I'm not a fan of last minute business either.
"When the going gets weird, the weird get professional!" Hunter S Thompson
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

Raphinha was a last minute signing...

We don't know who is leaving yet.

Let's see what happens once they get to.Leipzig
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:52 am Is O'Hare as quick as a hare and as jinksy.

Mwambe Rapidfucker being linked with us according to Football Insider www.areyoureallygoingtoclickthislink.com
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:20 am Raphinha was a last minute signing...

We don't know who is leaving yet.

Let's see what happens once they get to.Leipzig
Indeed at the moment the only first team starter to leave is Gray. No point replacing Summerville, for example, until he leaves. We don't know what Farke's plans are with Rasmus it may be that he sees him as a fit at rightback - after all he did put up expressive stats for assists and goals in Austria so whilst he may not be prem class, certainly not at defending, he may, similar to Firpo, be a good fit for us as an attacking fullback.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

Kennyb41 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:03 am hard he tries, is still juggling like fck with boths hands tied.
Football Insider reported that Farke is considering dropping everything to become a juggler in a circus.
Sean_Nile
First Team
First Team

Post by Sean_Nile »

weasel wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:23 am Mwambe Rapidfucker being linked with us according to Football Insider www.areyoureallygoingtoclickthislink.com
The reports of signing Marcus Schweinstagger don't look so promising cos they say he wanders about the pitch half drunk.
Cjay
Superstar
Superstar

Post by Cjay »

Farke himself said he expected things to be smoother etc plans afoot.

Hoped to have most of the squad in by pre season.

That won't be happening.

Has all the hallmarks of a slow start not my fault guv, difficult August, September, October, November again :)

But also all the hallmarks of the usual cost cutting you also see for teams in a 2nd Championship season.

Not a shock
Signed

King Cjay

Fountain of all knowledge and wisdom
John in Louisiana
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by John in Louisiana »

Sean_Nile wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:10 am The reports of signing Marcus Schweinstagger don't look so promising cos they say he wanders about the pitch half drunk.
Rumor has it he's the next coach of the USMNT
Irish Ian
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Post by Irish Ian »

If no-one was to leave, what do folks think we should bring in?
'
"Football is about the people and the players,” he said. “Then there are those who will mingle in the middle: the coaches, executives and journalists. That last group represents the worst part about football" Marcelo Bielsa
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Irish Ian wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:27 am If no-one was to leave, what do folks think we should bring in?
GK - Ilan Meslier
RB - ?????
LB - Junior Firpo
DMF - Ethan Ampadu
RCB - Joe Rodon
LCB - Pascal Struijk - capt
RW - Wilfred Gnonto
#8 - ?????
#9 - Joel Piroe
AMF - Georginio
LW - Crysencio Summerville

Matchday bench

GK - Karl Darlow
R/L WB - Sam Byram
LWB - ????
RCB - ????
LCB - ????
DMF - Ilia Gruev
DMF - Glenn Kamara
RW - Dan James
LW - ?????
AMF - Brendon Aaronson
AMF - Joe Gelhardt
FOR - Mateo Joseph
FOR - Patrick Bamford
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

6 as it stands for me to attain a 24 man squad, happy for some of these to be youth team players too but we don't really have any left in the youth team so would likely have to buy those. As we sell players they also need replacing..
"Any artistic decision which is based on whether or not you're going to make money isn't an artistic decision, it's a business decision"
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

I don't hear any links suggesting Rasmus is unhappy and wants to leave or that any teams are interested in him. As such I would guess Farke may look to use him. He can play (albeit not brilliantly) anywhere accross the back line.
The Subhuman
Superstar
Superstar

Post by The Subhuman »

Useful player off the bench, started life as a CB, went to left wing back then under Mr Motivator he became a right wing back. Need to hear him or the club say he's staying though as they did Aaronson, before he gets in the squad list
weasel
Superstar
Superstar

Post by weasel »

The Subhuman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:16 pm Useful player off the bench, started life as a CB, went to left wing back then under Mr Motivator he became a right wing back. Need to hear him or the club say he's staying though as they did Aaronson, before he gets in the squad list
Would imagine that he hasn't been in training with us yet due to being at the euros.

Possibly no real commitment from either side, i.e. he'd rather go but has no offers and we'd rather sell him but have had no offers so it isn't like it would make sense for us to say he is part of the plans or that he isn't - and similarly the same for him no point him saying he wants to be here and then leaving the next day when an offer comes in or him saying he wants to leave but then having no option but being part of our squad when no offers come in.